Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,287
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

Lawmakers approve same-sex marriage in N.H., Maine.  I thought about posting it elsewhere but decided it needed it's own thread. 
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

Now that really is good news Ryan!  And it seems that Washington DC is about to recognised same-sex marrriages performed in other states?

 

 

 


Ryan_G wrote:
Lawmakers approve same-sex marriage in N.H., Maine.  I thought about posting it elsewhere but decided it needed it's own thread. 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎03-05-2009

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

I am very happy to see some momentum growing on this. It's been a long time coming.
Blogger
L_Monty
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎12-30-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

California! Berkeley hippies! Pot! Amnesty! Most liberal state in the Union! (Behind Maine, New Hampshire and Iowa. :smileytongue:)


Joseph_F wrote:
I am very happy to see some momentum growing on this. It's been a long time coming.

How would you feel about ... Joementum?
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

Sorry Monty but I do not understand this post!:smileysurprised:  What are you getting at?  What have hippies, pot and amnesty got to do with gay marriage?

 

 


L_Monty wrote:
California! Berkeley hippies! Pot! Amnesty! Most liberal state in the Union! (Behind Maine, New Hampshire and Iowa. :smileytongue:)


Joseph_F wrote:
I am very happy to see some momentum growing on this. It's been a long time coming.

How would you feel about ... Joementum?

 

Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎03-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

 Yeah, sorry, I don't really understand this post at all either.

L_Monty wrote:
California! Berkeley hippies! Pot! Amnesty! Most liberal state in the Union! (Behind Maine, New Hampshire and Iowa. :smileytongue:)


Joseph_F wrote:
I am very happy to see some momentum growing on this. It's been a long time coming.

How would you feel about ... Joementum?

 

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

[ Edited ]
I think Monty is mocking California as it is sometimes referred to "the most liberal state in the country" (and such references often mention Berkeley and hippies) and many liberals who live there also say this as a point of pride, but the state still does not have legal gay marriage while several other states now do.  But in actuality only parts of California are extremely liberal, there are also many areas that are fairly conservative.   It's a big state!   
Message Edited by Jon_B on 05-08-2009 06:24 AM
________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

Oh I see, thanks:smileyhappy:.   I am pleased that Joseph did not understand either - Monty's slang often defeats me but I thought it was because I was a Brit:smileyvery-happy:

 

 

 


Jon_B wrote:
I think Monty is mocking California as it is sometimes referred to "the most liberal state in the country" (and such references often mention Berkeley and hippies) and many liberals who live there also say this as a point of pride, but the state still does not have legal gay marriage while several other states now do.  But in actuality only parts of California are extremely liberal, there are also many areas that are fairly conservative.   It's a big state!   
Message Edited by Jon_B on 05-08-2009 06:24 AM

 

Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎03-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

I think it was the Joementum part which really confused me
Blogger
L_Monty
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎12-30-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side


Jon_B wrote:
I think Monty is mocking California as it is sometimes referred to "the most liberal state in the country

Pretty much just that. As an ex-Californian, I've never really enjoyed the one-dimensional characterization of California as some peace-love-dope liberal fantasia. This is of course the same place that has had evangelical megachurches for 80 years and led the nation on the anti-immigrant front with the hilariously aptly named Proposition 187 (Choisya Slang Update: "187" is the California police code for murder). And we elected Reagan. So, er, yeah. Mostly I've been enjoying how it took only—what? six weeks? eight weeks?—a matter of weeks, at any rate, for one of the hoariest American political clichés to get rightfully thrown into the toilet by a midwestern state and two of the more conservative New England states.



Joseph_F wrote:
I think it was the Joementum part which really confused me

Be honest with yourself: why would you settle for momentum when you could have Joementum? It's the kind of runaway political train that sees you steaming into every station across this nation in a three-way split-decision for third place.

Seriously, though, I'm sure it seemed very funny to me at the time, but it's a totally disposable and probably chronically unfunny joke. I've been reeling from migraines and doped to the gills for about four days, and I'm pretty much functioning on a signals-recognition level.
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

While the Midwest is generally considered a more or less conservative region, Iowa in particular has been a pretty liberal state for quite some time.  Not sure what it is about the state that makes it an exception, having never been there.  Although I guess Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin are fairly liberal as well.  But Iowa seems to stand out for some reason.

 

 

 

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

Well, it's well known as a corny state.

 

 


Jon_B wrote:

While the Midwest is generally considered a more or less conservative region, Iowa in particular has been a pretty liberal state for quite some time.  Not sure what it is about the state that makes it an exception, having never been there.  Although I guess Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin are fairly liberal as well.  But Iowa seems to stand out for some reason.

 

 

 

 


 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side


Joseph_F wrote:
I think it was the Joementum part which really confused me

 

Monty seems to have some kind of punning virus- hope it's not contagious!
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,287
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

One of the many reasons I'm glad I am a native of Minneasota
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎03-10-2008

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

I'll tell ya what's really painful... growing up liberal in Colorado, then moving to Minnesota for 5 years then heading to Texas. Holy cow (pun intended)!

 

There is nothing to prepare you for conservative Texas.

Patty
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

Well there's always Austin, that's a fairly liberal area in Texas, probably more liberal in fact than most parts of Colorado.

 

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎03-10-2008

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

Austin is a great town. Unfortunately I live in a small town south of Dallas. Not exactly a hotbed of open mindedness.

 

Oh well. I try to voice my opinions as often as possible & work on getting people to realize there is a great big world out there beyond the borders. Let me tell ya, it isn't easy.:smileyhappy:

Patty
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

Keep up the good work Patty!  My grandfather used to tell me that 'spreading the word' was like being a pebble which, if dropped in a pool, created many ripples:smileyhappy:.   

 

 

 


Patty_Champion wrote:

Austin is a great town. Unfortunately I live in a small town south of Dallas. Not exactly a hotbed of open mindedness.

 

Oh well. I try to voice my opinions as often as possible & work on getting people to realize there is a great big world out there beyond the borders. Let me tell ya, it isn't easy.:smileyhappy:


 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
Posts: 9,216
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

Good advice.

 

Very much what I'm trying to do here!

 


Choisya wrote:

Keep up the good work Patty!  My grandfather used to tell me that 'spreading the word' was like being a pebble which, if dropped in a pool, created many ripples:smileyhappy:.   

 

 

 


Patty_Champion wrote:

Austin is a great town. Unfortunately I live in a small town south of Dallas. Not exactly a hotbed of open mindedness.

 

Oh well. I try to voice my opinions as often as possible & work on getting people to realize there is a great big world out there beyond the borders. Let me tell ya, it isn't easy.:smileyhappy:


 


 

 

_______________
I think, therefore I drive people nuts.
Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎03-10-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Hampshire and Maine are now on the good side

Thank you for that. I really like that concept of the pebble. I think it does people (including myself) good to hear what others think, then you realize that hey, there are other ways of thinking out there. Too many people think (& act) like sheep. Somebody has to ruffle the feathers now & then.

 

As far as same sex marriage goes, I'm all for it. Why does it matter if it's a man & woman, 2 men or 2 women. As long as they're in love & commited for the long-haul I don't think it should matter.

Patty