Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
jessicaabruno
0 Kudos

Merck Manual/s

Is/are Merck Manual/s worth it/are the buy and etc? Or if not what is/are worth and etc?

Basically, I was looking at it earlier and it seems its worth the buy and etc. In the end didn't get it because I'm still totally unsure about it and etc.

Jessica A Bruno (waybeyondfedup)
Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD

Re: Merck Manual/s

The Merck Manual is very authoritative but is becoming expensive. A few years old copy will have most of the same information, and be considerably cheaper. Look for a used/older copy if cost is a consideration.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

It also depends on what you need it for. If it's just for occasional reference, I wouldn't bother. If it's something you need professionally (or as a really serious avocation) I'd look at buying the most current one that you can afford, new or used.

Unless it's some sort of requirement, you probably don't need the latest edition. As @Einstein pointed out, the changes from one to the next are minor, so being one back usually won't be a problem. It's when you're several editions back that the changes add up.

I know I don't keep all my professional reference books up to date. Some like to have a "new" edition every year, just to get your money. For example, I get by just fine with an AP style book that's several years out of date. But then, I'm not doing day-to-day journalism right now.

Frequent Contributor
jessicaabruno
0 Kudos

8/1/13

Dear Whomever this may concern:

What the heck is going on with The Merck Manuals and especially their home editions and/or guides to it. I mean just look at the latest one compared to the previous ones. I already owned the 2nd most recent edition/guide (2009) of it for sometime now. In which I have already pre ordered this coming edition/guide, but still wondering what the heck is going on with all of this. This also applies to the other Merck Manuals Editions and/or Guides. I for one have looked at the professional edition/guide at the local library by me because I was comparing the two of them. Whats the future like for all of the Merck Manuals Editions/Guides.

Think thats it for now.

Thank you, again, in advance.

Yours truly,

Jessica A Bruno

Jessica A Bruno (waybeyondfedup)