12-21-2011 10:24 AM
I use a Neti pot with water from a PUR pitcher filter that has been microwaved for less than a minute. Is this enough to protect me from amoebas? Or do I need to heat it longer? I use saline packets with it, and wash it afterward (inside and the spout). I also live in southwest Louisiana. Please advise. I've already asked this question a few minutes ago on Dr. Sanjay Gupta's CNN blog.
12-21-2011 11:07 AM
Duck tape is silver.
Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
12-21-2011 03:34 PM
Check your local water source statistics (we get a report on bacteria, minerals/metals, etc. from the city where I live every year) and ask about any amoeba content.
Essentially, amoebic meningitis/encephalitis is extremely rare (approximately 130 cases in the US between 1937 and 2007). Those very few people who have recently died of the infection - and hit the news - were using unfiltered tap water in areas known to have high amoebic content (and I believe one was even on well-water). If it really is concerning to you, then use distilled water with the saline packets.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
12-24-2011 02:25 PM
If you're really worried, my advice would be to boil the water first (about two or three minutes in the microwave). Just be sure to cool it down enough before you squirt it up your nose (can you imagine the pain of the burns if you don't? Yikes!).
For those who don't know what we're talking about (I didn't until a year or two ago), a "neti pot" is a thing (frequently ceramic) that looks like a delicate teapot with a ridiculously-long spout. You hold your head at a certain angle and pour clean water into your nose. If you're holding your head correctly, the water will irrigate your nose and then run out the other nostril, allegedly washing away a layer of bacteria-infested crud, thus giving your immune system a fighting chance.
I've always thought that people who used such things were nuts, but my wife's girlfriend (who's prone to sinus infections) swears by hers. I've never had the nerve to try it, but she's not stupid, so I'm willing to take her word for it.
Has anyone else had good (or bad) results with one?