Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Ed_Brubaker
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome: Please Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]
Hi Charles and everyone else. I can't believe B. Clay Moore beat me here. My name is Ed Brubaker and I'm a writer, mostly of comics right now. I write a bunch of books for Marvel Comics, and I also produce an independent comic called CRIMINAL, which is not only a place for my crime stories, but a venue for me and other friends to write non-fiction about noir. Charles has contributed a bit, already, as have Charlie Huston and Warren Ellis and several others.

Anyway, glad to have discovered this forum, I'm a big fan of many of the writers who post here already. The most recent book I finished was actually Hard Feelings, and I'm currently reading the Outfit by Gus Russo and Die a Little by Megan Abbott.

Message Edited by Ed_Brubaker on 10-11-2007 09:02 PM

Learn more about Coward.
New User
BClayMoore
0 Kudos

arhwriter wrote:

BClayMoore wrote:
My name is B. Clay Moore. I'm a comic book writer, currently working (in a crime vein) on a new Hawaiian Dick series (the third), featuring my fifties-era Hawaiian Sleuth (Byrd).

I'm also working on a book set in 1976 (called...'76), and just finished George Pelecanos's King Suckerman. My first foray into Peleconos, but I'm following it up with The Sweet Forever.

I really enjoyed your first Hawaiian Dick arc. Your second is on my TBR pile. A third storyline in the works! N-i-c-e. Best of luck.

Aaron

Hey, Thanks, Aaron! Much appreciated. I've got more crime stuff on the horizon, too.

And I'd encourage anyone here who isn't into comics but loves noir to jump into Ed Brubaker's CRIMINAL.

It's fantastic stuff. Does the genre proud. I'd say that even if he wasn't lurking in the corner.

-BCM
-----------------
B. Clay Moore
Hawaiian Dick Online
The BCM Message Board
------------------------------
New User
roody91
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am from New Jersey. I recently completed a course entitled "American Detective Fiction" as part of an online bachelor's program I am enrolled in at Pace University. It was one of the best college courses I have ever taken. It introduced me to a genre that I knew existed but never caught my interest. I chose the course to challenge myself. It ended up being fairly easy as I thoroughly enjoyed the readings:

A couple of Sherlock Holmes and Edgar Allen Poe stories.
The Circular Staircase: Mary Roberts Reinhart
The Conjure-Man Dies: Rudolph Fisher
The Continental Op: Dashiel Hammet
The Big Sleep: Raymond Chandler
The Silence of the Lambs: Thomas Harris

I was so impressed by The Big Sleep that I went out and bought all of Chandler's books!!!

I look forward to being part of this book club.

Frank B.
New User
Dec618
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Kevin. Originally from the Bronx, now living just outside of Boston. And a converted Sox fan, much to the chagrin of my Bronx-born wife and my Bronx cop father. Dennis Lehane and Michael Connelly are my favorite writers. Tomorrow I'm starting A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson. Other than that I'm a cliche - a lawyer who wants to be a writer.
Author
JD_Rhoades
0 Kudos

mikesteckler wrote:
My name is Mike Steckler. I live on Long Island, N.Y. and read more crime fiction than what is probably healthy for me. I'm switching back and forth right now between the Hap Collins Leonard Pine novels by Joe Lansdale (In the middle of Rumble Tumble)and the Drake series by Dan J. Marlowe. Just finished the lastest J.D. Rhoades "Safe and Sound" and Ken Bruen's latest "Ammunition".

Love this messageboard.

Mike

Hi, Mike! Hope you liked SAFE & SOUND.

Learn more about Safe and Sound.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I've just finished The Last Striptease, which is a terrific debut and introduces a unique P.I. in the character of Joe Kozmarski. It's dark, atmospheric and promises to be a great series going forward.

Paul
Contributor
mikesteckler
0 Kudos

I found it very interesting to see Keller taken out of his comfort zone of the city, and how he seemed almost to be a secondary character to Marie. I enjoyed it very much, and hope to see more.

I also thought the first two books were alot of fun. Not only well written but very engaging. I had a hard time putting them down.

Mike
New User
DPLyleMD
0 Kudos

Charles, Peter, and Paul

What a great little Crime Blog. I'm looking forward to visiting often. Should be fun.

I see my friends Megan Abbott and Christa Faust are members. HELLO to both of them.

Doug
Author of Forensics and Fiction, Murder and Mayhem, and Forensics For Dummies
The Writers Medical and Forensics Lab
http://www.dplylemd.com
Contributor
Pattinase
0 Kudos

Mr. Lyle-I have your book Murder and Mayhem sitting on my living room table as we speak. Wonderful resource.
Reader 2
Krypt
0 Kudos

Greetings and salutations,

I'm Brent Anthony, sometime writer and longtime reader. I heard about the book clubs here at the B&N site and decided to join in. I hail from deep Southeast Texas near the Louisiana border and the Gulf of Mexico. My favorite authors include Raymond Chandler, Richard Stark, William Gibson and Andrew Vachss. I recently finished "Spook Country" and I'm currently reading "The Godfather Returns."
"I have myself only recently gotten up the courage to recall some of my former adventures, which up until now I have always skirted - indeed, with a kind of anxiety. But now, precisely now, when I have not only recalled them but have even decided to write them down, I want to test whether it's possible to be entirely frank at least with oneself and dare to face the whole truth."
-Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Welcome, Brent. What did you think of Spook Country?

Krypt wrote:
Greetings and salutations,

I'm Brent Anthony, sometime writer and longtime reader. I heard about the book clubs here at the B&N site and decided to join in. I hail from deep Southeast Texas near the Louisiana border and the Gulf of Mexico. My favorite authors include Raymond Chandler, Richard Stark, William Gibson and Andrew Vachss. I recently finished "Spook Country" and I'm currently reading "The Godfather Returns."

Reader 2
Krypt
0 Kudos

Loved it. I especially liked the Chinese/Cuban-American family of info-smugglers. I'm enjoying Gibson's present-day novels even more than his near-future tales.
"I have myself only recently gotten up the courage to recall some of my former adventures, which up until now I have always skirted - indeed, with a kind of anxiety. But now, precisely now, when I have not only recalled them but have even decided to write them down, I want to test whether it's possible to be entirely frank at least with oneself and dare to face the whole truth."
-Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground
Author
JD_Rhoades
0 Kudos

mikesteckler wrote:
I found it very interesting to see Keller taken out of his comfort zone of the city, and how he seemed almost to be a secondary character to Marie. I enjoyed it very much, and hope to see more.

I also thought the first two books were alot of fun. Not only well written but very engaging. I had a hard time putting them down.

Mike

Thanks for the good words, Mike!

Learn more about Safe and Sound.
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello everyone. This is my third attempt to join the conversation. Hopefully this time I'll be able to overcome any technical difficulties. I've got my fingers crossed.

My name is Eric Searleman and I'm the fiction editor for a publisher in San Francisco. But I'm not here as a professional, I'm here as a fan of crime fiction. I have a bias for translated fiction (Japanese, European and otherwise), and dig all the stuff everyone's been yammering about on these forums. Next up for me: Last Rituals by Yrsa Sigurdardottir, and Tokyo Year Zero by David Peace.

Beyond that, I'm looking forward to more Charlie Huston and Seicho Matsumoto (in December), and Christa Faust (in February). And is it true that the Hard Case Crime crew are preparing a David Schow book sometime in 2008? If so, put that on my list as well. And I don't wanna forget Duane Swierczynski. He'll undoubtedly have something worth reading in 2008 too.
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Your third attempt is a charm, Eric. Welcome. As a fan of translations, you should check out Jo Nesbo's The Redbreast when it comes out on November 20th. It was actually named the best ever Norwegian crime novel. I'm not sure how many Norwegian crime novels there are, but that's quite an honor in my book. Seriously, it's a great, great read!

EricSearleman wrote:
Hello everyone. This is my third attempt to join the conversation. Hopefully this time I'll be able to overcome any technical difficulties. I've got my fingers crossed.

My name is Eric Searleman and I'm the fiction editor for a publisher in San Francisco. But I'm not here as a professional, I'm here as a fan of crime fiction. I have a bias for translated fiction (Japanese, European and otherwise), and dig all the stuff everyone's been yammering about on these forums. Next up for me: Last Rituals by Yrsa Sigurdardottir, and Tokyo Year Zero by David Peace.

Beyond that, I'm looking forward to more Charlie Huston and Seicho Matsumoto (in December), and Christa Faust (in February). And is it true that the Hard Case Crime crew are preparing a David Schow book sometime in 2008? If so, put that on my list as well. And I don't wanna forget Duane Swierczynski. He'll undoubtedly have something worth reading in 2008 too.

Contributor
cory
0 Kudos

Eric,

I just recently finished Huston's CAUGHT STEALING. I was very impressed, and look forward to #2 in the Hank Thompson trilogy.
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

To answer the earlier question, yes, it's true that Hard Case Crime will be publishing a brand new book by David J. Schow in 2008. It's called GUN WORK, and it's the story of a professional gunman who flies to Mexico to help a friend rescue his wife from kidnappers but then winds up in serious hot water himself. It's a very exciting book, and it you like Schow's work, you'll definitely want to check it out.

--Charles

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
New User
CJBarrimond
0 Kudos

Hello Charles, I will introduce myself, CJ Barrimond. I'm a published Author with Publish America and I am currently working on a Mystery as my second book. I'm new to these rooms and am honored to meet you. I have not currently read of any of your books, but its never too late to start. I usually read Patterson, Grisham, Peri O'Shaunasey, Tanunbaum and a few others. I worked law enforcement for 8 1/2 yrs as corrections and my husband is still working in law enforcement. Any words of wisdom for me?
www.freewebs.com/grama-cjbarrimond
www.auhtorsden.com/cjbarrimond.com
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

> Any words of wisdom for me?

Ah, I wish I could just whip out something pithy and wise that would inspire or instruct you...but writing is like any other human endeavor in the sense that there aren't any shortcuts to becoming good at it. You just have to work at it, and read other people's work and learn from it; and of course it helps if you start out with some raw talent (though judging by some of the folks you see on the bestseller lists, this isn't a requirement -- consider OJ Simpson).

I wish you the best of luck with it. And in the meantime I'm delighted you're here, to talk with us about the books you're reading.

--Charles

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Author
michaelwiley
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I'm Michael Wiley, and my first novel, THE LAST STRIPTEASE, came out last week. Thanks, Paul H, for your kind comments about it: you name it as I tried to write it, and that's gratifying. As for the writers I love, I'll play a much-played tune, but a good one: no one else gets me and moves me as Chandler does, and when I put down Chandler I'm happy with a lot of his children.
Michael

Learn more about The Last Striptease.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 30 members 1,080 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: