Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt
0 Kudos

B&N Members: Buy Your Paperbacks At The Store

[ Edited ]

In case you haven't noticed the price of paperbacks has risen over the last year or so from $6.99 to $7.99. Further, there are no longer pre-order discounts on the vast majority of paperbacks ordered on-line prior to release. Moreover, it has recently come to my attention that the B&N membership discount is not applicable to any book purchases made on-line. (Supposedly the reasoning is that the on-line book price is lower than the book price in the stores. I think that this may be so for hardbacks, but it's not applicable when it comes to paperbacks.)

What this all boils down to is that a paperback is going to cost you $7.99, even if you pre-order it and even if you're a B&N memberBut, the 10% membership discount is still applicable to book purchases made in B&N stores.

So, all you B&N members out there, buy your paperbacks at the store. It's the only way you'll get any discount.  

New User
Trooper2012
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Members: Buy Your Paperbacks At The Store

Why doesn't the discount membership work online?  I thought you got the discount any time you purchased from any Barnes & Noble.

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Trooper2012 wrote:

Why doesn't the discount membership work online?  I thought you got the discount any time you purchased from any Barnes & Noble.

There are no membership discounts on-line with the exception of the ability to receive free shipping no matter how small the order. In other words, there's no $25 minimum to get free regular shipping for B&N members.

But, if you buy at the store the B&N membership discounts apply! Unfortunately, hardback prices are usually better on-line--even for bestsellers. But a regular paperback is cheaper for members at the store! So, if you buy a lot of paperbacks, it pays to buy them at your local B&N.

Although I missed the e-mail B&N sent out explaining the above modification to the membership benefits, as I understand it B&N's explanation stressed that the modification was being made in order to offer the lowest prices to its on-line customers. (IMO its all about competing on-line with Amazon sirrespective of B&N's longtime members.) Paperbacks have gone up to an average price of $7.99. If you buy them at the store, you get 10% off for each. That adds up to a small but appreciable savings if you're buying a lot of paperbacks.

P.S. I'm still a stone age reader who prefers paper books as opposed to e-books. But if you're an e-book reader be advised that the B&N membership benefits don't apply at all! Apparently, e-books have their own set of rules that disallow such discounts. If you want to know more about the lack of membership benefits as regards e-books, look on the threads dedicate to nookbooks.

New User
lise23
0 Kudos

i always order paper backs online and it takes my discount

dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

All I can say is next time you order only paperbacks on-line, check your final order. I guarantee you won't find 10% removed from your order.

The only B&N Membership benefit that still applies to on-line purchases is free regular shipping regardless of the size of the order.  (There's no $25.00 minimum for B&N members.) Ergo, it's cheaper for B&N members to buy their paperbacks in the store. (Note, by comparing book pricing in the store and on-line, I've notice that it's almost always cheaper to buy hardcovers on-line.)

B&N has made a new modification to the membership benefits that discontinues the 20% Adult Hardcover discount for in-store purchases. If you are a current B&N member, the 20% in-store discount will not be taken away until your membership is up for renewal. For new members joining on or after 6/6/11, the change becomes immediate. (See B&N Membership terms changing again on the Community Room board.)

As regards in-store book purchases, the following in-store discounts still apply:

• 40% off Adult Hardcover Bestsellers.

• 10% off all books (paperbacks and non-bestseller hardcovers) not reduced for sale.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Well, instore it's actually still 10% off just about everything, including sale items and the coffee shop.  And that 40% on the adult hardcover bestsellers, which I never buy, anyway.

The quote from the message is:

• 10% off the Barnes & Noble sale price of other eligible items. Includes adult hardcover books, already discounted items, Bargain books, music, movies, Café and almost everything else.

Also I believe that the free shipping is the express shipping, not just regular.  I still use regular, because I prefer to have it delivered by USPS instead of UPS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dalnewt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's funny, but I haven't noticed the 'express' portion of the free shipping I'm supposedly getting when I order on-line.:smileytongue: Maybe I should always choose free regular shipping. I ordered a hardcover released on June 7 from B&N on that date, (so I could utilize a 15% coupon). My order wasn't even processed until June 9, and since then there's been no action on it. It's still sitting in NJ.

Note, since I buy a lot of paperbacks, the in-store shopping has really paid off for me. Also note, that I bought a clearance hardcover mystery at a fantastic price in the store, but the 10% discount didn't apply. Ergo, the in-store 10% discount doesn't apply to all sale books. Specifically, it doesn't apply to books on clearance sale.