Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: Mark Twain charged with racism?

"Huckleberry Finn" was used politically (still is?) by the NAACP and other organizations. I'm not sure they ever made any sense. They were taking words/phrases out of context and decried "racism" among other things. Again, they probably had not read the book....

Chad

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Race

"Race",  and "racism" to some degree, was always a hot topic on the CE and H board- certainly on the genocide thread. "Racism" implies that there are different "races"- I think we open a whole other can of worms when we use this word. But I believe we geenrally accept that there are different races of human beings....what do you think? Anyway, a definition of "racism" is in order, but your definition might be different than someone else's...

Chad

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

Re: Race

[ Edited ]

chad wrote:

"Race",  and "racism" to some degree, was always a hot topic on the CE and H board- certainly on the genocide thread. "Racism" implies that there are different "races"- I think we open a whole other can of worms when we use this word. But I believe we geenrally accept that there are different races of human beings....what do you think? Anyway, a definition of "racism" is in order, but your definition might be different than someone else's...

Chad

You are quite right, Chad, there is no such thing as race in a scientific sense; however, there is such a thing plainly as difference and for that we must have tolerance.  But I will never forgive anyone who says that Mark Twain was anything less than a sincere and decent man as I will never forgive anyone who calls Dr. Martin Luther King Jnr. anything less than the greatest.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

carusmm wrote:

chad wrote:

Chad

You are quite right, Chad, there is no such thing as race in a scientific sense; however, there is such a thing plainly as difference and for that we must have tolerance.  But I will never forgive anyone who says that Mark Twain was anything less than a sincere and decent man as I will never forgive anyone who calls Dr. Martin Luther King Jnr. anything less than the greatest.

"However, there is such a thing plainly as difference." - and equality :smileywink:

Chad

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

chad wrote:

carusmm wrote:

chad wrote:

Chad

"However, there is such a thing plainly as difference." - and equality :smileywink:

Chad

...and liberty and fraternity.  Does revolution not begin and end in the human heart?  It does.  It is the reason I read.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Carusmm wrote:

"and liberty and fraternity.  Does revolution not begin and end in the human heart?  It does.  It is the reason I read."

....and I'm thinking a revolt of the African American slaves, according to what Twain wirtes, was either not possible or almost impossible during the 1800's. A revolt seemed to come later in their history with leaders like Martin Luther and Malcom X. And interestingly, other civil rights groups formed a coalition with King during the 60's....

Chad

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

chad wrote:

Carusmm wrote:

"and liberty and fraternity.  Does revolution not begin and end in the human heart?  It does.  It is the reason I read."

....and I'm thinking a revolt of the African American slaves, according to what Twain wirtes, was either not possible or almost impossible during the 1800's. A revolt seemed to come later in their history with leaders like Martin Luther and Malcom X. And interestingly, other civil rights groups formed a coalition with King during the 60's....

Chad

Progress takes time, Chad.  I have learnt this as a humanist like I have learnt nothing else.