Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
kmeng
0 Kudos

Help some sentences

I'm reading this novel second time in great details and find that some paragraphs are very difficult for me to understand well since I'm not a native English speaker. I need your help. My first one is the last paragraph on page 9. "He lay listening to the water drip in the woods. Bedrock, this. The cold and the silence." What is the meaning here? Especially the "Bedrock, this." Appreciate your help.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Help some sentences

kmeng wrote:
I'm reading this novel second time in great details and find that some paragraphs are very difficult for me to understand well since I'm not a native English speaker. I need your help. My first one is the last paragraph on page 9. "He lay listening to the water drip in the woods. Bedrock, this. The cold and the silence." What is the meaning here? Especially the "Bedrock, this." Appreciate your help.

I am not sure how to approach your question kmeng. The first thing that I would do is to get two books to have beside me when I am reading. First, would be a good English dictionary like Websters and possibly a thesaurus. I would read the sentence and see if there were any words which I did not understand and know the meaning of and I would look up their meaning in the dictionary.

For example, bedrock:

bed·rock (bĕd'rŏk')
n. (this means it is a noun)

The solid rock that underlies loose material, such as soil, sand, clay, or gravel.

The very basis; the foundation: Ownership of land is the bedrock of democracy.
The lowest point: personal finances that were at bedrock.

He was listening to the silence around him and realized that he was left with silence and cold (nothing to warm him or his soul). Humanity being wiped out and the planet dying (if not dead). The book itself is about the love of a father for his son and his son for his father alone in an apocalyptic world. There is only that love for each other that keeps hope alive.
New User
randomsense
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kmeng wrote:

I had to read this for school this summer and do a dialectical notebook on it. This was my first passage that I analyzed, so I've a detailed explanation already prepared.

If you continue to read it says the "ashes of the late world [are] carried on the bleak and temporal winds... Everything uncoupled from its shoring."

This is integral to understanding the significance of the bedrock. This entire passage is an extended metaphor used throughout the novel, and the comparison of bedrock and ash has a double meaning.

First, the literal reading of this shows the fragility of something that once seemed indestructible: modern society and technology. Ironically, this passage shows that the true foundation of the world lies not in society but in nature.

Second, this is a political statement about the necessity of coexistence and codependency between man and nature. One of the important points of the book is to show the consequences of man neglecting nature.

In summation, this passage should be read as such things as the water dripping in the woods being the foundation of the world. The ashes are the modern world, completely torn apart and their fragility revealed at last. The cold and silence are nature's consequences for man.

[If some of that didn't make sense due to the language gap, I'd be glad to clarify.]

Message Edited by randomsense on 08-03-2007 02:23 PM
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

randomsense wrote:

kmeng wrote:

I had to read this for school this summer and do a dialectical notebook on it. This was my first passage that I analyzed, so I've a detailed explanation already prepared.

If you continue to read it says the "ashes of the late world [are] carried on the bleak and temporal winds... Everything uncoupled from its shoring."

This is integral to understanding the significance of the bedrock. This entire passage is an extended metaphor used throughout the novel, and the comparison of bedrock and ash has a double meaning.

First, the literal reading of this shows the fragility of something that once seemed indestructible: modern society and technology. Ironically, this passage shows that the true foundation of the world lies not in society but in nature.

Second, this is a political statement about the necessity of coexistence and codependency between man and nature. One of the important points of the book is to show the consequences of man neglecting nature.

In summation, this passage should be read as such things as the water dripping in the woods being the foundation of the world. The ashes are the modern world, completely torn apart and their fragility revealed at last. The cold and silence are nature's consequences for man.

[If some of that didn't make sense due to the language gap, I'd be glad to clarify.]

Message Edited by randomsense on 08-03-2007 02:23 PM

Interesting analysis..I am always amazed how many different meanings any passage in the book can have. I came away feeling that this book had a unique interpretation for everybody depending upon their lives circumstances.
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 227 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: