Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
jessicaabruno
0 Kudos

Expecting Better, Emily Oster

[ Edited ]

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/pregnant-and-disputing-the-doctor/?smid=pl-share

Expecting Better  Heres another article (Pregnant, and Disputing the Doctor:  After having a child, Emily Oster wrote “Expecting Better,” a book that challenges the conventional wisdom on pregnancy) that I have found awhile back.  I mean the day it came it out.  I'm currently in the midst of reading this particular book.  Its not like what the reviewer thinks it is.  Well, at least not in the intro and 1st part of it, but the rest of it.  But at the same time I have found that it was lacking certain areas.  Like beyond basic conception, elective c-sections, freestanding birth centers, parenting, and maybe others.  In which I highly the other book that I'm in the midst of reading Parenting Without Borders:  Surprising Lessons Parents Around the World Can Teach Us, Christine Gross-Loh.  Again, this is like a book that I have read earlier this summer, The Business of Baby: What Doctors Don’t Tell You,  What Corporations Try to Sell You,  and How Put Your Pregnancy,  Childbirth,  and Baby Before Their Bottom Line, Jennifer Margulis.  At the same time have mentioned as well.  In which both of these books and their authors like another book that I have read Homeward Bound:  Why Women are Embracing the New Domesticity, Emily Matchar.  Have also mentioned this book.

Think thats it for now.

Thank you, again, in advance.

Jessica A Bruno

Jessica A Bruno (waybeyondfedup)
Frequent Contributor
jessicaabruno
0 Kudos

Re: Expecting Better, Emily Oster

Back with even more observations of the book and its author Ms Oster.  I totally forgot mentioned about postpartum aka fourth trimester, not labor and delivery.  At least as I know of from my previous learning and researching regarding all of this.  Have found that I have a love and hate relationship with both the book and her.   I for one really prefer both Jennifer Margulis, Sarah J Buckley, their books Business of Baby, Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering.  Over her, Annie Murphy Paul, Randi Hutter Epstein, their books Origins, Get Me Out.  At the same time heres some authors Jennifer Block, Tina Cassidy, Martha Brockenbrough, their books Pushed, Birth, It Could Happen to You!.  In which I have a love and hate relationship with them and their books.  This also applies all other mainstream authors and their books that are out there. I really prefer alternative ones more then anything else or at least mixed of both alternative and mainstream ones.

Think thats it for now.

Thank you, again, in advance.

Jessica

Frequent Contributor
jessicaabruno
0 Kudos

Re: Expecting Better, Emily Oster

Hospitals allowing new moms drive themselves and their new babies/companions home

Mean for the uncomplicated ones as opposed to more complicated ones. At the same time as anyone here heard/read/whatever else about this.

This is the 1st time that I have read about something like this in a book that I recently read (Expecting Better, Emily Oster) in which Ms Oster was allowed to this. Whom had uncomplicated labor/delivery/recovery/postpartum with her 1st child (daughter's one). I for one would rather see these kind of moms give birth properly (at home/freestanding birth center with midwife/ives, maybe doula/s) as opposed to improperly (at hospital with doctor/s, nurse/s, tech/s, maybe other/s).