Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mordlust
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome: Please Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]
> Glad to see an international crime community building here -- Canada, India

Then let's add Germany to the crime community.
The name is Myron and I'm an author and editor of a German noir-Site dealing with books, films, music, etc. - called www.mordlust.de. Some of you guys are mentioned there - for example Megan, Charles and Christa.

Just read "Queenpin", right now I'm into "A Touch of Death" by Charles Williams (Hard Case Crime edition). Favorite authors are Horace McCoy, David Goodis, Jim Thompson and of course Hammett & Chandler. My favorite among recent authors is Daniel Woodrell.

Greetings from Germany,

Myron

Message Edited by mordlust on 10-05-2007 11:32 AM
New User
DanielHatadi
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
My name's Daniel Hatadi. By day, I'm a software engineer in the shady field of gambling, poker machines to be exact. No, I'm not going to help you beat the odds. Just listen to Yul Brynner, and whenever he says the word 'smoke', replace it with 'gamble'.

I've written a handful of crime short stories that you can easily find around the net, all to keep me going while I work on my second novel (the first one's already hidden safely under the house, in a tunnel, that leads to the core of the Earth). In one sentence, that novel can be described as being about: "An unwilling hitman becomes part of a crime syndicate that reaches back to turn-of-the-century Sydney."

Some of you may know me from Crimespace (crimespace.ning.com), as I'm the man that created it and the bouncer-like character that maintains it. Since I am still but a babe in the woods of crime fiction, I'm looking forward to poking around here and absorbing all manner of fluids. I mean information.

Yes, information.

Message Edited by DanielHatadi on 10-05-2007 08:19 PM
Author
allanguthrie
0 Kudos

Hi, my name's Allan Guthrie. I'm a writer, editor and literary agent based in Scotland and a big fan of all things noir and hardboiled.

Learn more about Hard Man.
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Don't let the man's modesty fool you -- he's not just a *fan* of all things noir and hardboiled, he's one of the field's experts on both topics, as well as being a first-rate (and increasingly celebrated) creator of same, in novels ranging from his Edgar-nominated Hard Case Crime classic, KISS HER GOODBYE, to his most recent, HARD MAN.

Welcome, Al. Glad to have you on the board.

--Charles

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Author
ChristaFaust
0 Kudos

CharlesArdai wrote:
> Goals for the new year - Get
> Charles to include a brother
> in the Hard Case lineup.

Hell, I'd love to. And you may get your wish. Can't say any more right now, but we've got some things cooking...

--Charles

I'd vote for Gary Phillips! I really enjoyed The Jook.

Learn more about Money Shot.
Author
ChristaFaust
0 Kudos

BrianL wrote:
I have no idea what is up your sleeve but I've always wanted to see a Gary Phillips Hard Case novel.

Ha ha ha! Great minds think alike, eh?

Learn more about Money Shot.
New User
AL_K
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
My name is Al and I live in jersey city right across the hudson river from nyc and surprse, surpise, I am not a writer nor do I aspire to be one, although I work for a major metropolitan newspaper. I am a huge fan of all things hardboiled and noir. My favorite authors include the usual suspects, Hammett, James Cain, Chandler, Woolrich, Ross Macdonald, Willeford and Crumley. I also enjoy the works Fredric Brown, John Franklin Bardin, Ed Lacy, Bart Spicer, Thomas Dewey, Gerald Kersh, Kent Harrington, Kem Nunn, Loren Estleman and Jonathan Valin.

I just finished reading an Ed Lacy book, Harlem Underground, which I really enjoyed.
I am currently reading a HCC paperback of Fright which is thus far superb. Charles Ardai, you're doing a great thing reprinting all these great noir classics and bringing out new authors too. I was grateful to have you sign my first edition HARDCOVER copy of Little Girl Lost at coliseum book last year.

Al

Message Edited by AL_K on 10-07-2007 02:56 PM
Contributor
Blevins
0 Kudos

My name's Marc Blevins. I live in Rhode Island. Love Ellroy, Parker, Hammett, Chandler, and Mosley among others. Last two books I read were SLIDE and THE TIN ROOF BLOWDOWN, both very good. I am a bartender and schoolteacher, and have (self) published two detective novels, the most recent being PRAY FOR THE DEAD last year. Both can be found at Barnes and Noble. I'm a big fan of Charles' HARD CASE CRIME series, and commend him for continuously finding vintage Lawrence Block. Tip the hat to him for that.
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Thanks, guys. Knowing there are people out there enjoying what we do makes it all worth it, seriously. (We're certainly not in it for the money! Which is just as well, because there isn't any money...)

--Charles

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Contributor
hagarrpt
0 Kudos

My name is Connie, and I live near Austin, Texas. I don't write, but I do read...just about anything hardboiled, especially the "classics". Hard Case Crime has been a wonderful way to "discover" authors I might not have known otherwise, and I find myself searching for more books by authors such as David Dodge.

I just finished the last Jeremiah Healy series book with Boston PI John Cuddy as main character and The Name is Archer by Ross Macdonald and will start Black Fly Season by Giles Blunt next.

Connie
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I love Giles Blunt. I've read his 3 books: FORTY WORDS OF SORROW, BLACK FLY SEASON and his latest BY THE TIME YOU READ THIS.

His hero, John Cardinal, is a very sympathetic character. I look forward to his next book.
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
New User
John_McFetridge
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm John McFetridge, another Canadian here. I grew up in Montreal and now live in Toronto. My first crime novel, Dirty Sweet came in 2006 and my second, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere will be out in 2008.

Although I love the classics in crime fiction, I have to say what I really like about the genre is what's going on now. Many of the names mentioned so far (and many of the peope participating here) are really bringing great, fresh new voices to the genre.
New User
alloy
0 Kudos

Steve Alloy--new member

I'm a lifelong Chicagoan who has lived the past 1 1/2 years in South Dakota. Right now I'm reading Westlake's The Ax, and when I finish that in a day or two I'll start Jason Starr's The Follower.

In addition to Westlake (and his alias Stark) and Starr, I like Lawrence Block (and all his aliases), Cornell Woolrich and the Max's: Phillips and Collins. Really enjoyed Stansberry's The Confession recently, too.
Contributor
hagarrpt
0 Kudos

I, too, enjoy John Cardinal as main character, and I like his partner, Delorme, as well. I've enjoyed Forty Words for Sorrow and The Delicate Storm and now Black Fly Season. I'm waiting for his latest to come out in paperback.

Connie
Frequent Contributor
DanaKing
0 Kudos

I'm Dana King, from Laurel, MD (not quite halfway from DC to Baltimore). A lover of mysteries since my grandfather introduced me to Sherlock Holmes; a devotee since I found an old Mickey Spillane paperback while helping my dad clean his workshop.

I currently write reviews for the New Mystery Reader web site, and have had a few short stories published there. I also have an agent currently looking for a publisher for a series of detective novels set in Chicago. I'm currently working on a standalone crime novel.

The three writers who stand atop my pantheon are Raymond Chandler, Ed McBain, and Elmore Leonard. Close, but not quite, are Carl Hiaasen, John Connolly, Robert Crais, and Dennis Lehane.
New User
BClayMoore
0 Kudos

My name is B. Clay Moore. I'm a comic book writer, currently working (in a crime vein) on a new Hawaiian Dick series (the third), featuring my fifties-era Hawaiian Sleuth (Byrd).

I'm also working on a book set in 1976 (called...'76), and just finished George Pelecanos's King Suckerman. My first foray into Peleconos, but I'm following it up with The Sweet Forever.
-----------------
B. Clay Moore
Hawaiian Dick Online
The BCM Message Board
------------------------------
Contributor
arhwriter
0 Kudos

BClayMoore wrote:
My name is B. Clay Moore. I'm a comic book writer, currently working (in a crime vein) on a new Hawaiian Dick series (the third), featuring my fifties-era Hawaiian Sleuth (Byrd).

I'm also working on a book set in 1976 (called...'76), and just finished George Pelecanos's King Suckerman. My first foray into Peleconos, but I'm following it up with The Sweet Forever.

I really enjoyed your first Hawaiian Dick arc. Your second is on my TBR pile. A third storyline in the works! N-i-c-e. Best of luck.

Aaron
Author
JasonStarr
0 Kudos

Hey, Paul, here or in another thread you asked about Cold Caller (the spoiler question). I actually don't remember which parking lot it was! (though I believe it was the one farther west on that block) I'm in the midst of polishing a screenplay of Cold Caller for Australian producers, setting the story in Sydney. There will be "that scene" in the parking lot in the movie version.
Contributor
mikesteckler
0 Kudos

My name is Mike Steckler. I live on Long Island, N.Y. and read more crime fiction than what is probably healthy for me. I'm switching back and forth right now between the Hap Collins Leonard Pine novels by Joe Lansdale (In the middle of Rumble Tumble)and the Drake series by Dan J. Marlowe. Just finished the lastest J.D. Rhoades "Safe and Sound" and Ken Bruen's latest "Ammunition".

Love this messageboard.

Mike
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

That's what I figured, Jason -- there's more spray paint!

JasonStarr wrote:
Hey, Paul, here or in another thread you asked about Cold Caller (the spoiler question). I actually don't remember which parking lot it was! (though I believe it was the one farther west on that block) I'm in the midst of polishing a screenplay of Cold Caller for Australian producers, setting the story in Sydney. There will be "that scene" in the parking lot in the movie version.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 8 members 703 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: