Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jackaaron
0 Kudos

Re: Meaning of the Trout at the end? (SPOILER WARNING)

Just throwing it out there, I'm not 100% about it, but I love this book, and love these discussions, and many of you seem to have some really fun minds/thoughts, etc.

I know that oftentimes you see that a fish is a symbol of Christianity, right?  You ever see those fish symbols on people's cars, for example? 

Could the trout represent those beliefs because God was mentioned a few times in the book, or eluded to.  People were referred to as Godless as well.  

I don't look at Cormac as trying to force a religious overtone to stories, but I would say that he may simply write that Christianity shaped our entire society up until the very end, and now that's all gone.  He's not really even saying whether it was good or bad for us, or if it led to our demise (wars etc.).

There are two things remaining afterward.  All that was here before humans came along (that hasn't been utterly destroyed) and a mystery.  The mystery being what will emerge to shape our next society for a couple thousand years?

New User
Sticks
0 Kudos

With everything that happened along the way, even with the mans death, he ultimately suceeds in his goal. He had never planned on making. Only making sure his son made it somewhere safe where he could live a life better than what he could in the wasteland. And he did.

The whole dark book is in the end a book about hope. Hope I would say is the main theme of the book and the trout was the symbol of hope. Like at the waterfall whe the man told the boy that there was nothing that lived in the waters anymore, thats why he put the trout in the stream at the end. Very touching I thought and I may be way off base with that but it is what I took away from it.

Contributor
bigkahuna
0 Kudos

Remember that the end flash forwards to the future whereby the boy found it difficult to talk to god, so he continued to talk to his father. THis leads me to believe that there is hope for humankind... and the picture of the trout. CM specificaly uses "torsional" in describing it. So perhaps trout as we know them today may not exist in the future, but in some deformed manner twisted by the irreverent bumblings of man

New User
wfordbella22
0 Kudos

Re: Meaning of the Trout at the end?

But that is the whole point.

The world would never be the same again, but that doesn't mean it couldn't start all over again.

I think it will be a brand new "world" on an old planet, only they won't know it is an old planet.

Its like Noah's arc without noah. Get rid of man complately and start all over.

The reason humans could not go back to normal is because in the process of progressing they took leaps backwards to cannibalism, and you can't progress from that, although it had been done before.

The fact that they had once been civilized and then digressed meant the only way to fix things was to start over again.

Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 207 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: