Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
debbook

Go Iowa!!!

Another state legalizes gay marriage!!! Which state will be next?
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook

Re: Go Iowa!!!

I didn't see that you had already posted this on another thread, Ryan. But hey, this news deserves it's own thread.

Is Vermont next, Vtc? I wish it would be NY, we need to take a stand.

FYI, though I am in favor of equal rights, I have no desire to ever go to a wedding again. If these laws result in an increase in wedding invitations to me, I may have to rethink my position:smileyvery-happy: Perhaps I will rally for a ban on all marriages and especially bridal showers!

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

Isn't that great? :smileyhappy:  I'm very proud to be an Iowan today; here's the link to the Varnum vs. Brien documents and rulings on the Iowa Supreme Court website.

There're a couple state senators who are making noise about putting a Consitutional Amendment banning gay-marriage through the state legislature...boo.  What haters.

debbook wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

We made the front page of the NYTimes, too!

(unfortunately, good news is overshadowed by sadness for the shooting the immigration center in Binghamton, NY)

pedsphleb wrote:

Isn't that great? :smileyhappy:  I'm very proud to be an Iowan today; here's the link to the Varnum vs. Brien documents and rulings on the Iowa Supreme Court website.

There're a couple state senators who are making noise about putting a Consitutional Amendment banning gay-marriage through the state legislature...boo.  What haters.

debbook wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Deb,

You are most right.  This did deserve it's own thread, so thank you.  I also want to thank all the straight Americans who are on our side in this.  It means a lot to me hear.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya

Hooray!  Perhaps the tide is turning under Obama and the right-wing bias which prevailed under Bush is diminishing? 

debbook wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Perhaps I will rally for a ban on all marriages and especially bridal showers!

I'll be with you Debs!  I particulaly abhor the huge amount of money which is spent on white weddings and I told both my daughters when they were very young that I would not contribute to such extravagance.  Two of my four children were married by civil ceremonies  and two are cohabitating.  The two who were 'properly' married are now divorced, the two that cohabit are still together after 20+ years.   

debbook wrote:

I didn't see that you had already posted this on another thread, Ryan. But hey, this news deserves it's own thread.

Is Vermont next, Vtc? I wish it would be NY, we need to take a stand.

FYI, though I am in favor of equal rights, I have no desire to ever go to a wedding again. If these laws result in an increase in wedding invitations to me, I may have to rethink my position:smileyvery-happy: Perhaps I will rally for a ban on all marriages and especially bridal showers!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

In Related News From Iowa

[ Edited ]
Edit: Moved this from the Prop 8 thread to keep all discussion on the ISC ruling in one place, but for some reason it tacked the oldest messages onto the end of the thread. Odd. Sorry for any confusion.
— M. 

I saw this on CNN today so I thought I would share the good news, well to me it is.

Iowa high court strikes down same-sex marriage ban

Message Edited by L_Monty on 04-05-2009 12:40 PM
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Re: In Related News From Iowa

Ryan_G wrote:

I saw this on CNN today so I thought I would share the good news, well to me it is.

It's also unanimous. I'm interested to see how this gets spun, since the supposedly "San Francisco"-values dominated California court's activist judges had only a 4-3 ruling.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: In Related News From Iowa

Good news indeed Ryan!:smileyhappy:   Do you think that the election of a more liberal President will help more liberal (and humane) decisions like this to be taken?  

Ryan_G wrote: