Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
RRebelo
0 Kudos

Killing Castro

Hello everyone.

HCC has put out it's new book of the month and I have to say that when I saw Lawrence Block's Name come up in the Queue months ago I was looking forward to it.  After watching Charles' interview with block on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXsVKD6zvRQ I was a little concerned because Block was not too high on the book but since neither HCC or Lawrence Block hardly ever let me down I still got my hopes up.

So on monday when my copy of Killing Castro Showed up in my mailbox I jumped right in.  What I got was a fast paced gritty crime novel. Block may have been concerned because this was a book for hire and certainly not as polished as his later works but that does not detract from the read at all. In the 200+change pages you get a pretty good character study of 4 criminals and a young man out for revenge. Block gives us varying faces of criminal in this book; a rapist goon, a one passion crime double murderer, an older mercenary dying of  cancer, a young man looking for vengeance, and a smart assassin who plans out a hit and that changes his mind over personal reasons (mmm ...Lawrence Block.....assassin......smart.. sounds like someone?....) Block also recounts the history of Fidel Castro's life leading up to the moment  which I found extremely informative as a back story.

This book is also gritty so gritty the pages crunch when you turn them. It is reminiscent Diet of Treacle and Grifter's Game, dark and Nihilistic. The book moves fast and really has no slow spots that I can remember... a page flipper. My only gripe is that the end seems somewhat abrupt. 

I really enjoyed the book I ran out today and bought a bunch of Block novels from my local used book seller because I craved more. I definately recommend it it may be the perfect escape if you are trapped at home next week and want to leave your family to do a hit job in Cuba.

One last note..

It amazes me that more films have not been done with Block's work I find them to have the perfect temperment for film... I would love to shoot one of his short stories as a short film.  

Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Re: Killing Castro

Thanks -- I'm glad you liked it.  And I agree that this book, like a lot of Block's, would make a terrific film.  I've been discussing it with a couple of producers, so who knows?  Maybe something will come of it at last.

As for the ending, you may be interested to know that in the course of editing the book Block revised it -- originally it was even more abrupt!  But to some extent the abruptness is the point: We're leaving the characters in a very difficult situation (won't spoil it by giving away any of the details), and providing too much closure would be pat and unrealistic.

I do hope people will give this one a chance.  It's one heck of a fun book, with lots of characteristic Block touches and delicious Block writing.  I'm glad I got to read it, and it's fun to be able to bring it out for all of you...

--Charles

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
New User
LibraryJoe
0 Kudos

Just finished "Killing Castro" and agree with the earlier writer that the book was a great read!  I also liked the nonfiction back-story elements which added to my enjoyment of the novel.

There was a detail near the conclusion which doesn't exactly mesh with history as we know it---

Any ideas why Block chose this detail?

But wow, I really recommend this book!

Joe Maniscalco

Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

I believe that detail -- which we can't discuss explicitly without giving away the ending, but I'll try to discuss it obliquely -- was the germ of the idea that Block's publisher presented him with back in 1960.  That is, Block didn't come to a publisher with the idea for this book -- a publisher came to him and said, "How would you like to write a book for us that's about a group of Americans going to Cuba to kill Fidel Castro, and what if it ended like this: ___?"  Given that starting point, I think he did an outstanding job of telling an interesting and emotionally affecting story that packs a real punch when you get to the end.

--Charles

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 384 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: