Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Hello Everyone!

Please take a moment and introduce yourself.

My name is Paul and I’m a life long reader living in the New York metropolitan area. As you can guess, I’m a big, big fan of McCarthy’s work.
Contributor
litguy
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

My name is Michael, from Brooklyn, New York. I started reading Cormac McCarthy's work only recently (The Orchard Keeper, Outer Dark) but have already been awed by the power and precision of his prose. Originally, I thought to work my way toward The Road but this opportunity to read it now seems just right
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome, Michael. Aside from the Border Trilogy, which McCarthy didn't even compose in order, his books can be read as stand-alones. So yes, now's as good a time as any to jump into The Road.
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

I'm also a long-time fan, going way back (I was introduced, as many were, to McCarthy through the amazing Blood Meridian). His more laid-back novel Suttree is another personal favorite. I liked his recent thriller No Country for Old Men well enough, but it seems like a bagatelle compared to The Road; for all that The Road is short, this is one of the most intense novels of the past couple of years.

Somebody I know said of the movie Children of Men, "That's the most depressing movie I'd ever want to see again," which is a little how The Road strikes me; it's a very dark story, but it has a power to it which makes you want to come back again.

PaulH wrote:
Hello Everyone!

Please take a moment and introduce yourself.

My name is Paul and I’m a life long reader living in the New York metropolitan area. As you can guess, I’m a big, big fan of McCarthy’s work.

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

"Power and precision" -- indeed, litguy! One thing that's impressive about McCarthy is how he can take on transcendental and apocalyptic themes but still stay so grounded in a very tangible physical reality. One of the most disturbing things about this book is how easily one can visualize the ash-choked world he conjures.

litguy wrote:
My name is Michael, from Brooklyn, New York. I started reading Cormac McCarthy's work only recently (The Orchard Keeper, Outer Dark) but have already been awed by the power and precision of his prose. Originally, I thought to work my way toward The Road but this opportunity to read it now seems just right

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking forward to reading The Road.

I've actually studied McCarthy quite a bit; for a part of my thesis years ago, I dissected The Border Trilogy, mainly to get at McCarthy's definitions of "Americaness" and more pointedly "Indianess." For those of you who haven't read these three books, they're essentially a eulogy to the American frontier.

I'm interested to see how The Road continues this theme. I'll jump back in with some thoughts after I've read a ways into the book.

How is everyone else liking the book so far? Were you a little surprised that this was an Oprah pick? In a way, I was. On the other hand, I'm happy to see her shaking it up, too.

We'll talk soon!
Jessica
Book Club Editor
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
Were you a little surprised that this was an Oprah pick? In a way, I was. On the other hand, I'm happy to see her shaking it up, too.

We'll talk soon!
Jessica
Book Club Editor

Jessica, I was surprised as well...maybe I should say "more than a little surprised" that Oprah chose this as her pick. It doesn't seem to fit the profile of most of her selections. At first glance, she doesn't usually choose a book which focuses on destruction or devastation of a future world.

But having said that, Oprah usually also does not flinch from dealing with topics which challenge and move folks at the gut level either. One thread of similarity though with many of her other selections is that she does focus on books which show the strength of the human spirit. Possibly that is one of the many reasons why this book is such a good choice. I have not had the pleasure of reading this book yet but am very curious about it and plan to purchase it over the weekend. I look forward to reading this as I have time and reading the discussions.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome Bentley. I think you're spot on with your comment on the "strength of the human spirit". That's among the strongest themes in The Road. I look forward to your participation as you delve further into the book.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:
Welcome Bentley. I think you're spot on with your comment on the "strength of the human spirit". That's among the strongest themes in The Road. I look forward to your participation as you delve further into the book.

Thank you.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

I second that! A story about a parent and child facing incredible odds ... that's pure Oprah.

Talk to you soon,
Jessica
Contributor
yourgirlie
0 Kudos

Hello! My name is Jonlyn from Louisville, KY. I work at a local B&N and always try to read what my customers are reading, which is why I picked up this book. I haven't read anything by McCarthy before, but maybe this will be the beginning of a long, beautiful relationship?? :smileytongue:

~Jonlyn~
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

yourgirlie wrote:
Hello! My name is Jonlyn from Louisville, KY. I work at a local B&N and always try to read what my customers are reading, which is why I picked up this book. I haven't read anything by McCarthy before, but maybe this will be the beginning of a long, beautiful relationship?? :smileytongue:

~Jonlyn~

Welcome, Jonlyn! I'll stick my neck out and say that once you start reading McCarthy, you'll be hard pressed to stop. Have you started The Road yet? Any feelings about it so far?
svd
Contributor
svd
0 Kudos

My name is Steve. I'm a physician, and I like to read. I have little experience participating in online reading groups, but I was so moved by The Road that I couldn't help but to join the discussion. I haven't read other McCarthy novels, but I plan on visiting the library before week's end to check out All the Pretty Horses.

svd
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

svd wrote:
My name is Steve. I'm a physician, and I like to read. I have little experience participating in online reading groups, but I was so moved by The Road that I couldn't help but to join the discussion. I haven't read other McCarthy novels, but I plan on visiting the library before week's end to check out All the Pretty Horses.

svd

welcome aboard, Steve. "All the Pretty Horses" is another great read and "The Crossing" follows that in McCarthy's Border Trilogy, which is among my top 3 of his novels.
Contributor
TammieCorcoran
0 Kudos

Hello everyone, my name is Tammie and I live in Maryland. I'm an avid reader of all kinds of genres, but my favorite is ancient history. This is my first Cormac McCarthy book and it sounds fascinating! I'm looking forward to reading with everyone!

Tammie
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Hello Tammie. Glad you could stop by. We look forward to your questions and comments.
Contributor
BryVal
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

My name is Bryan. I just got home from vacation and was wondering if it was too late or not to start reading and discussing The Road. I hope I still have time. I haven't bought the book as of yet, but I have read the back cover several times and it seems like it will be a very interesting book.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and start reading it. Talk to you all soon.

Bryan from Las Vegas
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

BryVal wrote:
Hi everyone,

My name is Bryan. I just got home from vacation and was wondering if it was too late or not to start reading and discussing The Road. I hope I still have time. I haven't bought the book as of yet, but I have read the back cover several times and it seems like it will be a very interesting book.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and start reading it. Talk to you all soon.

Bryan from Las Vegas

Welcome, Bryan, and please jump right into the discussion -- you're not too late! Keep an eye on the threads and messages marked as "spoiler warnings" until you get further into your reading of the book.
Contributor
solittletime
0 Kudos

I'm from Dallas and have loved engaging in B&N bookclub discussions. It's been delightful not to have to wait until my next bookclub meeting to get into the think of things.

Loved The Road - Warm, tender, gutwrenching, disturbing and down to earth(as in meteoric or nuclear take your pick) read.
Contributor
yourgirlie
0 Kudos

I actually had another book club read to finish first, but hopefully in just a couple days I can start my journey down The Road.

First impressions: The writing style is awesome.

For some reason it reminds me of As I Lay Dying by Faulkner...even though the styles are completely different. Maybe I just picked up a sense of stream of conciousness.

I may be wrong, but I will find out soon enough!

I'll keep you updated as I trek through it :smileyhappy:

-Jonlyn-
Users Online
Currently online: 33 members 629 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: