Reply
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008

Earth Hour

[ Edited ]
Did anyone participate in this? I did, it was nice to have the lights off, only used candles and the tv was off. I am usually pretty good about my electric use anyway, except for the computer, lol. I didn't really notice others on my street participating, too bad. 
Message Edited by debbook on 03-28-2009 10:26 PM
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
Posts: 730
Registered: ‎01-26-2008

Re: Earth Hour


debbook wrote:
Did anyone participate in this? I did, it was nice to have the lights off, only used candles and the tv was off. I am usually pretty good about my electric use anyway, except for the computer, lol. I didn't really notice others on my street participating, too bad. 
Message Edited by debbook on 03-28-2009 10:26 PM

Yes, I did and so did most of my neighborhood.  It was really nice.  We sat out in the front yard and visited with our neighbors...The weather was warm and I enjoyed it a lot.  

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour

That sounds very nice. I think there should be an Earth hour more than once  year. Of course I can have my own anytime I want. Mybe I'll do them myself, weekly.

When did you become a wordsmith? Don't forget to go to The Kingdom to get your title from King Ryan:smileywink:


blkeyesuzi wrote:

debbook wrote:
Did anyone participate in this? I did, it was nice to have the lights off, only used candles and the tv was off. I am usually pretty good about my electric use anyway, except for the computer, lol. I didn't really notice others on my street participating, too bad. 
Message Edited by debbook on 03-28-2009 10:26 PM

Yes, I did and so did most of my neighborhood.  It was really nice.  We sat out in the front yard and visited with our neighbors...The weather was warm and I enjoyed it a lot.  


 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour

Yes, my 'ecological' daughter phoned the family and we all participated.  I sat in candlelight and sewed some loose buttons on a jacket - it reminded me of wartime blackouts!  

 


debbook wrote:
Did anyone participate in this? I did, it was nice to have the lights off, only used candles and the tv was off. I am usually pretty good about my electric use anyway, except for the computer, lol. I didn't really notice others on my street participating, too bad. 
Message Edited by debbook on 03-28-2009 10:26 PM

 

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
Posts: 730
Registered: ‎01-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour


debbook wrote:

That sounds very nice. I think there should be an Earth hour more than once  year. Of course I can have my own anytime I want. Mybe I'll do them myself, weekly.

When did you become a wordsmith? Don't forget to go to The Kingdom to get your title from King Ryan:smileywink:



My oh my! I've been promoted!  I'll go over to Wordsmithonia and do that right now!  LOL

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Blogger
L_Monty
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎12-30-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour

[ Edited ]

blkeyesuzi wrote:
Yes, I did and so did most of my neighborhood.  It was really nice.  We sat out in the front yard and visited with our neighbors...The weather was warm and I enjoyed it a lot.  

 



Welcome to the CE board, Suzi. I haven't seen you post here before, so I thought I'd say that and encourage you to come back soon. [Edit: my mistake, I just remembered that you'd posted here before about birth control and stem cells, right?]

I missed out on this, but I think I coincidentally was part of it anyway. I was out the door today without looking at the newspaper and came back to sink into a project I've been working on. Because the weather's been so fantastic, I had the A/C off and all the windows open and was sitting outside only with the laptop and a small lamp that has a low-energy bulb in it. Everything else in the house was dark, as the wife was visiting friends.

I can't really say whether my neighbors participated. For one, the economic collapse basically annihilated the Ponzi scheme that was Florida real estate and left some houses on my block dark and unoccupied anyway. For another, it was a Saturday night, and I'm certain some neighbors were out having fun anyway. I do know that another neighbor had his house dark and was having a fire in the backyard with some friends, because I waved "Hi" over the fence and dug their salsa music.

Other than that, pretty uneventful. I wish I'd known more about this in advance. I think the promotion of it was sadly lacking.

Okay, back to project work. Arrrgh.
Message Edited by L_Monty on 03-29-2009 04:09 AM
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour

Well, it appears to have been a success:smileyhappy:  You could mark your calendar now for 27/28th March 2010!

 

 

 


L_Monty wrote:

blkeyesuzi wrote:
Yes, I did and so did most of my neighborhood.  It was really nice.  We sat out in the front yard and visited with our neighbors...The weather was warm and I enjoyed it a lot.  

 



Welcome to the CE board, Suzi. I haven't seen you post here before, so I thought I'd say that and encourage you to come back soon. [Edit: my mistake, I just remembered that you'd posted here before about birth control and stem cells, right?]

I missed out on this, but I think I coincidentally was part of it anyway. I was out the door today without looking at the newspaper and came back to sink into a project I've been working on. Because the weather's been so fantastic, I had the A/C off and all the windows open and was sitting outside only with the laptop and a small lamp that has a low-energy bulb in it. Everything else in the house was dark, as the wife was visiting friends.

I can't really say whether my neighbors participated. For one, the economic collapse basically annihilated the Ponzi scheme that was Florida real estate and left some houses on my block dark and unoccupied anyway. For another, it was a Saturday night, and I'm certain some neighbors were out having fun anyway. I do know that another neighbor had his house dark and was having a fire in the backyard with some friends, because I waved "Hi" over the fence and dug their salsa music.

Other than that, pretty uneventful. I wish I'd known more about this in advance. I think the promotion of it was sadly lacking.

Okay, back to project work. Arrrgh.
Message Edited by L_Monty on 03-29-2009 04:09 AM

 

Blogger
L_Monty
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎12-30-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour


Choisya wrote:
Well, it appears to have been a success:smileyhappy:  You could mark your calendar now for 27/28th March 2010!

 



It also appears that some people were so worried about this event succeeding—I'm not really sure why—that they did their damnedest to offset it pointlessly. Scroll down to the comments for stuff like this:
keaponlaffin Sunday, March 29th at 4:17AM EDT (link)

The outside lights are always on. As a courtesy to possible criminals. They need light to see the NRA sticker on the window and the shiny Beware of Dog sign on the door. It’s for their own safety really.
I did not go on a nice drive. I out-sourced that. Ordered delivery. Twice.
Various indoor lights are always burning. Not just for Earth Hour, but all night, every night. It’s not cool to wakeup a 100 lbs pitt bull by tripping over him in the dark.
Both computers are of course running. 24/7/365. And not idling. I got em both working on something, always. More CPU cycles = more electricity.
All my power comes from coal powerplants.
During Earth Hour I smoked many ciggies(CARBON!) and drank much beer. In aluminum cans, which I will not recycle.
(There is a Mrs PotatoHead Lady in my neighborhood who does that, and who am I to take away her livelihood?)
I used many plastic(OIL!) garbage bags for the beer cans.
The beer is not ‘organic’ so I imagine alot of petroleum(OIL!) based fertilizers and pesticides(POISON!) were used in the growth of the ingredients.
I’m pretty sure the Chinese food had MSG in it. The eggrolls were fried in TransFat.
The sammiches I got delivered contained a wide variety of dead animals. Also not ‘organic’.

Umm..so my digestion isn’t exactly top notch right now so just lemmie say METHANE!

I'd say it was just a troll, but I've been reading RedState too long.
New User
Menexis
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour

I agree with others here that there should be more than one earth hour a year. Why not dedicate an either month? Why not a week? Imagine how much that will do for the planet.

I know this is sort of stretching it as other cannot go too long without power due to various reasons.

But aren't you guys curious as to who made the decision to have an earth hour. Who is responsible because I know the government is not. Perhaps the media made the decision to have it once a year.

 

 

 

 

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
Posts: 730
Registered: ‎01-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour


Menexis wrote:

I agree with others here that there should be more than one earth hour a year. Why not dedicate an either month? Why not a week? Imagine how much that will do for the planet.

I know this is sort of stretching it as other cannot go too long without power due to various reasons.

But aren't you guys curious as to who made the decision to have an earth hour. Who is responsible because I know the government is not. Perhaps the media made the decision to have it once a year.

 

 

 

 


Great point!  I'd be up for another Earth Hour..or more!

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour

Hi Menexis!

 

Perhaps just having more Earth Hours throughout the year would be easier to achieve, rather than a week or a month?

 

The idea was started by the World Wildlife Fund in Sydney, Australia in 2007. 

 

 

 


Menexis wrote:

I agree with others here that there should be more than one earth hour a year. Why not dedicate an either month? Why not a week? Imagine how much that will do for the planet.

I know this is sort of stretching it as other cannot go too long without power due to various reasons.

But aren't you guys curious as to who made the decision to have an earth hour. Who is responsible because I know the government is not. Perhaps the media made the decision to have it once a year.

 

 

 

 


 

New User
Menexis
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎04-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour

[ Edited ]

But how can we make this happen, to have several earth hours throughout the year?
The first time I heard about earth hour was last year when we did it but it seem like it was more of a media driven decision to have one hour.

 

If people are up for it, we can research what we need to do to have more than one earth hour per year.

I'm in LA and I can stand on the street corner for a few hours on the weekend to collect signatures, etc

 

Anyone else has any clue how to go about doing this?

 

how do we contact the World Wildlife Fund in Sydney, Australia to get on board?

 

 

 

 

 

Message Edited by Menexis on 04-04-2009 09:14 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Earth Hour


Menexis wrote:

But how can we make this happen, to have several earth hours throughout the year?
The first time I heard about earth hour was last year when we did it but it seem like it was more of a media driven decision to have one hour.

 

If people are up for it, we can research what we need to do to have more than one earth hour per year.

I'm in LA and I can stand on the street corner for a few hours on the weekend to collect signatures, etc

 

Anyone else has any clue how to go about doing this?

 

how do we contact the World Wildlife Fund in Sydney, Australia to get on board?



Try Googling the World Wildlife Fund and see if there is a contact method included on their website would be one way to start.

 

Good luck!

 

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Earth Hour?

In the meantime, perhaps we could have a B&N Bookclub Earth Hour once a month?   I don't know enough about your time zones to suggest a time but we could make it, say, the 1st of the month?  Perhaps Jon could make an 'official' announcement?  Is there a time, for instance, when B&N close for site maintenance so that we wouldn't interrupt our club/book browsing?

 

 


Peppermill wrote:

Menexis wrote:

But how can we make this happen, to have several earth hours throughout the year?
The first time I heard about earth hour was last year when we did it but it seem like it was more of a media driven decision to have one hour.

 

If people are up for it, we can research what we need to do to have more than one earth hour per year.

I'm in LA and I can stand on the street corner for a few hours on the weekend to collect signatures, etc

 

Anyone else has any clue how to go about doing this?

 

how do we contact the World Wildlife Fund in Sydney, Australia to get on board?



Try Googling the World Wildlife Fund and see if there is a contact method included on their website would be one way to start.

 

Good luck!

 

Pepper


 

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: B&N Earth Hour?


Choisya wrote:

Is there a time, for instance, when B&N close for site maintenance so that we wouldn't interrupt our club/book browsing?


 

We occassionally shut down the boards for maintenance, but that's almost always scheduled at about 3am eastern time and there aren't very many people on here at that hour anyway.  

 

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!