Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
STOLTMAN
0 Kudos

Stephen King on "manfiction"

In the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly(Issue #1012, September 19, 2008) Stephen King writes about books that men read.  His son, Joe Hill, calls these books "manfiction."  It's an interesting column.  Mr. King says that the best current manfiction writers are Michael Connelly, Robert Crais, Richard Stark and Lee Child.

--Jeff    

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: Stephen King on "manfiction"

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Paul, thank you for the link.

The odd thing about "manfiction" is that women readers, like me, also read it... I've read everything my Michael Connelly, Lee Child and Robert Parker....

I wonder how many men read Nora Roberts, Jodi Picoult or Sandra Brown?

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Excellent point, IBIS. I personally have never read Roberts, Picoult, or Brown. That being said, while I've read a Parker or two, I yet to read Connelly or Child.

IBIS wrote:
Paul, thank you for the link.

The odd thing about "manfiction" is that women readers, like me, also read it... I've read everything my Michael Connelly, Lee Child and Robert Parker....

I wonder how many men read Nora Roberts, Jodi Picoult or Sandra Brown?

IBIS

Author
Marcus_Sakey
0 Kudos

A heck of a point.  In fact, best I understand it, there are more female readers of "manfiction" than there are male ones.  Certainly seems that way if you visit a Lee Child signing.

Speaking of which, Paul, definitely give Lee a try.  He's terrific.  A deeply intelligent writer who doesn't cheat.

-Marcus
MarcusSakey.com

Learn more about At the City's Edge.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Will do, Marcus. Any particular book I should start with?

Marcus_Sakey wrote:

A heck of a point.  In fact, best I understand it, there are more female readers of "manfiction" than there are male ones.  Certainly seems that way if you visit a Lee Child signing.

Speaking of which, Paul, definitely give Lee a try.  He's terrific.  A deeply intelligent writer who doesn't cheat.

New User
weaverjk8875
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Paul, I'm a big fan of the Reacher series and I would highly recommend starting at the beginning with Killing Floor. I still think it's the best of the series and it gives you most of Reacher's back story, so you could skip around after that. 

Btw, thanks for recommending Dead I Well May Be. I can't wait to read the others in the Dead series.

Message Edited by weaverjk8875 on 09-23-2008 03:47 PM
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Well that's where I'll begin, weaver. Many thanks.

Also, take a look at McKinty's Hidden River. It's a stand alone mystery, and like all his books, it's real, real good. Word is that he's got another book due out next year. I can't wait.

weaverjk8875 wrote:

Paul, I'm a big fan of the Reacher series and I would highly recommend starting at the beginning with Killing Floor. I still think it's the best of the series and it gives you most of Reacher's back story, so you could skip around after that. 

Btw, thanks for recommending Dead I Well May Be. I can't wait to read the others in the Dead series.

Message Edited by weaverjk8875 on 09-23-2008 03:47 PM

Contributor
haughja
0 Kudos

I just read King's article on manfiction. He's right, of course. There is such a thing, and I've been reading it since I was a kid, and still am. His recommendations are right on the money, too. The problem with all of this though, is that he doesn't really address his own point. Is the fact that there is still manfiction around proof that men are still reading, or is it, like some of the above posts suggest, that women are reading manfiction? I can tell you that there are a lot of guys out there, and I mean A LOT, who simply do not read anything. And more who read only internet blogs, and maybe a newspaper or magazine, but certainly no books. This seems to me to be especially true of younger guys. It sadly has become fashionable to think that to read is either "nerdy" or, even worse for a young guy, "gay." Anyone who thinks this isn't true should ask their sons (or daughters). I remember reading a while ago that Stephen King was the kind of kid in high school who walked around with a paperback book in his back pocket. I was too - although maybe it was in my backpack if not my pocket. I suspect that is a dying breed. I think it's also true though, of adult men. I personally know almost no men who read books. (Which maybe is why I'm in this book club.) When was the last time you heard a guy talk about the book he read?
James H
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Sadly, it's true. Few men I know read. Along these same lines, does anyone feel that eventually e-books will replace printed matter?

haughja wrote:
I just read King's article on manfiction. He's right, of course. There is such a thing, and I've been reading it since I was a kid, and still am. His recommendations are right on the money, too. The problem with all of this though, is that he doesn't really address his own point. Is the fact that there is still manfiction around proof that men are still reading, or is it, like some of the above posts suggest, that women are reading manfiction? I can tell you that there are a lot of guys out there, and I mean A LOT, who simply do not read anything. And more who read only internet blogs, and maybe a newspaper or magazine, but certainly no books. This seems to me to be especially true of younger guys. It sadly has become fashionable to think that to read is either "nerdy" or, even worse for a young guy, "gay." Anyone who thinks this isn't true should ask their sons (or daughters). I remember reading a while ago that Stephen King was the kind of kid in high school who walked around with a paperback book in his back pocket. I was too - although maybe it was in my backpack if not my pocket. I suspect that is a dying breed. I think it's also true though, of adult men. I personally know almost no men who read books. (Which maybe is why I'm in this book club.) When was the last time you heard a guy talk about the book he read?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Sadly, it's true. Few men I know read. Along these same lines, does anyone feel that eventually e-books will replace printed matter?

Nope, they still can't replace the feel of a good book in you hands. Afterall many magazines are available online with even more content than the hard copies, but more hard copies are sold than viewed online.

Author
Marcus_Sakey
0 Kudos

Hey Paul--sorry I missed your earlier post.

You won't go wrong starting with KILLING FLOOR, as someone else suggested.  My personal fave is probably PERSUADER.  But one of the cool things about Lee's work is that because the character is sort of the archetypical knight errant, you can start anywhere--there's not a lot of mandatory backstory to catch up on.  Nice with a 13 book series.

-Marcus
MarcusSakey.com

Contributor
RRebelo
0 Kudos

I find  that our culture as a whole has become very anti-Man. Movies tend to be geared toward 13yr old children as is most of our modern media. I often laugh when I watch footage of old television talk shows and the host and guest would sit there with a cigarette and a scotch. If any talk show host did it today there would be a live intervention. I think men still read, I know I  do and I have enjoyed modern crime fiction Like Lee Child, Jason Starr and the HCC  series. I would like to see a bit of masculinity get back into popular culture.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Thanks, Marcus.

Sorry I missed your recent reading at Partners & Crime. I walked in a couple of days later and saw the poster.

Best,

Paul

Marcus_Sakey wrote:

Hey Paul--sorry I missed your earlier post.

You won't go wrong starting with KILLING FLOOR, as someone else suggested.  My personal fave is probably PERSUADER.  But one of the cool things about Lee's work is that because the character is sort of the archetypical knight errant, you can start anywhere--there's not a lot of mandatory backstory to catch up on.  Nice with a 13 book series.

Author
Marcus_Sakey
0 Kudos

No worries, Paul!  We had a pretty decent showing.  Nice to be done with touring for a while, though.
-Marcus
MarcusSakey.com

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 17 members 664 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: