Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: Caroline Kennedy thwarted again

Everyman wrote:

But aside from that, there doesn't seem to be much here to generate interest in this other than, "Ha-ha!"

The interest to me was to see that Caroline Kennedy, who up to now has, as far as I know, studiously avoided getting directly involved in politics or seeking any political office, has apparently changed that view and is now apparently actively looking for ways to get involved in political life not through nonprofit work but by holding a political position.  She has now specifically sought one (Senate), and apparently been interested in another (ambassador; I can't imagine that he name would have been mentioned if she hadn't expressed interest, whether initiated by her or by others).

So that really is the interest for me, watching to see whether she will make another attempt to seek a political position, and if so what.  

Of course, if you don't care whether or not she ever tries for another political office, then I agree, it's a nothing.  But for those who like to keep track of people who are trying to break into politics, particularly those who have studiously avoided it most of their lives, it's interesting to watch.  

Edit:  and some people like the prestige of being Mr. or Madam Ambassador. Sort of like the knighthoods that England offers -- some people like being formally a Sir or Lady (or Dame, I'm not an expert in those titles.)  

Message Edited by Everyman on 04-16-2009 02:15 PM

If that is something that interests you, sure there a can be a discussion about why she might want public office now, or a discussion about the relationship of the Vatican and the US. But your headline and post basically are a ha-ha. I disagree that it is anger and certainly I don't think there is much fact only speculation. But it isn't giving the idea of one who wants to discuss an issue.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

my comment is not an opening to a discussion....... its just a comment...its howI felt when I read the post..Period. Following the news about Caroline and her life is quite American.Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Who were you talking to in your earlier comment? You said "you". But you never quote the post so I don't know who you are referring to.

But any post is open for discussion.

Vermontcozy wrote:

my comment is not an opening to a discussion....... its just a comment...its howI felt when I read the post..Period. Following the news about Caroline and her life is quite American.Vtc

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Vatican Ambassadors do matter.

You have hit the nail on the head here P!  The growth and influence of the catholic church should not be underestimated in any country, given its stance on several controversial issues.  In the UK catholics are one of our largest political lobbies and can, if they so wish, influence the outcome of any proposed legislation. I expect that this is the same in the US and for that reason ambassadors to the Vatican should be of interest to anyone following certain political policies.  Whether, for instance, they are hard line catholics who would toe the Vatican line or whether they would be prepared to argue against it, would certainly be of interest to me. 

The celebrity status of an appointee only matters if the high profile of that status helps to put over a government's views.  Tony & Cherie Blair recently attacked the Vatican about its views on homosexuality and Cherie Blair has spoken out on the AIDS/condom issue.   Their lobbying may or may not have influenced Vatican views but they probably had more impact than the views of Joe Bloggs.  President Obama may seek to put in place a high profile candidate to argue about issues close to Democratic hearts.  Finding one that will be acceptable to the Vatican will be tricky but it can be done.  The Vatican may reject a candidate but in the long run they have to accept whoever a government appoints and their views will attract publicity if they are controversial. 

For example, the homosexual marriage issue seems to be one of moment in the US at present and President Obama may wish to court the votes of those who are favouring it.  The appointment of a US catholic who is sympathetic to homosexual marriage may not please the Pope but it may please a large number of Democrat voters.    

Sorry Monty, but I think you are missing the point here.  The fact that there has already been a lot of publicity surrounding the supposed rejection of Caroline Kennedy will have sent signals to the Obama administration. Whether or not he now caves in and appoints a more hard line catholic has yet to be seen. 

Peppermill wrote:

Well, the overall thread title may be a bit limiting, but given the growth of the Catholic Church in Africa right now -- with all Africa's issues of poverty and AIDS along with governmental instability and third world economic status, with the issues of population growth relative to sustainability of the earth, with the international issues on the status of women, and with the Pope's expressed interests in the state of religion in Europe, I do find the relationship of our government to the Vatican of at least passing interest.  I had not been aware of the three ambassadorships that had been floated nor the response to them.

I have not gone looking for information, but I am curious about the decision to offer Obama an honorary degree at Notre Dame. Did this "just happen" out of some rather routine bureaucratic process, or were some university leaders and supporters laying out a (quiet?) challenge to the Church universal and to their fellow American church leaders?

Yet, I do agree that the proliferation of threads here on the Current Events board does make this, for me at least, a difficult board in which to sustain interest and participation.

L_Monty wrote:

I have friends who are devoted Catholics, who obsessively follow the likely appointments to archbishoprics and whatnot with all the fervor of a sabermetric geek watching the hot stove league in preparation for this year's fantasy baseball season, and while I imagine they would be concerned with our ambassador to the Vatican, I struggle to imagine anyone else who'd care about it in the slightest.

It's interesting pretty much only if you have a vested interest in Caroline Kennedy, in which case the topic is whatever outlook you're already bringing to the news, not the news itself. If you think Caroline Kennedy is a big dumb celebrity liberal airhead — this isn't singling anyone out, BTW, give me until the end of this post at least — I imagine this news is fun or interesting. It's schadenfreude. Hey, ho, it's a Kennedy child: wind it up and watch it fail.

By the same token, though, I'd feel the same way if the topic were, "Rush Limbaugh Doesn't Win Award [That Nobody Cares About]." Hey, ho, Rush is a big fat hypocritical ex-druggie: he didn't get something that would have been nice for him to get but that makes absolutely zero difference to me, but I'm going to enjoy his loss because he's a fatty jerko! Wheeeeeeeee.

That said, if I'd wanted to talk about how his loss in an award competition signaled a political decision that really shouldn't have influenced the process, that'd be great. Ditto if we think Caroline would have appreciably harmed American interests by lobbying within the Vatican for greater liberalization within the church (or helped it by doing the same). But aside from that, there doesn't seem to be much here to generate interest in this other than, "Ha-ha!