Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

A Moment of Silence for Michael Jackson

Someone at another board I visited brought this up (this is the whole article, by the way):

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The House of Representatives held a moment of silence Friday morning to mark the passing of legendary singer Michael Jackson.
"His heart couldn't get any bigger, and yesterday, it arrested," said Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. "I come to the floor today on behalf of a generation to thank God for letting all of us live in his generation and in his era."

He was outraged that the congress would give a moment of silence for Michael Jackson. His argument was that it constituted "star-[term for sexual congress here]" and was disgusting. For the most part, his argument devolved to being angry at the crimes Jackson committed, irrespective of the fact that he was acquitted. However, another poster was supportive of the gesture, pointing out that Jackson basically revolutionized two art forms (dance, in which everyone rips him off, and video, which he essentially created as an art), broke through MTV's unintentional but essentially very real color barrier, and raised millions of dollars for people living in poverty via "We Are the World."

So I was curious what you thought. Inappropriate gesture? (If so, just for Jackson, or should congress get out of this business altogether?) Appropriate gesture?  

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: A Moment of Silence for Michael Jackson

[ Edited ]

I don't see why anyone would be outraged over this, other than people who are looking for a reasons to be outraged.  The main reason seems to be that a.) Congress has other things to do (true, but this barely took up any time)  and b.) Michael Jackson is famous and this is a sign of the evil Hollywood liberals destroying our society etc. and etc. - which makes me wonder if those same people were equally outraged by Jackson's visit with President Reagan, and with Reagan's generous public praise for Jackson.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 06-29-2009 09:25 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Have Congress honoured other celebrities in this way - if so who?  Elvis, for instance?  

Jon_B wrote:

I don't see why anyone would be outraged over this, other than people who are looking for a reasons to be outraged.  The main reason seems to be that a.) Congress has other things to do (true, but this barely took up any time)  and b.) Michael Jackson is famous and this is a sign of the evil Hollywood liberals destroying our society etc. and etc. - which makes me wonder if those same people were equally outraged by Jackson's visit with President Reagan, and with Reagan's generous public praise for Jackson.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 06-29-2009 09:25 AM

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Have Congress honoured other celebrities in this way - if so who?  Elvis, for instance?

I don't know about Elvis, but I do know he shook hands with Nixon and got some kind of honorary badge because he wanted to help root out anti-American elements. That said, there are numerous government awards or recognition citizens can get and that entertainers have gotten. I don't know how many moments of silence have been granted, though, since that seems like the sort of stat no one would be tracking. But just to give you an idea of how high the level of celebrity recognition has gone officially, the Presidential Medal of Freedom — the highest civilian honor given by the U.S. — was conferred on University of Alabama football coach Bear Bryant. Bryant was a good coach, but it's not like he was doing anything Bono-like in the off-hours.
RTA
Wordsmith
RTA

Are you kidding me!?  Of all Congress's recent (and not so recent) decisions, that's what some people choose to bunch their panties over?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

RTA wrote:

Are you kidding me!?  Of all Congress's recent (and not so recent) decisions, that's what some people choose to bunch their panties over?

Better than the report from last revealing that congress spends 30% of their time collectively naming silly holidays; onion day, national secretaries day, ect..

Correspondent
JennGrrl

I did a brief search for moments of silence held in Congress and came up with a whole lot of them.  This isn't an uncommon thing, apparently.  I didn't research entertainers specifically, but there were enough people listed that I'm sure it's a pretty eclectic group, not to mention the moments held for the troops, for Holocaust remembrance, etc.

I don't care if you loved MJ or hated him, he's still someone's family member: father, brother, son, uncle, etc.  If you don't want to like him, fine, but at least respect that fact.

I just look at it that way.

I don't care if Congress had a moment of silence.  Good for them.  Maybe that's something that 20 years from now MJ's kids will hear about and feel pride in.  All of this isn't about him, but about the people who loved him; the people still here.  That's all a funeral or memorial or moment of silence ever is, really.