Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
sfl315
0 Kudos

The Little Boy (Spoiler)

Throughout the novel the boy is always questioning his father about a little boy that he believed he had seen in one of the destroyed towns.  I had read and believe that the woman that the boy found at the end of the story was the man's wife.  Was the little boy he had always spoken of her son?  What is his symbolism?

New User
-Jake-
0 Kudos

Re: The Little Boy (Spoiler)

I also wondered if the little boy that was mentioned at the end of the book was the same as the "lost little boy" that the father and son saw in the abandoned town, but I couldn't place any significance on it other than it showing that the group had been following the father and son for quite some time. I'm not sure if I believe that they were following them for that long though.

New User
Eldanogrande
0 Kudos

Re: The Little Boy (Spoiler)

I don't think the little boy was the same as the one at the end.  Months separated the events and the family would have tracked down the boy and man before they did. I think the little boy was a child of a family hiding in the town that avoided the man and boy. Remember the man felt like he was being watched, and they saw smoke and heard a dog. Later he said the "good guys" were hiding from each other.

I don't believe the boy was symbolic of anything, though in the heart-wrenching dialogue at the end, the boy was clearly talking about himself when asking about the little boy.  He was fearful of what would happen after his father died.  Who will find him. Empathy for others often reflects your own fears. That does not diminish the sincerity of the empathy, but it reveals a lot about a person.

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 660 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: