Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
CharlesArdai

IN MEMORIAM: Donald E. Westlake

I was going to save this topic till March, since that's when we'll be publishing our next Donald Westlake novel, THE CUTIE, but earlier today I heard the terrible news that Don had passed away on New Year's Eve, at the age of 75.  So as a tribute to him -- a great crime writer and a great guy -- I thought it would be good to have a little discussion of his work now.

Don was one of the all-time greats.  He got his start writing pseudonymous paperback novels alongside friends like Lawrence Block and Ed McBain and then gained renown for two series in particular: the comic Dortmunder heist novels that he wrote under his own, real name and the very dark novels about a thief named Parker that he wrote as "Richard Stark."  He also wrote any number of superlative standalone novels, such as THE AX, the single most brilliantly premised serial killer novel I've ever read.

I feel lucky to have gotten to work with Don on four books for Hard Case Crime, all of them reprints of obscure but excellent work from early in his career: 361, LEMONS NEVER LIE (written as Richard Stark), SOMEBODY OWES ME MONEY, and the forthcoming THE CUTIE.  All first-rate novels, and working with him was a great pleasure.

So: Which Westlake novels are your favorites?  What was the first Westlake you ever read?

And if you've never read one, well, for heaven's sake, you're already right here on BN.com -- go order one.  Now.  I'm serious, don't wait, don't put it off.  You owe it to yourself.  He was a very special writer, and there will never be another like him.

--Charkes

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
New User
LibraryJoe
0 Kudos

Re: IN MEMORIAM: Donald E. Westlake

This truly is a great loss for mystery fiction.  I met Donald E Westlake at a Bouchercon back in 1984--and I still remember he was a highlight of the Convention--his interview--could he have been questioned by Max Collins?-- was tremendously funny.

I've got a couple of signed editions--and he was even able to make his inscriptions funny-- I'll cherish his "It's 'Good Behavior' to buy this book" in the book of the same name.

Loved his capers, his Starks, his treatment of "The Grifters".

The first one I read was "God Save the Mark"--and I was off on a tear to read them all.

Thrilled that he made it into "Fifty to One"

Joe Maniscalco

Contributor
-Ray
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Having just discovered Donald E. Westlake, this comes a sad news. The only 2 books I have read are 361 and Someone Owes Me Money. Both excellent novels, with the later being in my top 3 that HCC had published. I agree that his work on the Grifters was well done and am waiting even more so for The Cutie to come out.

Off to Search for more Westlake books...

-Ray

Message Edited by -Ray on 01-02-2009 07:47 AM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

R.I.P Mr. Westlake. My favorite of his is 361. A timeless classic of mob crime lit.

Contributor
RRebelo
0 Kudos

I have only been reading crime for a short time but I was able to Read all Of Donald Westlake's HCC books as well as the first 3 Parker books They were some of the most entertaining books in the HCC series and I am looking forward to The Cutie this year. Westlake's  Prose ran from light and entertaining to as dark as they come. I wish his family the best. If you have not read any of his books you are doing yourself an injustice .. especially if you are a crime fan.

Best wishes 

Ric R

Contributor
smokeKY
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I hate to admit it, but I have never read one of his novels.

Please, if you would, list for me the three novels I should pick up this weekend.  I know I will eventually read them all, but I want to get three that will get me hooked on his work.

-

Message Edited by smokeKY on 02-03-2009 10:20 AM
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

If you're in the mood for dark crime fiction, read THE HUNTER (the first of the Parker books, published as by "Richard Stark"), THE AX (generally agreed to be the standout among his serious standalone novels), and THE CUTIE (a reprinting of his Edgar-nominated first novel, orginally published as THE MERCENARIES -- the new edition will hit stores in about 4 weeks).

If you're in the mood for a comedy, read BANK SHOT (one of my favorites of the Dortmunder novels) or SOMEBODY OWES ME MONEY (a standalone that made me laugh out loud).

--Charles

Contributor
smokeKY
0 Kudos

Ok.  I have made a list of these titles, and will pick them up this weekend, and will wait to grab The Cutie.  I usually hit my local BnN once a week, so I will find it as soon as it is put on a shelf.  The comedy sounds pretty good, I may just go ahead and start reading that whole series.  I will definately pick up the good standalone you mentioned. 

Thank you for the list, cannot wait to sink my teeth into these.  

Contributor
smokeKY

well, I cannot tell you how right you were.  I picked up the Hard case crime printing of Somebody Owes me Money, and read it in one sitting...wow, what a great story.  I loved it, and now I am hooked on Westlake, and Hard case crime. 

I have decided to read all of westlakes works now, and will try to start those you recommended.  I want to read all of the dortmunder novels too, so which one of those should I start with? which one is the first one?  do you need to go along in order in the series, or do they stand alone just with the same characters?  I want to read them, but I want to read them right, if that makes any sense.

thank you again for the recommendations...wow, very impressed.

Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Glad you're on board!  The first Dortmunder is THE HOT ROCK, but you can start anywhere and don't have to read them in order.  I started with the second, BANK SHOT, and enjoyed it just fine.

Contributor
smokeKY
0 Kudos

excellent.

I just came back from the local BnN and had to order the books, I could not find many on the shelves, which seems appalling to me.  Anyway, I have three on order, all of those you recommended.  I did manage to pick up THE CUTIE, and I must say, this is a fantastic story.

I really appreciate the help, and your recommendations are spot on!

m

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Here's a link to the Dortmunder Series, smokeKY.
Contributor
smokeKY
0 Kudos

excellent, thank you.

will start working my way down the list now. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
STOLTMAN
0 Kudos

I read The Ax recently and thought it was incredible.  I really like stories about people who aren't criminals trying to figure out how to commit crimes. 

--Jeff 

Contributor
haughja
0 Kudos

I'm really sorry to hear that Donald Westlake passed. This is a terrible loss to crime fiction. He was the man.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that the first time I ever heard of Westlake was after watching the Mel Gibson movie, Payback, (based on Westlake's novel The Hunter). I lliked this focus on the criminal rather than the people trying to catch the criminal and I ooked at the credits, and saw the book was written by a guy named Richard Stark, so I wrote that name down and found a book of his in the local library. I've been reading him ever since.

The first book of Westlake's I read was an early one of his as Stark, The Mourner.  I've also read The Hunter and several of his newer Parker novels, like Comeback and Breakout.  As far as my favorite, I'm looking at the list of his books, but I can't come up with a favorite. I just don't know. I've only read 4 or 5 of his Parker books and a few of the Dortmunder novels. I will say I enjoy Richard Stark's work more than Donald Westlake's work. It's just meaner, and I like that kind of stuff.

By the way, anyone who mildly enjoyed the move Payback  should go rent the DVD that was re-cut by the original writer / director -- it's very interesting, especially with the commentaries by him and by Gibson about how he felt like he had to quit because they (Gibson) wanted  to change too many things to make the character "more accessible" to audiences. Very interesting stuff.

James H
Contributor
Keller
0 Kudos

^ Good call on the re-cut Payback DVD -- entirely different movie, imo (and for the better).

Speaking of Westlake/Stark, I am about to finish up The Outfit (Parker #3) and cannot wait to read the next 3 in the series (University of Chicago Press should have books 4, 5, 6 out anyday now).

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

You can order them now, Keller.

The Mourner (Parker Series #4) 

The Score (Parker Series #5) 

The Jugger (Parker Series #6) 

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 23 members 220 guests