Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

What Are You Currently Reading?

I'm about halfway through an advance copy of Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Played with Fire. This is the follow up to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which I liked but I thought it was a little long in the tooth and could have been concluded a 100 pages earlier than it was.

That being said, The Girl Who Played with Fire is excellent so far. Should these be made into film, I wonder who would play Lisbeth Salander? Such a ferociously penned heroine!

Contributor
RRebelo
0 Kudos

Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

I am currently halfway through Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder Series. Currently I am on "When the Sacred Gin Mill Closes" When I am in the car or on the move My Ipod is currently set to Lee Child's Jack Reacher series, for that group I am at #5 "Echo Burning". I am absolutely thrilled with both series  so much so that I think I will be bummed in a couple of months when I have completed both. Some might argue that the Reacher series is more of an action based collection but there is certainly a great deal of mystery (Especially in Running Blind).The Scudder series is a classic and probably needs no introduction in this blog. I just want to point out to those who have not read it that the first few are not nearly as strong as the series after and including "A Stab in the Dark"

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

RRebelo wrote:

I am currently halfway through Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder Series. Currently I am on "When the Sacred Gin Mill Closes" When I am in the car or on the move My Ipod is currently set to Lee Child's Jack Reacher series, for that group I am at #5 "Echo Burning". I am absolutely thrilled with both series  so much so that I think I will be bummed in a couple of months when I have completed both. Some might argue that the Reacher series is more of an action based collection but there is certainly a great deal of mystery (Especially in Running Blind).The Scudder series is a classic and probably needs no introduction in this blog. I just want to point out to those who have not read it that the first few are not nearly as strong as the series after and including "A Stab in the Dark"

I have read all of the Reacher novels.  They are real page turners.

MG

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Okay, I finished The The Girl Who Played with Fire and, in my opinion, it's a far superior book to The The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The plot is intricate and intense. I can not wait for the next installment. It's truly a shame that Larsson passed away so young. What a talent he was.
Contributor
smokeKY
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just picked up "The First Quarry", a hard case crime, by Max Allan Collins.  I am only a little bit into it, but I am already loving this one!

I am trying to work my way through Donald Westlake's work, but noticed this on the shelf and since I have enjoyed all the other hard case crime books, I figured I could take a break from Westlake for a few days....Westlake's work is just incredible.

Message Edited by smokeKY on 03-27-2009 09:43 AM
Contributor
Keller
0 Kudos

I liked this Quarry installment -- HCC will be publishing another Quarry novel later this year.

I'm currently reading book #2 in Barry Eisler's John Rain series.  Eisler is a cool guy, btw -- went to a reading earlier this week.

Contributor
-Ray
0 Kudos

Hi all, I just finished reading an advance copy of Fake I.D. by Jason Starr, very good read. I just started reading House Dick by E. Howard Hunt. I am really liking this one. Next on my pile is The Hunter by Richard Stark.
Contributor
Keller

-Ray wrote:
Hi all, I just finished reading an advance copy of Fake I.D. by Jason Starr, very good read. I just started reading House Dick by E. Howard Hunt. I am really liking this one. Next on my pile is The Hunter by Richard Stark.
You're in for a treat with Stark's The Hunter.  I recently read the new, handsome Chicago Press edition.  I'm on #2 right now (The Man with the Getaway Face) -- great stuff! :smileyhappy:
Contributor
-Ray
0 Kudos

Keller wrote:

-Ray wrote:
You're in for a treat with Stark's The Hunter.  I recently read the new, handsome Chicago Press edition.  I'm on #2 right now (The Man with the Getaway Face) -- great stuff! :smileyhappy:

Thanks Keller,, I just started it last night and so far so good. I have the Chicago Press edition also.

I have to admit that I finished House Dick Last night and it was a terrific read, One of my favorite Hard Case Crime books so far.

Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Thanks.  I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Contributor
Keller
0 Kudos

currently reading Adrian McKinty's Dead I Well May Be.  Helluva read!!

Dead I Well May Be 

Contributor
Keller
0 Kudos

Loser's Town by Daniel Depp

Loser's Town 

Contributor
Keller
0 Kudos

Contributor
TravisLeamons
0 Kudos

Right now I'm reading
City of the Sun by David Levien

After that I may tackle an advanced copy of Tom Schreck's Out Cold. 

Contributor
Keller
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am typically current on the HCC titles, but I am currently rendering a backlog (too many books, too little time).  Currently reading the Subterranean Press hardcover edition of 50-to-1 (very handsome presentation):

Fifty-to-One 

Message Edited by Keller on 05-05-2009 02:17 PM
Message Edited by Keller on 05-05-2009 02:18 PM
Author
CharlesArdai
0 Kudos

Thanks, Keller.  Hope you enjoy it.

--Charles

Learn more about Songs of Innocence.
Visit www.HardCaseCrime.com.
Contributor
Keller
0 Kudos

^ Finished it in a couple days.  As always, great writing Charles (kudos to Max too :smileywink:).  Was a fun experiment to read.

About to finish Block's latest HCC installment, Killing Castro -- another quick and engaging read from the Grandmaster.  After that, will likely plug away at the latest batch of Parker novels produced by University of Chicago Press.

New User
Darth-Vader
0 Kudos

I am  currently reading Wicked Prey by John Sandford.
Contributor
Keller
0 Kudos

I love the Prey series and have read all 19 of them.  I went to a Sandford reading the other night and picked up his latest, though have not yet read it.  Hope it's a good one.

Let us know how it is! :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Keller
0 Kudos

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:11 members 240 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: