Contributor
AvidReaderPK
0 Kudos

American Economic Boost

One thing I know about history is that its actions can sometimes be used again.  Back during the period leading up to the War of 1812, France and England were our biggest trade partners.  The President at that time was Thomas Jefferson.  France and England were at war with each other (again) and both were in need of sailors to serve in their navys.  Where did they get those sailors? They impressed them.  Our merchant ships would sail over to trade, and the American sailors were taken and forced to serve in the navy of whatever country they were in France or England.  In hope of stopping the impressment of our merchant sailors President Jefferson issued an embargo, or halt of trade, against both France and England.  What that did was it hurt the economy in the beginning, but then forced the people of America to stop relying on imports, and start making their own products.  Perhaps, with some careful planning to stop the economy going down first, that is what we should do now.  Tax or halt trade with countries like China, and start focusing on making the products ourselves.  Not only would it provide jobs, but it would also stimulate our economy.  It would also make our product quality better because if the shoemaker makes faulty shoes, he's going to have to wear them to and not just import them from Indonesia.  The reason German products are made so well is because they care what their customers think, we kind of only care about what we think, if you don't like Cheerios then you probably (unless you are forced to) won't keep buying Cheerios.  Well now if the shoemaker's shoes fall apart, he might just start making them better if he made his own shoes, and he doesn't like his feet getting wet when his pair of shoes falls apart too.        

(Please post your comments, negative comments are allowed, but no harsh language please.)

"It's dark outside, but all I hear is tweet, tweet, tweet."
-AvidReaderPK
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: American Economic Boost

[ Edited ]

I'd like to think trade, in its purest sense, is an exchange of a commodity that your trading partner has but you do not have, in exchange for a good or commodity that you have but your trading partner does not have. So, if you take a look at the tea trade for example, in either the United States or Great Britain, in would be tea for silver,(i.e. trade between the U.K. and China), or perhaps tea for cotton or tobacco (i.e.trade between the U.K. and the U.S). Had the world been able to resist the temptation of tea, I think it would be a different world altogether (Not marijaunna interestingly, but tea:smileyvery-happy:) Something "insular" is what we possibly could have been a long time ago, but not now anyhow.

I am all for people making their own clothes, shoes etc. My understanding is that the price of labor is the main reason buisnesses manufacture overseas. That is, the price of labor in the U.S. is too high...

Chad

Contributor
AvidReaderPK
0 Kudos

You are correct when you say that high cost are the reason for buisnesses leaving to other countries.  If we were to restrict trade, people would have to eventually have to step up to the plate, and fufill the need for products.  The founding fathers created America.  Alexander Hamilton created America's early economic plan, he created a plan that got us out of the debt from the Revolutionary War.  America is in debt now (a lot more debt) but perhaps if we kind of duplicate history in a modern era, by making our own products and selling them to other countries in balance with the products we are getting from other countries, and rely on each other to survive we wouldn't be shuch a mess.  Like for example back in the beginning of our nation we were getting tea from Great Britian, in exchange for tobacco.  Back then it would kill you money wise to move to a different country because the population lived in poverty and worked for you for less.

"It's dark outside, but all I hear is tweet, tweet, tweet."
-AvidReaderPK
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

The colonies were before the time of the worker's union which increaesd the cost of labor. The U.S. is also a "union", but not solely a workers union. I think it's sometimes considered to be a trade union, but a different trade union anyway....:smileyvery-happy:

Chad