Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Re: Hard Case. Best of the Best.

[ Edited ]
Thanks.  We've talked about it, including with several major calendar publishers, and for various reasons it just hasn't happened yet.  (There seems to be a sense that the audience for a calendar with our covers on it wouldn't be quite as large as for one based on the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, which I suppose is probably true.)  But we're not giving up...

--Charles

Message Edited by CharlesArdai on 03-05-2008 01:00 PM

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Contributor
John_Weagly
0 Kudos

I've enjoyed so many of the books, but the one that keeps coming back to me is GRAVE DESCEND. I don't know if it's one of the "best," but when I think of it, the first thing that pops into my head is "Boy, I really liked that book."
www.johnweagly.com
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

That's great.  It is an awfully *fun* book.  And if you liked that one you should definitely check out ZERO COOL, by the same author.  Very much in the same spirit.

--Charles

Frequent Contributor
ROCKETRAY55
0 Kudos

As I have not read all the HCC books yet, it is hard for me to say. I have enjoyed each one I have read, some more than others but here are my top favs so far.

Bust by Ken Bruen and Jason Starr
Slide by Ken Bruen and Jason Starr (Can't wait for The MAX to come out)
The Gutter and the Grave by Ed McBain
The Girl With the Long Green Heart by Lawrence Block
Money Shot by Christa Faust
Zero Cool by John Lange

All very good reads.

-Ray
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Get a load of the latest Lawrence Block reissue. What a cover!
Contributor
Scott
0 Kudos

No matter what I see between now and the time I go to sleep, that cover will be the best thing I will see all day. It's so ridiculous in the best sense of the word. It's gorgeous and insane all at the same time.

I cannot wait to read this.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Well, if the first chapter is any indication, this is going to be one helluva read!

Scott wrote:
No matter what I see between now and the time I go to sleep, that cover will be the best thing I will see all day. It's so ridiculous in the best sense of the word. It's gorgeous and insane all at the same time.

I cannot wait to read this.

Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Yeah, honestly, I don't want  to get too self-promotional here, but I can't imagine any fan of hardboiled crime fiction or international thrillers reading that first chapter and not wanting to know what happens next. 

And when you get to the end -- well, let's just say it may not end the way you expect...

--C

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Hey Charles,

Any highlights from Noircon to report?

CharlesArdai wrote:
Yeah, honestly, I don't want  to get too self-promotional here, but I can't imagine any fan of hardboiled crime fiction or international thrillers reading that first chapter and not wanting to know what happens next. 

And when you get to the end -- well, let's just say it may not end the way you expect...

--C

Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

I was only there for one day, but the portion I attended was great.  There's a real feeling of intimacy at a smaller convention like this: just a single room jam-packed with people who love the same things you do.  Some very interesting presentations, including some by non-writers or writers from the true-crime and crime journalism side of the fence.  And it was great to see old friends (and some of my own authors) such as Christa Faust, Jason Starr, Ken Bruen, Megan Abbott, and Duane Swierczynski.  Well worth the train ride down to Philly.  (Plus, I got to eat some authentic Philly cheesesteak, and you can't top that.)

--Charles

Contributor
RRebelo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone I know I am Late on this post but I have to give my 2cents on HCC

I agree with many of you that it is very hard to single out a book or even a handfull of HCC books that stand out. I have read them all in a compressed amount of time (5 Months 43 Books). One thing I must say is that I was thrilled to see that the newer books were just as strong and Hard Boiled as the Classics (Especially the MAX trilogy and Money Shot). There were only a coulple I was luke warm about , The Last Match, Straight Cut and honestly I felt The Colorado Kid did not hold up to the rest of the series. But when you are talking about 50 books Being Luke warm about three is a hell of a batting average.

Home is the Sailor and Money Shot hold my record for the fastest reads (1 afternoon and Night). The size and intensity of these books cause you to bullet right through them.

Message Edited by RRebelo on 11-19-2008 01:38 PM
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

I'm with you -- Money Shot is a definitive stand out!

RRebelo wrote:

Hello Everyone I know I am Late on this post but I have to give my 2cents on HCC

I agree with many of you that it is very hard to single out a book or even a handfull of HCC books that stand out. I have read them all in a compressed amount of time (5 Months 43 Books). One thing I must say is that I was thrilled to see that the newer books were just as strong and Hard Boiled as the Classics (Especially the MAX trilogy and Money Shot). There were only a coulple I was luke warm about , The Last Match, Straight Cut and honestly I felt The Colorado Kid did not hold up to the rest of the series. But when you are talking about 50 books Being Luke warm about three is a hell of a batting average.

Home is the Sailor and Money Shot hold my record for the fastest reads (1 afternoon and Night). The size and intensity of these books cause you to bullet right through them.

Message Edited by RRebelo on 11-19-2008 01:38 PM

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 328 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: