Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
scoda
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome: Please Introduce Yourself

My name is Coda.  I am an avid reader and over the years have zeroed in on crime fiction.  I have a number of favorite authors who don't write nearly fast enough for me.  In that regard, I am always on the lookout for additional recommended books.

I am an Arkansas transplantvia Texas and California.  My favorite author is John Sanford, Robert B Parker (his early works were much better than those he is churning out now) Kathy Reich and others.  I even enjoy the "cozies".

New User
Junkyard
0 Kudos

Of course, I always recommend my book, "Luggage By Kroger: A True Crime Memoir." Even though it is true crime rather than fiction, reviewers have described it as better than fiction. And, it is currently a finalist for ForeWord magazine's 2008 small press Book-of-the-Year Award, with results to be announced May 29.  It is a medalist in the true crime genre of that contest.

On the fiction side, good crime thrillers I have read in the last couple of years include: Derailed, California Girl, The Lost (By Jack Ketchum), A Maiden's Grave (Jeff Deaver) and Mystic River.

Back on the true crime side, try Under and Alone, The Hoax, A Priest in Hell and Positively Fifth Street.

Contributor
shortyDD
0 Kudos

Hi ! My name is ShortyDD and am hoping I am in the correct club for solving- It- Yourself

crime club???  If not please direct me to the correct club?     Thank You!

Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

scoda wrote:

My name is Coda.  I am an avid reader and over the years have zeroed in on crime fiction.  I have a number of favorite authors who don't write nearly fast enough for me.  In that regard, I am always on the lookout for additional recommended books.

I am an Arkansas transplantvia Texas and California.  My favorite author is John Sanford, Robert B Parker (his early works were much better than those he is churning out now) Kathy Reich and others.  I even enjoy the "cozies".

Coda,

As something a bit different in crime literature, I found, Queen of the South by Arturo Perez Reverte highly engrossing, his characters fascinating and a great twist at the end.

Alexey Braguine, author of Kingmaker
Contributor
shortyDD
0 Kudos

Thank You! I will look into the book (s).
New User
zoeanne
0 Kudos

I am from the New England area and recently moved to Florida from Washington,DC. A dramatic cultural change. My favorite writers are Patricia Cromwell and Clive Cussler. I am on a day off and in fact am off to one of my favorite places Barnes and Noble.
New User
Weaveon
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Susan and I'm in western NC.  I have been listening to lots of mysteries/crime novels over the last 2 years.  I like lots of authors: Jeffery Deaver is terrific, James Patterson, Faye Kellerman to name a few.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome, Weaveon and zoeanne.
Contributor
shortyDD
0 Kudos

Welcome! and hope to chat with you soon!
Contributor
shortyDD
0 Kudos

Welcome Zoeanne!

Hope to chat with you soon1

Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

zoeanne wrote:
I am from the New England area and recently moved to Florida from Washington,DC. A dramatic cultural change. My favorite writers are Patricia Cromwell and Clive Cussler. I am on a day off and in fact am off to one of my favorite places Barnes and Noble.

Ha! moving from DC to anywhere is a dramatic cultural change. I have moved further south--to Chile. Life is good.

Besties,

Brag.

New User
Alex99
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I'm Alex and currently live in Montreal , Canada. I'm a big fan of William Lashner,Laura Lippman, Lawrence Block, John Lescroat, Elizabeth George, Michael Connelly and P.D. James. I also am a fan of the Hard Case Crime series, which I've read most of them.Currently reading "Marked Man" by William Lashner.I'm always looking for new authors to try.

Message Edited by Alex99 on 04-21-2009 05:09 PM
Contributor
shortyDD
0 Kudos

Hi my name is Damita and if you like horror as well try reading Stephen King!
New User
GLADYS156
0 Kudos

HI I AM A FEMALE 72 YRS OLD AND LOVE MYSTERIES. I LIVE IN ROCKAWAY NJ. I REALLY LOVE ENGLISH AND SCOTTISH MYSTERIES BUT WILL READ ANY REALLY GOOD ONE. I HAVE 7 CHILDREN, 6 CRANDKIDS AND TWO MORE ON THE WAY. I KNIT AND CROCHET AND GARDEN.
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Welcome to the Club, Gladys :smileyhappy:

I am sure you will find interesting suggestions here. I haven't read an English mystery in years, though I always enjoyed them.

Contributor
shortyDD
0 Kudos

My name is Damita DeFreece and am from Newburgh, NY.  I am looking for a good

crime  solve it yourself book club! I am actually aStephen King fan; but broading

my horizons! I enjoy these books because it keeps the mind sharp! Have any suggestions?

New User
Midge
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Midge. I love all sorts of mysteries. I'm reading Laura Lippman's Every Secret Thing- very compelling and dark. I've read her Tess Monaghan novels but this is much more intense. She is developing deeper and more interesting characters as well as maintaining complex plots.

New User
csigma381
0 Kudos

HI my name is Celeste and I'm from Luling, LA (about 20 minutes from NO) and I am currently reading "in the electric mist with confederate dead" by James Lee Burke. I am very excited to be joining this group.

Reader
sabinafare
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

I greatly enjoy the Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child books.  I just saw that they had a new one come out, its Cemetery Dance.  Have you read it?  I have yet to purchase it but I am sure that it will be awesome.  I have read all the others over and over.  Do you have any other author recommendations that are similar to their writing styles and thriller style?

Thanks,

Chelsea

jimwalk3698 wrote:

My name is Jim and I just recently joined My Barnes and Noble, though I have been getting a LOT of books from them over the years.   I am currently living in Alabama and retired.  Both my wife and I love to read, especially crime and thriller novels.

My favorite authors are Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (Pendergast series especially), Tami Hoag, Allison Brennan, and T. Jefferson Parker.  I am currently reading Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn (another of my many favorites) and am just ordering a new author I discovered in the Mystery Club named Tara French.

I am looking forward to many good "hints" on new (to me anyway) authors.

Reader
sabinafare
0 Kudos

What are Allison Brennan book like, I have never heard of her?  I am looking for new authors.  Preston/Child do not write novels fast enough since I found them a couple years ago.

Thanks,

Chelsea

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 810 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: