Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
JohnW
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome: Please Introduce Yourself

Howdy, everyone. I'm John, hail from the windy city and am addicted to crime fiction.

Favorite all-time author (mystery or otherwise) is Raymond Chandler. I've recently "discovered" Day Keene, Gil Brewer and Dan J Marlowe. My favorite living authors would have to be James Ellroy and Richard Stark.

Currently I'm reading a dusty old mapback of Give 'em the Ax, by "AA Fair".
Author
Sandra_Ruttan
0 Kudos

My name is Sandra Ruttan. I live in Canada, and my book What Burns Within will be published by Dorchester next May, which makes me a cousin to the Hard Case Crime gang. I'm also an editor with Spinetingler Magazine, and on deadline at the moment, so I'd better get off of here and get my work done.

Look forward to crossing paths with all of you on the threads in the future.

Learn more about What Burns Within.
Author
Sandra_Ruttan
0 Kudos

Judi2 wrote:
Hi Everyone!

I live in Vancouver, Canada.

I guess I should order the books. Are they only available by mail by B&N or Dorchester?

As another Canadian I can back up what Charles said - you should have no trouble finding the books at Chapters/Indigo in the Lower Mainland. Dorchester's Leisure 'thriller' titles tend to be shelved in fiction & literature, so that's where you'll find books like Steven Torres's The Concrete Maze, while the Hard Case Crime books are shelved in the mystery section, and that's where you'll find books like Bust, Slide and Songs of Innocence. (Americans don't have the same split we do in this regard.)

As a Canadian, you can also join the book club. Every month the new Hard Case Crime book comes right to our mailbox...

Reader
Kaushik_Karforma
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My name is Kaushik Karforma, and I live and work in India. I'm addicted to all things pulp, including, but not limited to crime fiction. My favorite (crime) writers are Elmore Leonard, Mickey Spillane, and Donald E. Westlake. Currently reading the Parker novels, already finished "Slayground", right now on The Outfit". Unfortunately, we don't get Hard Case Crime novels here in India, so my appreciation is limited to gawking at the covers and the shaking my head in wonder after reading the excerpts on the HC Website.

I'm also trying my hand at a crime novel which I plan to start publishing online in the next few weeks.

Thanks to BN and the HC staff for coming up with this community. I plan to be an active member here.

The HC novels that I'm most excited about right now are "Money Shot" and "Zero Cool".

Regards

Kaushik
Contributor
DashCourageous
0 Kudos

I, am Dash Courageous.

Leader of the MorningStar Legion. Special secret combat unit empowered in 1923 by the president of the United States to protect its borders from external threats that aim to endanger the safety and security of this great nation.

-Dash Courageous

Blazing! Adventures Magazine

.....eh-hem, well, yes. Greetings all. (Hey Charles) My name is Robert S.P Lee, aka Dash Courageous, writer, editor & publisher of Blazing! Adventures Magazine.com. The Only Place, Where Pulp Lives!

Good idea you got here Charles.

Favorite crime writer; Mickey Spillane RIP.

Currently reading: BLACKMAILER BY AXELROD & THE CASE OF THE CASELLED REDHEAD BY HAMLIN DALY-
My name–is Dash Courageous. Leader of the MorningStar Legion. Special secret combat unit empowered in 1923 by the president of the United States to protect its borders from external threats that aim to endanger the safety and security of this great nation.

-Dash Courageous

Blazing! Adventures Magazine
New User
maldor
0 Kudos

I'm from Dallas big fan of crime and pulp fiction. My favorites inclued RaymondCHandler, Dashille Hammett, JOhn D. McDonald, Elmore Leonard, and the pulps heroes of the "30's ans '40's.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Glad to see an international crime community building here -- Canada, India, as well as, special secret combat commanders...
Contributor
BrianL
0 Kudos

Hi all. My name is Brian Lindenmuth and I write reviews and the occasional article and critical piece over at Mystery Book Spot, a recent offshoot of Fantasy Book Spot. My last article was Black Crime Fiction: An Introduction and my last critical piece was on Cross by Ken Bruen.

I am from Baltimore, the home of Homicide & The Wire, and now live in a northern suburb.

I read both kinds of books, fiction and non fiction.

My recent crime fiction reads were: Shakedown by Charlie Stella, When One Man Dies by Dave White and the graphic novel Scalped: Indian Country.

I'm currently reading Beating the Babushka by Tim Maleeny.

Next up will probably be Head Games by Craig McDonald.

Some favorite authors: James Sallis, Ken Bruen, Dennis Lehane, James Crumley, Robert Ward, Charlie Huston & Robert Deane Pharr.

Goals for the new year - Get Charles to include a brother in the Hard Case lineup. :smileywink:
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

> Goals for the new year - Get
> Charles to include a brother
> in the Hard Case lineup.

Hell, I'd love to. And you may get your wish. Can't say any more right now, but we've got some things cooking...

--Charles

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Author
Sandra_Ruttan
0 Kudos

BrianL wrote:
Hi all. My name is Brian Lindenmuth

It's about time you showed up!

New User
joeschreiber
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Joe Schreiber. I've had a couple horror novels published, CHASING THE DEAD and EAT THE DARK, which is due out in a couple weeks. I'm a big fan of a lot of the folks who have already showed up here -- Swierczy, Jason Starr, Charlie Huston -- and I'm pleased as pie to join in. The last three crime novels I loved were Duane's THE BLONDE, Chelsea Cain's HEARTSICK and Joel Townsley Rogers' RED RIGHT HAND. Peter Abrahams is a big favorite too. Going back, I'm a big fan of Goodis, Chandler, William Linday Gresham, Robert Edmond Alter and Elliot Chaze's BLACK WINGS HAS MY ANGEL.

Great to meet you all.
New User
norby
0 Kudos

Hey howdy, norby here. I live in Kalamazoo, MI-I've been here for wow, thirteen years now. I'm currently not working because I was taking classes so that I could get into nursing school. Well, I've been accepted to school, but a chronic pain problem is now keeping me out of school, but giving me lots of time to read and play on the internet. Not too much money in that, but fun anyway.

As for favorite authors, the list is long, but you'll find people like Ken Bruen, Mark Billingham, John Connolly, Augusten Burroughs, and Stuart MacBride on it. I should point out that those are in no particular order and you'll note that one of those names is not like the others. In addition to mystery/crime novels I also read quite a bit of nonfiction and whatever else catches my eye.

At the moment I'm reading Bloodline by F. Paul Wilson, the latest in the Repairman Jack series.
Failure is always an option.
-Mythbusters Official Motto
New User
norby
0 Kudos

Oops, I also meant to say that I found out about the Crime Club through a post by Charles on Crimespace. Then, thankfully, Sandra posted something on her blog. Left to my own devices I would have stumbled upon all of you about ten years from now. I can't spend too much time on the bn website (or in the store for that matter) or I spend too much money, even with my member discount.
Failure is always an option.
-Mythbusters Official Motto
New User
BrandonS
0 Kudos

My name is Brandon, and I learned of this message board from a posting on the Hard Case Crime newsletter. I've been reading the HCC books for a few years, and although I am a slow reader and haven't bought any new books in the series for some months now, I look forward to catching up and reading new entries in the future. I'm not interested in listing favorite books/authors, because my tastes are pretty flexible. I am interested in discussing all manner of crime literature, however. Thanks!
Contributor
BrianL
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
> Goals for the new year - Get
> Charles to include a brother
> in the Hard Case lineup.

Hell, I'd love to. And you may get your wish. Can't say any more right now, but we've got some things cooking...

--Charles

Good, I'm looking forward to it. After the article some people asked me which book would make a good reprint and it was a tough question because those older novels are in many ways so different. I have no idea what is up your sleeve but I've always wanted to see a Gary Phillips Hard Case novel.

Message Edited by BrianL on 10-04-2007 09:53 AM
New User
Ron_Dickie
0 Kudos

Greetings all,

My name is Ron Dickie and I hail from Ontario, Canada. I currently own more books than I can ever hope to read in my lifetime, but I don't let that stop me from buying even more, much to my wife's chagrin.

Among my favourite crime writers are Donald Westlake, Jim Thompson, Raymond Chandler, and Ken Bruen. There are many more, but I don't feel like making a 5000 word post right now. :smileywink:

I'm looking forward to seeing what sorts of discussions arise on this board.
New User
Jgetze
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by Jgetze on 10-04-2007 01:00 PM
New User
Jgetze
0 Kudos

My name is Jack Getze, I'm a new author (Big Numbers, 2007, Big Money, 2008), and there are few bigger Raymond Chandler fans than me. Heck, my series has "Big" in the titles because of The Big Sleep and my love of Chandler's work. I was introduced to Mr. C, Dashell Hammett, and James M. Cain by rimrats at the L.A. Times back in the 70s, and my tastes have never varied. Hard-boiled and noir is what I want to read, and thanks to Mr. Ardai here for feeding my habit. Ken Bruen rocks! Back to work on #3, Big Mojo.
Reader 4
keithr34
0 Kudos

Hi all,

My name's Keith Rawson, and I live in phoenix, AZ with my wife, daughter, and our 2 dogs. I spend most of my free time reading, and hardboiled crime is my favorite genre. I'm a big fan of James Ellroy, Dennis Lehane, Ken Bruen, David Goodis, Jim Thompson, Jason Starr, James M. Cain. I'm currently reading the Shotgun Rule bt Charlie Huston (Amazingly quick and satisfying read) the James Deans by Reed Farrel Coleman (another great one)and the Black Echo by Michael Connolly. And Unlike most crime fans--and I know I'm going to catch a rash of crap for it--but I'm not a fan of Raymond Chandler.
Contributor
cory
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am a teacher, a bookseller, and a huge crime fiction fan. My favorites include Ken Bruen, Lee Child, Jim Thompson (holy cow, just discovered The Killer Inside Me a few weeks ago), Ian Rankin, Max Allan Collins, Henning Mankell, and several others. I discovered this club on a blog that referenced Charles Ardai. I love the HCC books.

Authors I hope to read more of in the future include Jason Pinter, Jason Starr, Ace Atkins, A. Guthrie, Ellroy, Joseph Finder, and others.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 664 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: