Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: New Poll On The True Feelings Of The GOP/ populist party

Well you can still buy build it your self car kits, just like for small planes. Instructions anyone who can turn a wrench and hoist a lift can use. How of the world really would one of those be? They don't smith everything themselves, they trade for parts, so...

And yes I'm aware the Mennonites are less strict.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hmmmm..... well, suffice it to say that "old-fashioned" are words which we use to market cookies and also the Amish people themselves, who actually make great cookies. :smileywink:But the question is always to me: Can we be about more than profit? 

Chad   

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Well you can still buy build it your self car kits, just like for small planes. Instructions anyone who can turn a wrench and hoist a lift can use. How of the world really would one of those be? They don't smith everything themselves, they trade for parts, so...

And yes I'm aware the Mennonites are less strict.

That's a good way around their dependence-on-the-world aversion, TB, but it still doesn't get around their aversion to get places faster or easier than what they currently do with their horses.  They pride themselves in working from sun up to sun down, and are not looking for more leisure time nor a more efficient way of doing things.  Remember that these are the same people who won't allow musical instruments in their homes because it might evoke some kind of sinful pleasure.  That same mindset might very well believe that increased leisure time would create more opportunities for temptation and sin.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

And I thought I'd mention:

Leland Stanford, one of the big four railroad tycoons actually attempted to represent Populist party objectives when he was elected to the senate. However, this was after the landmark decison San Mateo County v. Southern Pacific Railroad Company which was credited for giving the corporation a "legal personality".  The corporation was like a runaway train at that point. But is the new Tea Party the new Populist party? Sometimes Palin is labeled as a "populist" in the news. Populism seems to be about  "worker controlled" companies through "cooperatives", among other things.....

Chad 

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

One of the definitions I found was this " Typically, a populist is liberal on economic and national security issues, but conservative on social issues". I suppose that is why it is a third party. I am more conservative on economic issues and liberal on social and national security issues. I consider myself an independent but lean right. My friends who lean left are conservative on national security and liberal on economic and social issues. Is populism therefore in the middle kind of leaning in both directions?

I also found this comment "
The media is fond of using this term (meaning populism) in descriptions of public outcry over political events. A populace may be said to be “erupting in populist rage” when people lodge complaints about flagrant abuses of power among the elite, or in situations where governments push through legislation which does little to benefit the lower and middle classes and backlash occurs. In this sense, the term is usually pejorative in nature, and it is often used to suggest that the public is too ignorant or short-sighted to understand what is really going on, instead fixing on major points of contention which make convenient public scapegoats".

I suppose if you subscribe to that theory, you might agree that the populists are tea partiers since they are creating a public outcry. However, I subscribe more to this definition that I found: "
Populism is a political philosophy which focuses on standing up for the rights and positions of “the people,” distinguishing common citizens from the elite and the government. Several political movements around the world, most notably in Russia and the United States, have promoted populist ideals. When used to describe political rhetoric, an individual, or a political party, the term often carries pejorative connotations, and “populism” has become a loaded word".
I don't know much about the website but it had interesting information.

btw, I have some memorabilia from the Southern Pacific Railroad from functions we used to attend. They were taken over by Union Pacific.

chad wrote:

And I thought I'd mention:

Leland Stanford, one of the big four railroad tycoons actually attempted to represent Populist party objectives when he was elected to the senate. However, this was after the landmark decison San Mateo County v. Southern Pacific Railroad Company which was credited for giving the corporation a "legal personality".  The corporation was like a runaway train at that point. But is the new Tea Party the new Populist party? Sometimes Palin is labeled as a "populist" in the news. Populism seems to be about  "worker controlled" companies through "cooperatives", among other things.....

Chad 

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Thanks. "Populism" probably resurfaced due to the "bailing out" of corporations with government funds- taxpayer dollars, And the Tea-partiers seemed as if they had some tax issues, hence their name.

Chad