Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
randomsense
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Like I said, this type of writing isn't really my cup of tea. I normally stick with the classics. I might read another one though, since I'm a firm believer in giving author's a second chance. I hated Faulkner the first time I read a collection of his short stories, but reading As I Lay Dying completely redeemed him. Perhaps it'll be that way for McCarthy.
New User
stewie1192
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Robin Stewart, I am from Prince Edward Island Canada and I am a big fan of Cormac McCarthy's the road, it was possibly one of the best books I have read

Now I have a question for any people who want to reply to this: We are given many indications of the existance of evil in out world. considering this novel, determine what Cormac McCarthy is suggesting about the forces of good and evil.
Contributor
Finns_dad
0 Kudos

Hi Robin, I hadn't really thought of issues of good and evil, well, not in the metaphysical sense in this book anyway! I think there isn't an issue of moral judgement for me, because even the most horrific acts of barbarism in the book, both "witnessed" directly or mention in flashback, are acts of starving and desperate people, and that makes me sad, but ultimately unable to judge them in the sense of "good and evil". I get a stong feeling that even with the religious imagery in the book, the world in which the Man and Boy inhabit has also being deserted by religion as well, I get no sense of "good" and "evil" in the sense of a "Stand"-like battle between the forces of.., just a horrible emptiness, and an ultimately futile effort for the few survivors to keep on living. The only struggle I see is more of one of morality, i.e. the segregation of survivors into those who would turn to canibalism and those who would not. If my proffered interpretation of an actual biblical apocalypse would hold water, then I get the feeling of good and evil having fought the Last Battle, divied up the "spoils" and gone off home to wherever they reside leaving what is left to putter out of existence, having no further interest in the world of men...Are we saying as has been mentioned elsewhere that the Man is evil and the Boy good? Now I am getting confused!

Just for the intro, I am 39 and work as an environmental scientist in Ireland, having being an army officer in a previous life. I would like to say I think I have an above average grasp on any military or environmental issues raised by The Road, but as for religious input, I am the last person to ask!
New User
Kades_Dad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello to the few still haunting this forum. Thought I would give on-line book discussions a try and thought I would start by finding an active discussion about the most impactful fiction book I'd read recently. This seems to be the most active one I could find apart from the Cormac McCarthy Society forum which was terribly organized (not even forums organized by his books - just haphazard for the most part) and seemed populated by more than a few snide folks.

I have been a fan of McCarthy's writing and in all honesty I have enjoyed the terser writing style of his last two works. However, as I thought about what to say for an introduction I realized this may not have been the best book for me to start with after all. I first read this book in a day about 9 months ago and have reread it once and continued to reflect on it. As a new father (my son is almost 3) it just bowled me over emotionally so that's why I say it may not be the best book for me to have chosen to start with. I probably will lack some necessary objectivity.

It is the most devastating and beautiful love story between a father and his son that I have ever read. A poem that comes close to evoking what this book does is a spare and laser perceptive one by Sherman Alexie.

When I Was My Father I Sang Love Songs to My Son

Drunk like that, I
imagined myself as

you, drunk like that
and carried the same

small ambition: I
only wanted to live

one day longer than you.

I have begun preparing a box of letters, CDs and books for my own son. I certainly hope and plan to live a long, long time but reality may be different than what I wish. This book is a part of that box for him should something happen to me. I can think of no works of art that I have ever read or seen that have evoked so powerfully what it feels to be a father and what we as father's receive in return for those feelings (The mother gets some startling short shrift treatment in the book that still puzzles me.)

Since a few folks are still following this forum, I'll try to find something constructive or worthwhile to share in the several very good threads about the book already started. By way of a nuts and bolts introduction: I am 39, live in Colorado and work as a psychotherapist.

Message Edited by Kades_Dad on 11-30-2007 01:21 PM
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 266 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: