Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi Jessica

Good to see you here too.

I am thinking about joining this discussion.

Now I have to buy the book.

Another book club I belong to has just finished No Country for Old Men. It was a wonderful read and provoked a really fine conversation.

I am going to think about it a bit more and then make a decision. I have been warned that the book is an very emotional experience...

Lizabeth
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

dianearbus wrote:
Hi Jessica

Good to see you here too.

I am thinking about joining this discussion.

Now I have to buy the book.

Another book club I belong to has just finished No Country for Old Men. It was a wonderful read and provoked a really fine conversation.

I am going to think about it a bit more and then make a decision. I have been warned that the book is an very emotional experience...

Lizabeth

Emotional experience indeed! Take the plunge. You won't regret it!
Frequent Contributor
Erato
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Susanne from the Pacific Northwest. I had a different moniker in the old BNU book clubs where I was quite active.
Now, I'm involved in a plethora of on-line discussion sites, so don't know how active I'll be here.

BUT, I really encourage everyone to read this book!
It will resonate within you for A LONG TIME.

Lizabeth, it was not as difficult (at least for me) as those early posts I quoted elsewhere. I think you'd really take a lot away reading this book, especially after NCFOM, which, I think, was much more disturbing.

A little of my verse about it...

On The Road wandered Father and Son
Amid chaos aberrant and undone
Alive to carry the fire
Predestined not to tire
Periled son fated to be the one.

And McCarthy who NEVER gives interviews is going to be on Oprah! This is an amazing turn of events. He has been a recluse for years, abhorring interviews.
Frequent Contributor
Mariposa
0 Kudos

I bought the book.

Lizabeth
New User
Mescorn
0 Kudos

Hello. Im Lori, and a constant reader. I've enjoyed all sorts of genre, done the chick lit thing, books with ghost and afterlife themes (odd Thomas series, heart shaped box) went through a huge chunk of the Christian/catholic conspiracy novels (Dan brown and the likes), moved into plague and epidemic novels (Germ, pandemic), and now THE ROAD, which is my first book covering post-apoctalyptic themes.

I read this book in one day. The writing was so smooth and flowed so quickly that before I knew it I was half way through in one sitting. The book hooks you from the first line and it was hard to put it down once I began. I found myself suffering along with the father and son, and couldn't put the book down for fear of what was on the next page. And to think I waited to by it because I had never read anything by this author before. He seems to write a lot about the country, and the south, and Im not a cowboy and farmland kinda girl. But I have to say this book blew me away. I think I mostly enjoyed the way he kept the background and descriptions of locations to a minimum. He repeated the same visuals over and over again to drive the points home -- it was cold. Always cold. And everything was burned and covered in ash. He didn't bore you with in depth overwhelming scenery like some other authors do.

I also don't make a habit of joining book discussions. After reading these threads though, I was amazed at how in depth everyone gets on the subjects of the books. I am learning so much, and am actually sort of depressed that I didn't pick up on some of the things you guys are bringing to the table here. I don't really know many people that read as much as I do, so I don't get the opportunity to sit and discuss books once I've read them. I look forward to seeing more of your insights and am excited to try and add some of mine in as well.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Mescorn wrote:
Hello. Im Lori, and a constant reader. I've enjoyed all sorts of genre, done the chick lit thing, books with ghost and afterlife themes (odd Thomas series, heart shaped box) went through a huge chunk of the Christian/catholic conspiracy novels (Dan brown and the likes), moved into plague and epidemic novels (Germ, pandemic), and now THE ROAD, which is my first book covering post-apoctalyptic themes.

I read this book in one day. The writing was so smooth and flowed so quickly that before I knew it I was half way through in one sitting. The book hooks you from the first line and it was hard to put it down once I began. I found myself suffering along with the father and son, and couldn't put the book down for fear of what was on the next page. And to think I waited to by it because I had never read anything by this author before. He seems to write a lot about the country, and the south, and Im not a cowboy and farmland kinda girl. But I have to say this book blew me away. I think I mostly enjoyed the way he kept the background and descriptions of locations to a minimum. He repeated the same visuals over and over again to drive the points home -- it was cold. Always cold. And everything was burned and covered in ash. He didn't bore you with in depth overwhelming scenery like some other authors do.

I also don't make a habit of joining book discussions. After reading these threads though, I was amazed at how in depth everyone gets on the subjects of the books. I am learning so much, and am actually sort of depressed that I didn't pick up on some of the things you guys are bringing to the table here. I don't really know many people that read as much as I do, so I don't get the opportunity to sit and discuss books once I've read them. I look forward to seeing more of your insights and am excited to try and add some of mine in as well.

Good to have you here, Lori. We're looking forward to any questions, comments, and/or insights you may have regarding the Road!
New User
GlenFL
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! My name is Glen, and I live in Orlando, FL. This is my first time participating in a book club.. I just picked up a copy of The Road tonight, and can't wait to get started!
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

GlenFL wrote:
Hi everyone! My name is Glen, and I live in Orlando, FL. This is my first time participating in a book club.. I just picked up a copy of The Road tonight, and can't wait to get started!

Nice to meet you, Glen! Hope you enjoy the book and the discussion.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

dianearbus wrote: I have been warned that the book is an very emotional experience...

Lizabeth

That shouldn't be so dangerous, should it?
:smileyhappy: ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,
I am a long time visitor on the BN forums. I was to pick up The Road in library at the end of MArch but half an hour before I arrived some other body picked it up, so I do not have the book for reference. Now after the Pulitzer announcement the line grew exponentially :smileyhappy:

Perhaps he finds anew audience now.

Anyhow I like CmC's economy of language and his way to handle the language freely but accurately ('foot the shadow' example etc.) I appreciate his sharp observation and poetry. I like less the punctuation game and violence and I struggle with the 'bible-bits'. I didn't yet come totally to terms with him as a writer.

ziki
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hi, I am Vivian from Oklahoma. Since the club is continuing this book for May also, I bought it and read it. Sooo, is there going to be anyone new in here for may to go along with me, or am I just going to be reading whats been posted and done with and not have anyone to bounce things off of? Anyone else out there just reading it for May??
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hi, I am Vivian from Oklahoma. Since the club is continuing this book for May also, I bought it and read it. Sooo, is there going to be anyone new in here for may to go along with me, or am I just going to be reading whats been posted and done with and not have anyone to bounce things off of? Anyone else out there just reading it for May??

I'm with you, vivico. How'd you like the book? Impressions, questions, etc.?
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Sooo, is there going to be anyone new in here for may to go along with me, or am I just going to be reading whats been posted and done with and not have anyone to bounce things off of? Anyone else out there just reading it for May??

I'm still here. There are more things left to discuss in the book, I think.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

none

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by ziki on 04-30-200703:48 PM

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Well, it was a fantastic book to read, but as I feared, to read it for May, even with it continuing thru May, was just too late for any real discussion since it was done in April. I think I will stick to start up discussion groups from now on. This was an overwhelming book to me and i really was looking to discuss it more. I read all the posts and there were many things I never saw discussed. More about feelings the book evoked, that scenes evoked, other things like that besides just the symbolism of each thing in it. Yes its full of symbolism but so much of the posts from april were just about trying to figure those out and my guess is a lot you never will and the author is not going to give away all of it, he is going to want to know what people came away from the book with other than solving the puzzles in it. They were good posts but theres so much more to the book and I dont see anyone new in here besides me. oh well, glad I read it anyway and thank you PaulH for at least discussing some with me, throwing some ideas out there but might as well have closed this club down this month :smileysad: If Oprah has him on anytime this month, i will check back then i guess, cause maybe those who have read it will come back, or others will come. LOL now i sound like I am on the road alone, looking for who has the fire cause all that were here before are gone!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Well, it was a fantastic book to read, but as I feared, to read it for May, even with it continuing thru May, was just too late for any real discussion since it was done in April. I think I will stick to start up discussion groups from now on. This was an overwhelming book to me and i really was looking to discuss it more. I read all the posts and there were many things I never saw discussed. More about feelings the book evoked, that scenes evoked, other things like that besides just the symbolism of each thing in it. Yes its full of symbolism but so much of the posts from april were just about trying to figure those out and my guess is a lot you never will and the author is not going to give away all of it, he is going to want to know what people came away from the book with other than solving the puzzles in it. They were good posts but theres so much more to the book and I dont see anyone new in here besides me. oh well, glad I read it anyway and thank you PaulH for at least discussing some with me, throwing some ideas out there but might as well have closed this club down this month :smileysad: If Oprah has him on anytime this month, i will check back then i guess, cause maybe those who have read it will come back, or others will come. LOL now i sound like I am on the road alone, looking for who has the fire cause all that were here before are gone!

Vivian,

You are really funny..I laughed out loud when I saw the last sentence. Sorry we are all off elsewhere. I did respond to one of your other posts when I popped back in. The book is indeed powerful but left me and others feeling more than a bit uncomfortable. Maybe everyone just needed some comic relief and are off reading something light or new to get a break from the solemnity of The Road. The prose was beautiful.

See you in another forum. Ciao

Bentley
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I'm Maxcat and hail from NC. Glad to see this book held over into May as I was planning to join the group last month but was in another B&N Club and didn't have time to read it. I have an audiotape of it. Sounds like a very eerie world the man and boy are walking through.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:
I'm Maxcat and hail from NC. Glad to see this book held over into May as I was planning to join the group last month but was in another B&N Club and didn't have time to read it. I have an audiotape of it. Sounds like a very eerie world the man and boy are walking through.

glad you could join us, Maxcat.
New User
randomsense
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Chelsi. This is my senior year of high school and I had to read this as a summer assignment for my advanced English class. That probably makes me the youngest person here, but I've maintained a college reading level since elementary school and I'd venture to say I've read more true literature than some here.

I normally wouldn't touch a book like this. I'm a fan of modern literature, but not this kind I guess. The fact that it was endorsed by Oprah made me want to read it even less. Every year for class they have two good books to read and one bad one, at least in my opinion. Since this year it's Hamlet, The Invisible Man, and The Road, this is the bad one.

The fact that I don't like this book is the reason I'm here. I normally hate to have to rip apart and analyze books for class because I think it ruins the book. Since this book was so horrible, I feel like analyzing it is really the only thing to do with it. This is made easy because the author makes everything into a symbol or metaphor and there are a million different themes. The thing that really turns me off is that it's like the author's tried too hard to write the perfect modern novel. He's got Faulkner's lack of punctuation, Vonnegut's roundabout way of talking, and Camus' existentialism. It's like when you write essays in junior high with the strict five-paragraph format. He needs to step out of his college literature class and do something truly original, not something that tries way too hard to seem original.

I feel kind of weird joining up with a bunch of McCarthy fans to discuss the book, but a little opposition is good. What's a discussion without a debate, right?
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome, Chelsi. We can certainly agree to disagree. If you can stand it, you may want to visit McCarthy's earlier works before you dismiss him completely. Many of his fans even agree with you in their dislike of The Road, but that being said, McCarthy, in my humble opinion, is still one of America's greatest living writers.
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 1,037 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: