Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Financial Turmoil evokes familiar responses

Jon_B wrote:

No adult needs one either but I rather doubt that Bill's reasons have much to do with that.

In my teens adults were telling their kids that they didn't need a car! Times they have a-changed:smileyhappy:.  I took my grandchildren to the Darwin Exhibition at the Natural History Museum in London last Monday and whilst there told them that I thought that a legless generation would soon evolve because modern children walk so little:smileysurprised:.  Their response was typical:  'but Nana, people would need legs to get to their cars!!'

Everyman wrote:

And if the kids of the richest man in the world walk around with Zunes, maybe pretty soon they'll become the cool in product. 

Actually, the reality is that no kid really needs any portable music player.  That's purely a want, not a need.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You deleted my comment that perhaps the most poignant of all was Bill's own wistfulness for himself!

But, I suspect Microsoft itself has bought a handful and torn them apart in its Labs.  Gates is a savvy competitor as well as a good Dad. 

Everyman wrote:

I admire Gates for not giving in to the standard teenage plaint "I need this gadget/jacket/pair of shoes/CD/whatever to be as cool as my friends."  If more parents said "I'll provide you everything you need, but not everything you want" we would have a healthier younger generation.    You may question his motives, but I admire his holding the line somewhere.  There are plenty of fine music players out there that aren't Ipods; there are plenty of cell phones that aren't I-phones.  It's not as though he's depriving his kids of anything they reasonably need; he's teaching them that you don't need to follow the fad to be a great person. 

Way to go, Bill.  

Peppermill wrote:

A cute clip is in the current Vogue, however, about both Bill Gates and his kids being denied by his decree certain attractive and enticing Apple products, e.g., I-pods or I-phones!  Can you imagine being the child of one of the richest men on the earth and being told you can't have the absolute favorite gadget of most of your friends? 

Message Edited by Peppermill on 02-26-2009 12:51 PM
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

The company doesn't learn anything meaningful by having its board of directors buy competitive products instead of buying the company's own products.

I don't agree that this is necessarily so.  Executives can isolate themselves and get out of touch with the world around them.  Using competitive products can be useful, although I do agree with points about being role models and about contributing to the sales of the corporation.

(I've seen cases where some absolutely stupid design decisions could have been averted if executives had been less isolated.)

As in so many things, balance is appropriate.

Everyman wrote:

Executives need to know the competition well enough to make intelligent decisions relative thereto.  Depending on the products, the markets, the distribution channels, et al, that can mean all sorts of different levels of investment, from the trivial to the very significant.

Absolutely.  And the way a car company does this is by having their engineering and design departments buy a few of the cars and have professional drivers evaluate their handling and peformance and tear them down and reverse engineer them and use what they learn to improve the company's own products.   

The company doesn't learn anything meaningful by having its board of directors buy competitive products instead of buying the company's own products.  That just shows a lack of confidence in what the company makes. 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Do you really think that these people who are now in change of overseeing the auto industry are really having their wives and children drive foreign cars because they want to keep in touch with the world around them?   It's pretty easy to learn all you need to know about foreign cars by reading Consumer Reports and auto magazines and test driving them, or renting them to drive around for a week.   I think buying them for the car you and your family drive around regularly is a whole different thing from the market research you're talking about. 

Peppermill wrote:

The company doesn't learn anything meaningful by having its board of directors buy competitive products instead of buying the company's own products.

I don't agree that this is necessarily so.  Executives can isolate themselves and get out of touch with the world around them.  Using competitive products can be useful, although I do agree with points about being role models and about contributing to the sales of the corporation.

(I've seen cases where some absolutely stupid design decisions could have been averted if executives had been less isolated.)

As in so many things, balance is appropriate.

Everyman wrote:

Executives need to know the competition well enough to make intelligent decisions relative thereto.  Depending on the products, the markets, the distribution channels, et al, that can mean all sorts of different levels of investment, from the trivial to the very significant.

Absolutely.  And the way a car company does this is by having their engineering and design departments buy a few of the cars and have professional drivers evaluate their handling and peformance and tear them down and reverse engineer them and use what they learn to improve the company's own products.   

The company doesn't learn anything meaningful by having its board of directors buy competitive products instead of buying the company's own products.  That just shows a lack of confidence in what the company makes. 

0 Kudos

Re: Economic Stimulus

If you want $620, but you've already found someone who will give you $600, why don't you just take the $600. Surely all the hassle you will need to go through to find someone who will buy it for $620 can't possibly be worth the extra $20! Gold Buying Events.