Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

FEBRUARY: Roger Zelazny, mystery master?

This month, we're publishing the first -- and last -- crime novel written by acclaimed and award-winning fantasy novelist Roger Zelazny.  Zelazny, who died in 1995, wrote numerous seminal works of fantasy fiction, including the best-selling "Chronicles of Amber" 10-book series, and was nominated a record number of times for both the Hugo and the Nebula Award (the two major awards in the science fiction field).  But he also experimented with other genres from time to time, and at one point in the early 1970s, he wrote an international thriller with no fantasy elements at all.  The book was never published and languished in his files until last year, when his son brought it to our attention and asked if we might be interested in seeing it.  Might we?  Wild horses couldn't have kept me from it.

And now it's arriving in bookstores: THE DEAD MAN'S BROTHER.  I hope you give it a try, and that if you do, you like it.  I certainly do.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about it, and I know Trent Zelazny would be, too.  If you have any questions for him, I'll make sure to get them to him, and to post his answers here...

--Charles

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: FEBRUARY: Roger Zelazny, mystery master?

Another great cover, Charles. What's the gist of the story?

Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

There's an art dealer in New York City who wakes up one morning to find his former partner stabbed to death on the floor of his art gallery.  But the dead man wasn't his partner in this legitimate enterprise -- he was his partner in crime, since the two of them had worked together as art smugglers back in their misspent youth.

Naturally, the NYPD arrests the dealer for the murder, even though he had nothing to do with it -- but then things get really strange when two men show up from the CIA to spring him from police custody, saying that they'll get the charges dropped if he'll agree to help them track down a renegade priest who recently fled Vatican City with $3 million in embezzled funds.

What's the connection?  The missing priest was having an affair with a woman who had previously been the girlfriend of...the dead former partner.

So he agrees to help out and flies to Rome to begin hunting for the trail of the missing priest, and of course he finds the mistress, and  then they wind up in the jungles of Brazil...

It's very exciting stuff, and gorgeously written -- Zelazny was a phenomenal craftsmen when it came to his sentences.  And you get a peek at some wonderful, exotic locales. 

Definitely an interesting book, a change of pace for us (since it's more an international thriller than an ordinary crime story) and for Zelazny (since it's set in the real world rather than a fantasy or science fiction universe).

--Charles

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Sounds great, Charles.

Here's a link to a sample chapter from the Hard Case Crime site.

Contributor
-Ray
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

I found this book to be a fun read, full of everything a crime fan would want. Feel free to check out my review of the book on the B and N website.

Message Edited by -Ray on 02-04-2009 08:35 AM
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Here's a link to Ray's review. Thanks, Ray!

-Ray wrote:

Hi all,

I found this book to be a fun read, full of everything a crime fan would want. Feel free to check out my review of the book on the B and N website.

Message Edited by -Ray on 02-04-2009 08:35 AM

New User
LibraryJoe
0 Kudos

You're right, Charles, about "The Dead Man's Brother" being a change of pace for Hard Case Crime.  I agree also, that the book is wonderfully written and a worthy addition to your collection.

Thank you for the job you're doing;  "TDM'sB" is not a book I'd normally purchase, but because it's a Hard Case Crime novel (notwithstanding I'm a very satisfied subscriber) I know there will be something special in each new book you present. 

Hard Case Crime has turned me on to  authors and (sub)genres of books that I hadn't been interested in before.  Your imprint is a service to all lovers of crime fiction.

Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Thanks, Joe.  This means a lot to me.  We work hard at it, and it feels good to know there are folks out there enjoying the results.

Best,

Charles

New User
Maureensmother1
0 Kudos

Roger Zelazny captured me from his first book. I gave my son my very used copies of his Chronicles of Amber. Now I want to read them again. It's wonderful to see old favorites pop up. Are any on the ebook downloads?

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:17 members 331 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: