Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Oprah's Interview with Cormac McCarthy to Air June 5th

maxcat wrote:
Thanks, Bentley, for your graceful comment. I did enjoy the book so to speak. But it left me wondering about things to come. As Oprah said in the interview, the book was ominous and Cormac, I believe, at that point said something to the effect that people will interpret the book in their own way but we'll never know what his interpretation is of the book. That would have been interesting to hear how he came up with such a horrible idea to make a great book. In ways, this book sort of reminded me of H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" just in the manner of survival for one individual and how he stayed alive by breaking into houses and getting food. There's a parallel for you!

You are welcome maxcat. Cormac won't tell us: that is for sure. When I finished the last page of that book...all I could say was "wow". How many books make you feel that way when you have completed them. Not very many.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Bentley's notes

[ Edited ]

Bentley wrote:

Wrighty,

Here are my notes from that segment:

FIRST PART: THE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW BEGINS.

Thank you Bentley. Excellent notes! You helped clear up the part I couldn't remember.

Message Edited by Wrighty on 06-08-2007 12:01 AM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

PaulH...I think fire plays a key role in McCarthy's mind as an image. And it is still the fire in the distance image..darn close to the fire in the hills in the distance image. I think Cormac does a lot of repackaging. And the images move just like the events, people and pictures of locations in his head. Look at the 1:17 number and there are so many other symbols he uses repetitively maybe without thinking and maybe not. Maybe he just wants to have fun with us. I could see him doing that actually.

Bentley

I think you're right, Bentley. McCarthy does retread on the same themes and images throughout his work, but he constantly evolves them as well. He is truly one of our greatest writers.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
you are right Bentley... not many books have I come across that made me say wow. There's very few that will capture my attention and make me read it way into the night. There's been books that I will get down to the last chapter and fall asleep only to miss who killed who in the mystery. I chose the Road because there was a lot of hype about it and curiousity overcame me. When I started it I couldn't put it down as I wanted to see what would happen next, were the man and the boy going to make it, etc.

Message Edited by maxcat on 06-08-2007 08:00 AM
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

Re: Bentley's notes

Wrighty wrote:

Bentley wrote:

Wrighty,

Here are my notes from that segment:

FIRST PART: THE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW BEGINS.

Thank you Bentley. Excellent notes! You helped clear up the part I couldn't remember.

Message Edited by Wrighty on 06-08-2007 12:01 AM

No problem..glad they helped. I took them on all of the Oprah segments so that I could review what he said.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:
you are right Bentley... not many books have I come across that made me say wow. There's very few that will capture my attention and make me read it way into the night. There's been books that I will get down to the last chapter and fall asleep only to miss who killed who in the mystery. I chose the Road because there was a lot of hype about it and curiousity overcame me. When I started it I couldn't put it down as I wanted to see what would happen next, were the man and the boy going to make it, etc.

Message Edited by maxcat on 06-08-2007 08:00 AM

I picked up the book for the same reason expecting to be disappointed because of the hype and really was surprised at the impact that it had on me. The pen can be mightier than the sword.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

The pen can be mightier than the sword.

And McCarthy's pen is profoundly sharper than most others...
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Oprah's site recently added another segment of the interview with McCarthy, which is quite good (see link).

http://www.oprah.com/obc_classic/obc_player.jhtml?category=177
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:
Oprah's site recently added another segment of the interview with McCarthy, which is quite good (see link).

http://www.oprah.com/obc_classic/obc_player.jhtml?category=177

Isn't that odd..well I will go back and listen. Thanks.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: New Segment added to the Interview

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: New Segment added to the Interview

Hello All,

There's another new segment of the interview up (see link):

http://www.oprah.com/obc_classic/featbook/road/interview/road_interview_main.jhtml
Contributor
Frogee
0 Kudos

I saw the interview of McCarthy with Oprah.

I was somewhat unimpressed with his attitude. I guess he figures why bother. That's how it appeared. Oh darn, I'm here hmmmmm now I have to talk to her. I did admire the way he didn't fawn all over her. She actually looked unsettled. She's used to people gushing over her. After all, her say so sells millions of dollars of books. Since when did Oprah corner the market on what's readable and what's not? Where did the caliber of her book assessments come from?

Actually on further recollection, McCarthy, himself may have been thinking, what would she know. No doubt the additional income will be acceptable.

He has had a rather blase kind of life. Oh well, something turns up. He'll never die of a heart attack that's for sure. He clearly sees himself as one of the intelligentsia. Sound boarding scientists etc. Perhaps he is an eccentric genius. Whether he is an outstanding author history will determine. We shan't be around to know. Is he a living legend? I don't think so. Perhaps in 100 years time, he will be considered the 21st Century, Somerset.
Only Puddles Not People Should be Shallow
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 292 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: