Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Xmas present from President Obama.

It looks as if President Obama will be giving some Xmas presents to the world this week:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

He can pledge support to give that much money, but where will he get it?  Will Congress back him up? I predict yet another nosedive for his popularity polls here -- yet, how can he do otherwise?  I really feel for the man.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Surely he won't have pledged it if he thought he couldn't give it Psychee - that would put America in a very bad light.  Governments can always find money from somewhere - that is why they are always able to fight wars!

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

You might pay very close attention to the words he uses in that speech, Choisya, and get back to us on it, as I'm fairly certain that Congress has not yet approved (the majority of) those funds.

Maybe he is counting on just what you say -- that to pledge something and not deliver it would make the US look bad, so those in favor of making the US look good would support it.

But that's not everybody.  The Republicans would love to see him wear egg on his face, I'm afraid, and everybody here is concerned about the high price tag that we have had to pay for so many things in so short a time.  Trust me, this is going to be another huge hurdle for Obama to have to contend with.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

All of the developed nations have faced the same economic problems and all are having trouble with their opposition parties and citizens about committing money for these climate change proposals Psychee.  So far nothing much has been committed until 2020 so it remains to be seen just how much will be spent to avert the catastrophes already facing countries like the Maldives and Bangladesh.  Obama and other Western leaders are now being pressed to commit more before 2020.  

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't think he could have done more at this time, not with his health care program looking to be an utter failure at this point...  he's already earmarked a nice chunk of the TARP monies to green energy development, hoping to get folks back to work that way (two birds for the price of one).  He definitely cares about the issues -- he's just got his hands tied right now. 

And frankly, (referring to the article you linked) when the US offers $10 billion, someone ought to say "thank you" instead of acting like all he offered was a penny.  The man can't win, no matter what he does!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Yeah I'm going to treat it just like Kennedy's "we choose to go to the moon!" speech. We found away.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

The money so far promised by everyone is not yet legally binding and is unlikely to be, the way things are going:smileysad:.  The £$10b is reportedly 1/6th of the US defence budget.  I think we can expect the leaders of smaller, poorer nations, facing huge problems with the climate change requirements we are thrusting upon them, to be less than polite about the crumbs we are throwing from our tables.  And of course, as with the Republicans, there is a political bias in some of the statements, which are made for media consumption by leaders of left wing countries who see America from a Marxist standpoint.   As you say, he can't win - any more than Gordon Brown can.      

I was disappointed with President Obama's speech and thought it sounded very off-the-cuff and rushed - the worst I have ever heard him speak:smileysad:.  Better oratory there might have got him better press.  I was reminded of the earlier Scrooge and hoped that he would mend his ways so that we could have a happy ending:smileyhappy:.  

I am left wondering whether the economic times in which this conference was held was not propitious anyway and that there could never have been a good outcome:smileysad:.   Perhaps another one will be called in a few years time when the devloping nations are out of this current, all enveloping recession.   

New User
lann53
0 Kudos

Obama need the folks's tax payments and think they are not forthcoming right now.

There is still time for him to prove himself and no need to wast money USA does not have.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hundreds gather to protest Global Warming....

Snowmen

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This BBC radio broadcast is a very interesting short summary of the climate change arguments on both sides of the Pond.