Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome: Please Introduce Yourself

Hello All,

Your moderators -- Charles, Peter, & Paul -- would like to extend a hearty welcome to the Crime Club! Please take a minute to introduce yourself. Where do you hail from? Who is your favorite crime writer? What are you currently reading?
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome: Please Introduce Yourself

Although I know this was intended for people other than us moderator types, I'm glad to kick things off by answering it myself:

I'm Charles Ardai; I hail from, and have live all my life in, New York City. Given how many outstanding writers we publish in the Hard Case Crime series, naming one as my favorite is a bit of a minefield -- but the living author whose work I've been reading and enjoying the longest, and of whose work I've read the most (well over 60 books, all of them at least twice), is Lawrence Block. The man is just an exceptional writer, one of the very best I've ever read, within the crime genre or outside it.

Among dead crime writers, my favorite is (no big surprise here, given the debut topic on this board) Raymond Chandler.

And what am I reading now? I'm reading a 50-year-old crime novel by Robert Bloch called SPIDERWEB, because I just got it back from our typesetter and it needs to be proofread before it goes to the printer. For pleasure, the last book I read was non-fiction but it read like a pulp mystery: THE ORIENTALIST by Tom Reiss. I can't recommend it highly enough.

--Charles
-----------
Charles Ardai
Editor, Hard Case Crime

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:
Hello All,

Your moderators -- Charles, Peter, & Paul -- would like to extend a hearty welcome to the Crime Club! Please take a minute to introduce yourself. Where do you hail from? Who is your favorite crime writer? What are you currently reading?

Well PaulH, you have finally surfaced again and I since I like a good mystery..I think I will join all of you.

I hail from New England and love that part of the country, especially Boston and everything Maine. Now in the NYC area and enjoying everything that Manhattan has to offer which is a lot . I have been involved in numerous B&N discussion groups and have enjoyed them very much. PaulH has been the moderator for a few of them including The Road and Middlesex.

I like Alexander McCall Smith, Stuart Macbride, Agatha Christie, P.D. James, Dick Francis and many others.

Currently, I am not reading a mystery; I have just completed Philbrick's Mayflower, See's Peony in Love, Tolstoy's War and Peace and Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. So you can see that I am due for a good whodunit.

I call myself Bentley here.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Good to have you here, Bentley. Enjoy !

bentley wrote:

PaulH wrote:
Hello All,

Well PaulH, you have finally surfaced again and I since I like a good mystery..I think I will join all of you.

I hail from New England and love that part of the country, especially Boston and everything Maine. Now in the NYC area and enjoying everything that Manhattan has to offer which is a lot . I have been involved in numerous B&N discussion groups and have enjoyed them very much. PaulH has been the moderator for a few of them including The Road and Middlesex.

I like Alexander McCall Smith, Stuart Macbride, Agatha Christie, P.D. James, Dick Francis and many others.

Currently, I am not reading a mystery; I have just completed Philbrick's Mayflower, See's Peony in Love, Tolstoy's War and Peace and Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. So you can see that I am due for a good whodunit.

I call myself Bentley here.

Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks PaulH..glad to be here. I guess the club does not officially open until October 1st so maybe I and Singe have a jump start.

Regards,

Bentley

Message Edited by bentley on 09-27-2007 08:21 AM
Frequent Contributor
bentley
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
PaulH: I opened up a thread for favorite quotes, etc.

Message Edited by bentley on 09-27-2007 08:20 AM
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I go by IBIS.
I also hail from the Boston area. Home of Spenser.

I'm currently re-reading Raymond's The Big Sleep.
Gotta love those metaphors for the General.

"A few locks of dry white hair clung to his scalp, like wild flowers fighting for live on a bare rock."

"The General spoke again, slowly, using his strength as carefully as an out-of-work showgirl uses her last good pair of stockings."

"The old man licked his lips watching me, over and over again, drawing one lip slowly across the other with a funereal absorption, like an undertaker dry-washing his hands."

Now THAT is great writing!
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome IBIS. Boston; home to Spenser, yes, and the shadowing Eddie Coyle.

IBIS wrote:
I go by IBIS.
I also hail from the Boston area. Home of Spenser.

I'm currently re-reading Raymond's The Big Sleep.
Gotta love those metaphors for the General.

"A few locks of dry white hair clung to his scalp, like wild flowers fighting for live on a bare rock."

"The General spoke again, slowly, using his strength as carefully as an out-of-work showgirl uses her last good pair of stockings."

"The old man licked his lips watching me, over and over again, drawing one lip slowly across the other with a funereal absorption, like an undertaker dry-washing his hands."

Now THAT is great writing!

Author
MeganAbbott
0 Kudos

Hi, everybody!
I'm Megan. I live in NYC, originally from Michigan. Favorite crime writer--I guess he's the number-one presence here, but I can't deny it's Chandler and I still remember that first experience of coming upon page one of The Big Sleep. (By the way, IBIS, it's funny those great quotes re: Gen. Sternwood--I remember seeing the movie version of The Big Sleep before I read the book. Gen. Sternwood has all these wonderful lines about orchids being too much like the newly washed fingers of dead men. When I heard that and knew Wm Faulkner was one of the screenwriters, I thought: Oh, that's so Faulkner; boy, did he mark his stamp on this screenplay. Then, I read the book for the first time and it was all in there, every rich bit of it. Ah, Chandler...)
I never tire of the Marlowe novels--it just seems Chandler's one of those writers who rewards multiple readings, as it always feels to me that Philip Marlowe gets increasingly complex the more you circle him ...

What I'm reading now: Under the Bright Lights by Daniel Woodrell, whom I only discovered a year ago and by whom I'm transfixed.

Best,
Megan

Learn more about Queenpin.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Great to have you here, Megan. As I've mentioned in another thread, I loved Queenpin, but I'll add here that Die A Little and The Song Is You are just as compelling and a welcome addition to the genre!

MeganAbbott wrote:
Hi, everybody!
I'm Megan. I live in NYC, originally from Michigan. Favorite crime writer--I guess he's the number-one presence here, but I can't deny it's Chandler and I still remember that first experience of coming upon page one of The Big Sleep. (By the way, IBIS, it's funny those great quotes re: Gen. Sternwood--I remember seeing the movie version of The Big Sleep before I read the book. Gen. Sternwood has all these wonderful lines about orchids being too much like the newly washed fingers of dead men. When I heard that and knew Wm Faulkner was one of the screenwriters, I thought: Oh, that's so Faulkner; boy, did he mark his stamp on this screenplay. Then, I read the book for the first time and it was all in there, every rich bit of it. Ah, Chandler...)
I never tire of the Marlowe novels--it just seems Chandler's one of those writers who rewards multiple readings, as it always feels to me that Philip Marlowe gets increasingly complex the more you circle him ...

What I'm reading now: Under the Bright Lights by Daniel Woodrell, whom I only discovered a year ago and by whom I'm transfixed.

Best,
Megan

Author
JasonStarr
0 Kudos

Hey, Jason Starr, here. I'm from Brooklyn originally, now live in Manhattan, and I
am the author of eight crime novels. My latest novel from the St. Martin's Press is The Follower. I've also co-authored two books with Ken Bruen for Hard Case Crime, Bust, and (just published!) Slide.
If I had to pick three of my biggest influences when I first started writing crime fiction, I'd have to go with James M. Cain, Jim Thompson, Charles Willeford, and Patricia Highsmith. I was also just as heavily influence by films, especially the film noirs of the forties and fifties.
The latest great crime novel I've read is Four Kinds of Rain by Robert Ward.
Looking forward to hanging out here!
Jason
Frequent Contributor
ROCKETRAY55
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

My name is Ray and I live in Denver Colorado. Having discovered Chandler in the last few years he has become my favorite author. The Big Sleep is simple amazing, but I have to admit Lady In The Lake is my favorite! (Have not read Poodle Springs yet)

I am currently reading The Big Knockover by Dashiell Hammett, then Fright by Woolrich. I am up for any recommendations, So feel free to make a few, they will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ray
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome, Ray. As a Chandler fan, you've arrived in the right place! Let us know what you think of Fright. It's certainly a twisted tale with real psychological repercussions.

ROCKETRAY55 wrote:
Hello everyone,

My name is Ray and I live in Denver Colorado. Having discovered Chandler in the last few years he has become my favorite author. The Big Sleep is simple amazing, but I have to admit Lady In The Lake is my favorite! (Have not read Poodle Springs yet)

I am currently reading The Big Knockover by Dashiell Hammett, then Fright by Woolrich. I am up for any recommendations, So feel free to make a few, they will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ray

Reader 4
Dakotapix
0 Kudos

I'm Chuck from the Twin Cities of Minnesota and was guided here by an email from Barnes & Noble. By far, my favorite crime/mystery author is James Lee Burke who writes about the exploits of Dave Robicheaux in the New Orleans and surrounding bayou area and another character, Billy Bob Holland, a former Texas ranger, currently a lawyer in Montana. In reading through the various threads here I've not seen any reference to Burke so I thought I'd mention his work, although I also note that much of the discussion is about earlier writers such as Chandler. Mr. Burke on his web site pays homage to Chandler, as well as Hemingway and others, so I will be making an effort to get involved with a Chandler book, probably The Big Sleep, in the near future.
Frequent Contributor
Curt42
0 Kudos

My name is Curt and I am from the Seattle, WA area. I discovered Raymond Chandler through a set of mystery books that included. THE BIG SLEEP. I rediscovered him recently through a local book club. Subsequently I have read his first five books (up to and including LITTLE SISTER), THE SIMPLE ART OF MURDER (which is his famous essay and a collection of short stories, his notebooks, and a biography. The man and his works are fascinating and I am looking forward to discussing him.
Contributor
Singe
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I'm Nikki and I currently reside in Las Vegas. My absolute favorite author is Ken Bruen. I'm reading a couple of collected short story works, one by Scott Wolven and the other by H Lee Barnes.

Nikki (aka Singe)
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Wolven is terrific!

Singe wrote:
Hi all!

I'm Nikki and I currently reside in Las Vegas. My absolute favorite author is Ken Bruen. I'm reading a couple of collected short story works, one by Scott Wolven and the other by H Lee Barnes.

Nikki (aka Singe)

Frequent Contributor
Kent
0 Kudos

Howdy all! I'm Kent Gowran and I live in Chicago. I see some folks here already from The Big Adios and Crimespace, so I figured I might as well join up, and reading some of the threads, it was a good decision.

As for favorite crime writer, I usually go with David Goodis or Charles Willeford. As for folks currently writing, again I can't narrow it down to one, but Charlie Stella, Ken Bruen, Megan Abbott, Duane Swierczynski, and Anthony Neil Smith are on my buy upon release list of writers.
New User
BryanSmith
0 Kudos

Hi, all. My name is Bryan Smith. I live in Tennessee and write horror novels for Dorchester's Leisure imprint. But I love crime/noir fiction and keep thinking I'll try my hand at it one day. A title and an idea have been simmering for years, but the time has never felt quite right. I barely have time enough to write my horror novels, but maybe it'll happen at some point down the road.

My favorite crime writers include Ed McBain, Lawrence Block, Donald Westlake, Richard S. Prather (I've read something like fifteen or sixteen of his Shell Scott books this year), Tim Dorsey (particularly the hilarious Florida Roadkill), Ken Bruen. Duane S. (don't make me spell it), Carl Hiaasen, Charlie Huston, James Ellroy, Max Allan Collins, and numerous others.

Reading a horror novel right now, but my next read will be Slide by Ken Bruen and Jason Starr, the sequel to my favorite Hard Case book thus far, Bust.
Contributor
AliMcJ
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Alison

Jumped on in today because I received a note about current discussions, one of which is Raymond Chandler. I've been a big fan -- more than fan, devotee -- of his since some time in the 1960s; I know it was the 60s, as I was so pleased to see the 70s Robert Mitchum remake of "Farewell My Lovely" in color, and I remember watching it -- listening to it -- on tv in 1979 as I was sewing. Scratching at the screen on the screen door (was it Sylvia Miles playing the part of Jesse Florian), "May I come in? I feel like a fly out here," pops into my mind as I remember listening to the screenplay. I was so pleased to see this remake, as it was the first of the genre of "past Los Angeles" made in present Los Angeles and the first film adaptation of a Chandler novel that paralleled the mental imagery Chandler conjures so well in the reader.

Uh, I suppose I should copy and paste that part to the Chandler discussion.

I'm an artist and teacher, not teaching since a move to Texas, and with my art -- I love to paint architectural gems, not necessarily places a tourist would visit, but gems, much like what is found in past Los Angeles film. However, DH's work took us to Dallas from L.A., so my life's work is on hold. I have turned art toward remaking, re-envisioning fashion dolls, most recently a Paris Hilton in orange and an Anne Coulter plugging her book, "The Clutch of Plagiarism," -- an Anne Coulter doll made much harder looking (though the sculpt is wonderfully sunken-eyed [T.S. Eliot, speak to me!]) and, in an act of mercy toward myself and anyone who buys her, with her batteries removed; by doing that I have managed to silence the screech of the harpie, something the media have not been able to do. Yes, harpie reference is allusion intended.

MA in Fine Art (not MFA, an MA with all the academics it entails) with minor in Illustration; credential and BA Art Education with Minor in English. English "came easy" to me, Art was a burning desire and a challenge, so I majored in Art and minored in English, long long before I found out that people picked something that comes easy to major in. I thought it was all about challenging yourself and learning something you couldn't learn on your own. I actually still do and am in, I am sure, a minority, a very small one, although I do see the tide shifting back to where degrees in the Liberal Arts or degrees in the Humanities will regain the stature and relevance they deserve -- as foundations for understanding of just about any field one encounters and learning in just about any field to which one may want to apply him/herself.
I guess that's enough of an introduction to who I am today. Tomorrow, it may be different.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 75 members 260 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: