Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Congratulations Charles Ardai/Richard Aleas!

Charles' amazing book, Songs of Innocence won this year's Shamus Award for Best Paperback Original. Read an excerpt.
Contributor
TravisLeamons
0 Kudos

Re: Congratulations Charles Ardai/Richard Aleas!

Wait a minute. You mean to say Charles Ardai and Richard Aleas are the same person?!

NO WAY!!!!!

Of course, I'm only kidding. But when he drops by Murder by the Book in Houston in January, it will be interesting to see if he'll be Charles or Richard. Hmm, don't know how I could tell.

Congrats on winning a Shamus. 

Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Thanks, guys.  It was very gratifying to win this award -- the Shamus was the very first mystery award I was ever nominated for back in 1993 and I've been hungering for one ever since.  (I lost that year, but at least I lost to the best: Lawrence Block.)

And when I come to Texas in January, I'll be coming as Charles -- but I'll gladly sign the Aleas books for anyone who'd like that...

--Charles

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Frequent Contributor
DanaKing
0 Kudos

Charles, I had hoped to meet you at Bouchercon, but never got a chance. Congratulations on the award. No one personifies the spirit of the crime fiction community better then you do. I sent a manuscript to Hard Case Crime a couple of years ago. I knew it wasn't quite in your wheelhouse, but thought it might be close enough if you were branching out in my direction. And I was about out of ideas of where to send the damn thing. You passed, but made a couple of nice comments about the book, and about my writing. Best of all, you suggested a couple of small houses that might be interested in such a story. That's the kind of "rising tide lifts all boats" attitude I saw at Bouchercon, but was lucky enough to experience first hand through you. (No, the book hasn't sold yet, but I have found an agent and we're working on it.) Congratualtions again, and thank you.
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Thanks, Dana!  I'm delighted to hear you landed an agent; I hope to see the book (or your next book -- I assume you're working on another...?) in stores sometime soon.

Best,

Charles

Contributor
-Ray
0 Kudos

Congratulations on the Shamus Charles,

Songs of Innocence was a great read, and nice to see others agree. I am eagerly waiting for Fifty to One to come out later this year..

Contributor
RRebelo
0 Kudos

Congratulations Charles, I truly enjoyed the book. I was a bit sad to see Blake go he was a truly enjoyable character. I Look forward to finishing Fifty to One this week.
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Thanks.  My guess is that FIFTY-TO-ONE is more in the spirit of your own work (at least judging by  the title of the film you're making now...).

--Charles

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 282 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: