Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
2noelle
0 Kudos

Re: Huckleberry Finn: Removal of the "N-Word"

As much as I deplore the "N" word, I think it's appropriate for the times for which it was written...it simply wouldn't be believable to replace the word with something that's more politically correct for today's audience.  How then would anyone know how far things have come since those times, albeit, not far enough.

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

Whoever said that books have to be nice except book burners.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Of possible interest. I saw an interview with the owner/publisher of the edited Huck Finn. He's promised to not release the book what so ever in areas where the book wasn't already banned form schools due to it's use of the N-word. His mission is that it's better some version of the book gets to those kids than no version, even if he does personally prefer the unedited.

Even he finds unpleasant elements within changing Twain's language use.

Frequent Contributor
carusmm

TiggerBear wrote:

Of possible interest. I saw an interview with the owner/publisher of the edited Huck Finn. He's promised to not release the book what so ever in areas where the book wasn't already banned form schools due to it's use of the N-word. His mission is that it's better some version of the book gets to those kids than no version, even if he does personally prefer the unedited.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

carusmm wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Yes true enough.

KathyS
0 Kudos

carusmm wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Open mindedness?

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Open mindedness?

No.

KathyS
0 Kudos

carusmm wrote:

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Open mindedness?

No.

Cut off your nose, to spite your face.

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Open mindedness?

No.

No, I am open-minded about most things but I will never tolerate petty bureaucracy.

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

carusmm wrote:

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Open mindedness?

No.

No, I am open-minded about most things but I will never tolerate petty bureaucracy.

"Modesty is not a virtue," saith Aristotle.

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

carusmm wrote:

carusmm wrote:

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Open mindedness?

No.

The Good is that which is harder.  Mark Twain tried for a  temperance.in language beyond him; he was an impassioned compassionate man.

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

carusmm wrote:

carusmm wrote:

carusmm wrote:

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Open mindedness?

No.

The Good is that which is harder.  Mark Twain tried for a  temperance.in language beyond him; he was an impassioned compassionate man.

Anger is hard to dissuade and pleasure is even harder.  In regard to race, Mark Twain, motivated by anger, took pleasure in showing white people up for what they were.  To disregard the intent of an author is typical of yokels, and I expect better from the French.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Sarcasm wrote:

carusmm wrote:

carusmm wrote:

carusmm wrote:

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

KathyS wrote:

carusmm wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Open mindedness?

No.

Anger is hard to dissuade and pleasure is even harder.  In regard to race, Mark Twain, motivated by anger, took pleasure in showing white people up for what they were.  To disregard the intent of an author is typical of yokels, and I expect better from the French.

Please excuse me, carusmm, I'm not up to these euphemisms, and quotes. 

I know who Samuel Clemens was.  As a writer of fiction, his life took on the role of fiction in the process....intent, or not...who was he, we ask...not many people knew. He was a man who denounced his God and everyone in the process....taking his real life into that of Mark Twain's.  A caricature...of a sad and lonely man, who dressed in white, and lived with, and for, death.  I value his writing, not the man who sits on this make-believe/fictional pedestal.  I value the opinions of other's who choose to publish what they will, whether I agree, or not...this publication becomes a choice for all, to read or not to read, I honestly don't care.

As far as this subject of the N word, I've written all that I have to write on this subject further down in this thread, and on Ellen's blog, where conversation looked at this subject at every turn.  This isn't petty, and it isn't a bureaucracy you're dealing with, it's human nature; living and breathing humans who feel.  And the choice belongs to all of us, now, to accept this N word or not in his writing. 

That's it for me.  Have a great day, and happy reading, whatever your choices may be.

Kathy

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

Mark Twain did denounce his god but not before He proved cruel first.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Hey, just read the book

[ Edited ]

I made a stop for "Huckleberry Finn" on my literature tour. But if you read Huckleberry Finn, then you might a discover a part where he places a tall tree in juxtaposition with a "church steeple." The American frontier was this wonderful line between civilization and nature- well, alright maybe not so wonderful. But "civilization" for many small midwest towns was the church-that is, the church was often the center of town and the tallest building. So if I, like Huck Finn and probably Mark Twain, rejected everything that civilization was in the late 1800's, which was corrupt, perverse, unfree and so on, then I would also have to reject the church by proxy -not that Twain or Huck Finn was an atheist or an agnostic necessarily.....:smileywink:

Chad  

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

Re: Hey, just read the book

chad wrote:

I made a stop for "Huckleberry Finn" on my literature tour. But if you read Huckleberry Finn, then you might a discover a part where he places a tall tree in juxtaposition with a "church steeple." The American frontier was this wonderful line between civilization and nature- well, alright maybe not so wonderful. But "civilization" for many small midwest towns was the church-that is, the church was often the center of town and the tallest building. So if I, like Huck Finn and probably Mark Twain, rejected everything that civilization was in the late 1800's, which was corrupt, perverse, unfree and so on, then I would also have to reject the church by proxy -not that Twain or Huck Finn was an atheist or an agnostic necessarily.....:smileywink:

Chad  

Twain was a lifelong skeptic.

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

Mark Twain charged with racism?

[ Edited ]

"In 1957 an explosive new indictment of the novel swept aside the literary critics and established itself as the defining controversy over Huckleberry Finn.  Amid the gathering force of the civil rights movement, the NAACP condemned the novel as racist - a condemnation that rested in large part on Jim's diction, and on Mark Twain's 211 uses of the word '**bleep**'.  Although passionately rebutted by critics and writers of both races - who have maintained ceaselessly that '**bleep**' did not reflect authorial intention but authentic regional/period dialogue, and that its appearance frequently made a satirical case against the speaker - the 'racist' charge has never lost its grip on the novel's reputation."  Ron Powers, Mark Twain: a life

"Whether or not Twain the man was a racist, his imaginative parts created a character [Jim] who challenged Twain's own moral nature."  Thomas Quirk, "Is Huckleberry Finn politically correct?"

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

Re: Mark Twain charged with racism?

[ Edited ]

"Everything that one need understand about Mark Twain's motives may be found in the work itself.  Against the most invidious supposition of all - racism - [Robert] Hirst [the editor-in-chief of the Mark Twain Project at Berkeley] cites the powerful scolding, in Chapter 15 [of Huckleberry Finn], that Jim administers to Huck for toying with his mind after the two became separated in the fog.  (" '...En when I wake' up en fine you back agin, all safe en soun', de tears come en I could a got down on my knees en kiss yo' foot I's so thankful.  En all you wuz thinkin' 'bout, wuz how you could make a fool of old Jim wid a lie.' ")  After this tongue-lashing, Huck 'humbles' himself to Jim.

Calling Jim the supreme imaginative character of the whole book, Hirst speaks for more than a few scholars by noting that Jim denounces Huck's racist treatment of him, pointing out that no other American author [than Twain] of the 19th century dedicated his masterpiece to combating postwar racism."  Ron Powers, Mark Twain: a life

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

People should look to themselves and not Mark Twain for racism.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

carusmm wrote:

People should look to themselves and not Mark Twain for racism.

I'm not sure what the above people considered "racism" to be. The setting of "Huckleberry Finn" is the 19th century in a region of the country dependent on the institution of slavery. Jim was also a runaway slave.....

Chad