Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
AliMcJ
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome: Please Introduce Yourself

I keep a set of his books around at all times; they are read, re-read, read again over and over books.

I have a book of his letters which I have not yet read.

Popped in just today to check out Chandler discussion (is that "Chandler's Children?")
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Yes -- you can discuss Chandler anywhere you'd like, but the most natural place for it would be the "Chandler's Children" topic.

I definitely consider myself one of Chandler's children, both as reader and as a writer -- I grew up with his stories and every time I sit down to write, especially about sad but striving detectives and romantic ideals trampled by the cruel world, Chandler's there for me as a benchmark and a goad and an inspiration. I'm very interested to read what other people (readers and writers both) feel about Chandler and his continuing influence on them

--Charles

P.S. I'll cross-post this to the Chandler's Children discussion so that we can continue there...

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Contributor
shortstop6
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

I live in London and some of my favourite films are: The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, Chinatown, Double Indemnity, Body Heat, LA Confidential, The Last Seduction, Rear Window, etc. The films inspired me to read James M. Cain, James Ellroy, etc. I plan to read the Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, shortly. I'm a fan of the author Paul Auster who often uses elements of the crime novel in his novels.

There's an article in todays Guardian on Dashiell Hammett, by James Ellroy.
Reader
Judi2
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

I live in Vancouver, Canada.

I heard about this site from Dorchester Publishing as I am on their Message Board for writers. I'm also a member of B&N from the days they offered courses.
Okay, I'm also an aspiring to be published novelist.

Ah, yes when I say that I love Film Noir, Sam Spade and all things from those classic stories including of course, Raymond Chandler and Dashiel Hammett.

Where are the women authors?

I see one here - Megan Abbott. My reading time is restricted but I love to read and love to write.

So excited about this Crime Club. I saw a preview of a newer novel called "The Confession" it looked great!! So did a lot of others!!

I guess I should order the books. Are they only available by mail by B&N or Dorchester?

Glad to see this forum!!
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

> I guess I should order the books.
> Are they only available by mail
> by B&N or Dorchester?

No -- you can find Hard Case Crime books in every major bookstore in North America (both big ones like Barnes & Noble and small independent bookstores, including specialty mystery bookstores), and also in drugstores, supermarkets, airport bookstores, truckstops, military PXs, and other places.

That said, if you *want* to buy the books online, there's no reason you shouldn't. You'll certainly find them all right here, at bn.com, just a click away.

--Charles

Author
Duane_Swierczynski
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hey, everyone. My name is Duane Swierczynski, and I'm the author of a handful of crime thrillers, including THE WHEELMAN, THE BLONDE and the forthcoming SEVERANCE PACAKGE. I also edited DAMN NEAR DEAD, an anthology of "geezer noir" features stories by some of the folks who hang out at this board -- Charles Ardai, Ken Bruen, Megan Abbott, Jason Starr and that Allan Guthrie guy. And I'll be making my Marvel Comics debut this November with an issue of MOON KNIGHT, and I'll be writing a new monthly series starting next spring. (It's been described as part police procedural, part spaghetti western, and part Samurai epic.) Yes, I am a crime fiction junkie and a comics nerd. Is there a deadlier combination?

My favorite dead crime writers (too many living favorites to list) include Hammett, Chandler, both Macdonalds, Horace McCoy, Fredric Brown, David Goodis, Charles Willeford, James M. Cain, Cornell Woolrich, William McGivern and Wade Miller. Right now I'm reading a Charles Williams paperback called MAN ON THE RUN--one of those great Gold Medal novels--and issue #9 of Ed Brubaker's CRIMINAL.

Looking forward to mixing it up here on the boards!

Message Edited by Duane_Swierczynski on 09-30-2007 08:32 AM

Message Edited by Duane_Swierczynski on 09-30-2007 08:54 AM

Learn more about The Blonde.
New User
Craig_Zablo
0 Kudos

Morning folks.

I'm looking forward to the interactions of this group.

Right now I'm reading THE CLEANER by Brett Battles.
Contributor
Pattinase
0 Kudos

Hello. I'm pattinase and live in Detroit, Michigan. So far I've exclusively published short stories on the crime fiction zines but I am looking for representation for my first novel right now. I'm reading Phantom Lady by Cornell Woolrich as I write this. Recently read I Married a Dead Man and Pickup by Willeford. I read all kinds of crime novels though. I expect I will lurk more than post here. Should be fun.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

A big welcome to all newcomers!

Hi there, Duane. Thanks for dropping by. I'm about 100 pages into "Severance Package" and it's quite a ride so far!

Duane_Swierczynski wrote:
Hey, everyone. My name is Duane Swierczynski, and I'm the author of a handful of crime thrillers, including THE WHEELMAN, THE BLONDE and the forthcoming SEVERANCE PACAKGE. I also edited DAMN NEAR DEAD, an anthology of "geezer noir" features stories by some of the folks who hang out at this board -- Charles Ardai, Ken Bruen, Megan Abbott, Jason Starr and that Allan Guthrie guy. And I'll be making my Marvel Comics debut this November with an issue of MOON KNIGHT, and I'll be writing a new monthly series starting next spring. (It's been described as part police procedural, part spaghetti western, and part Samurai epic.) Yes, I am a crime fiction junkie and a comics nerd. Is there a deadlier combination?

My favorite dead crime writers (too many living favorites to list) include Hammett, Chandler, both Macdonalds, Horace McCoy, Fredric Brown, David Goodis, Charles Willeford, James M. Cain, Cornell Woolrich, William McGivern and Wade Miller. Right now I'm reading a Charles Williams paperback called MAN ON THE RUN--one of those great Gold Medal novels--and issue #9 of Ed Brubaker's CRIMINAL.

Looking forward to mixing it up here on the boards!

Message Edited by Duane_Swierczynski on 09-30-2007 08:32 AM

Message Edited by Duane_Swierczynski on 09-30-2007 08:54 AM

New User
chucklake
0 Kudos

looking forward to learning on here

Have completed 2 novels and they are "out" looking for homes.
Writing another on the noir side.

Interest in novels that move a story.
Contributor
John_Weagly
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

My name is John Weagly. I’m a writer in Chicago who’s had around 50 short stories published and around 25 plays produced across the country. Most of what I write is in the hard-boiled vein, much of it with a quirky edge. THE UNDERTOW OF SMALL TOWN DREAMS, a collection of some of my short stories, is available from Twilight Tales Publications.

As for what I'm reading now? I'm in the between-time. I just finished Megan's DIE A LITTLE and I have the joy and stress of picking from three tall stacks of books. I'm leaning towards James M. Cain's THE EMBEZZLER. Or maybe Dave White's WHEN ONE MAN DIES. Or perhaps Paul Cain's SEVEN SLAYERS.

John Weagly
www.johnweagly.com
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
> It may sound heretical, but I'd start with Dave White.

I'm as big a James M. Cain fan as you'll find, but THE EMBEZZLER is not among his strongest works. POSTMAN, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, JEALOUS WOMAN, SERENADE, even LOVE'S LOVELY COUNTERFEIT (though lots of people disagree with me about that one)...any of those I'd recommend very highly. But not so much THE EMBEZZLER.

And Paul Cain has never done much for me, though of course his one novel -- FAST ONE -- is considered a hardboiled classic. Too often, I have trouble figuring out what's going on in that book, and despite trying to read it at least a dozen times over the past 20 years, I've never managed to finish it. (His short stories are more manageable, I admit.)

--Charles

Message Edited by CharlesArdai on 09-30-2007 08:46 PM

New User
FeliciaDonovan
0 Kudos

I'm Felicia Donovan, author of THE BLACK WIDOW AGENCY Series from Midnight Ink Books. I'm looking forward to chatting with fellow authors and readers alike.

I hail from New Hampshire, home of authors Dan Brown, Janet Evanovich, Jodi Picoult, Brendan Dubois, Joe Hill, Paul Lindsay, etc. Must be the clean air.

In between trying to finish the next book in the series, I'm currently reading my fellow Midnight Ink author, Sue Ann Jaffarian's TOO BIG TO MISS.

I was raised on Nancy Drew and Agatha Christie, so I hold a special spot for female sleuths.

Looking forward to many lively discussions.
Felicia Donovan
Author, THE BLACK WIDOW AGENCY Series
www.feliciadonovan.com
New User
dpwhite
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi. I'm Dave White. My novel WHEN ONE MAN DIES just debuted on Tuesday. It's a private eye novel set in NJ. I'm currently at work on the second.

My favorite writers are Lehane, Lippman, Swierczynksi, Connelly, Crais, and Parker.

I'm currently reading Charlie Huston's SIX BAD THINGS and working my way through the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN trade paperbacks.

Oh, and thanks for the recommendation to Mr. Weagly, Charles.

-Dave

Message Edited by dpwhite on 09-30-2007 08:32 PM
New User
JosephineDamian
0 Kudos

Hello to everybody!

I'm a book reviewer, busy blogger, and writer of psychological suspense thrillers (novels, short stories, screenplays) and crime-related non-fiction, and a graduate student currently enrolled in a Criminal Forensics Studies program.

Originally from just outside NYC, I've lived in Florida for more than 10 long years now.

Favorite crime writer? That's a loaded question! I'm going to go with a classic, a master of suspense, Wilke Collins. I just finished reading "Heart Sick" by Chelsea Cain.
"If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?" Alexander Solzhenitsyn

http://josephinedamian.blogspot
www.myspace.com/josephinedamian
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

What did you think of Heartsick, Josephine? I thought it was great play on the classic serial killer model and Gretchen is as evil as she is alluring.

JosephineDamian wrote:
Hello to everybody!

I'm a book reviewer, busy blogger, and writer of psychological suspense thrillers (novels, short stories, screenplays) and crime-related non-fiction, and a graduate student currently enrolled in a Criminal Forensics Studies program.

Originally from just outside NYC, I've lived in Florida for more than 10 long years now.

Favorite crime writer? That's a loaded question! I'm going to go with a classic, a master of suspense, Wilke Collins. I just finished reading "Heart Sick" by Chelsea Cain.

Author
JasonStarr
0 Kudos

Judy, if you're looking for female noir writers aside from Megan, a couple more you might want to check out are Vicki Hendricks and Christa Faust. Hendricks has written some recent classics, including Miami Purity (just re-issued!) and Christa's Money Shot is fantastic, and is forthcoming from Hard Case Crime.
Author
JasonStarr
0 Kudos

Judy, oh, and Sara Gran as well. I highly recommend last year's Dope.
Contributor
SteveAllan
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Steve Allan. I've published mostly short stories. Like half the country, I'm currently writing a novel, actually two. The first novel I wrote is a horrible mess that will never see the light of day. I've been waiting for the right occasion to sacrifice it in some type of fiery ritual to rid the world of all its bad juju. I do have an MFA degree in Popular Fiction, which sounds more impressive than it really is.

I really can't pin down a favorite crime book or writer. Off the top of my head: Lehane's Mystic River; Connelly's The Black Ice; Hammett's Red Harvest and Maltese Falcon; Crumley's The Last Good Kiss and The Wrong Case; Chandler's The Big Sleep; Gregory MacDonald's Confess, Fletch; Highsmith's Talented Mr. Ripley; and a whole crap load I can't think of right now.

Currently reading: Terry Moore's Strangers in Paradise graphic novels and Slide by Bruen and Starr.
New User
JasonBovberg
0 Kudos

Hey everyone, my name is Jason Bovberg, and I make my home in Fort Collins, CO. I published a couple books a while back, under the name Dark Highway Press--Santa Steps Out (an erotic fairy tale starring Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny) and Skull Full of Spurs (a roundup of weird westerns). Sadly, Dark Highway is now on hiatus. These days, I'm focusing more on fatherhood and my own writing.

I've always been a HUGE noir fan, and currently I'm working my way through the great Hard Case Crime line. If you're interested, here's a fun Hard Case Crime thread over at DVD Talk's Book forum that I'm sorta maintaining.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,107 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: