Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

No, I cannot agree that by sending curriculum suggestions to the schools they "circumvented" the states and local school boards, at least not in the sense that they tried to abrogate the rights of the states to determine their own curriculum for themselves.  Teachers simply cannot teach ANYTHING without first getting local approval and nothing that the feds send to schools directly changes that.  But they can certainly review stuff that they send away for or receive in the mail and submit it to their local boards for approval.  They do it every day. 

 

Did you imagine that the State Board of Education and School districts acquire all their curriculum ideas themselves and then pass them along to the teachers after they have given it the green light?    I suppose they might use that procedure for some stuff, but publishers send sample books and videos mostly to teachers, who first review them and, if they like them more than what they are presently using, submit them to their school boards for approval and purchase.   In fact, most of the inventive ideas in education come from the ranks of the lowly teachers.

 

I don't know what was considered "unprecedented", Mom_of_4.  Perhaps it was the live streaming video feed they arranged.

New User
Mom_of_4
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎09-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

I would think, Psychee, that the Federal DOE would sent their curriculum ideas to the States, which then need votes from the citizens to approve it,  and not  to individuals and to encourage it as appropriate without said votes from the citizens, as they are supposed to. Or we open ourselves to a very slippery slope. One that was taught and supposedly learned beginning from the early 1930's. There is a reason why the US Code is there, and that is so that one's idealogue is not imposed upon the rest. Especially those most vulnerable: the children

 

 

Those who refuse to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.

Blogger
L_Monty
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎12-30-2008

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

[ Edited ]

 


Mom_of_4 wrote:

The main problem came from the media. Most media reported  this as "Right Wingers against Obama". The same media that labeled any dissenters as Terrorists, evil, hate mongers, racists, teabaggers, unamerican, unpatriotic, on the same level as the 9/11 terrorists etc etc....with anything that had to do with anything that didnt agree with Obama. It's like icing on the cake. They turned it into "The racists against Obama talking to children" when the problem was really the Feds sending classroom workbooks to the teachers directly.  Telling them what to teach our kids before, during and after the President's speech.  I think history can teach us the evils behind allowing that. But not one of those media outlets reported on the investigations, hearings, testimonies, and legal actions taken against Bush the First when he did it. The hypocrisy is amazing right now, and I for one, am sick of it. We are one Country. We are all part of this amazing country we call the United States of America, and enjoy freedoms most in this world can't even imagine. Instead of attacking citizens, just for not agreeing.......we should all really look  and find the bigger picture here. For someone who was touted as the Great Uniter, I don't see him doing much to unite us.


I don't get it. It wasn't Obama who armed 3 million people with such virulent rhetoric about servitude, terror and totalitarian nightmares that they went out to the streets on tax day carrying pictures of Obama, Hitler, Stalin and Mao and placards that said, "The Taxpayers are the Jews for Obama's Ovens" and "OBAMA'S PLAN = WHITE SLAVERY" and sent them out again on July 4th to do the same. (If for nothing more than the fact that Obama would probably recognize the irony of protesting socialism from public parks.) It wasn't Obama who told them they were being taxed into submission despite the fact that they were all paying the tax rate set by the Bush administration, to which they were well-disposed. It wasn't Obama who gave people sign recommendations like:

 

One
Big
A**
Mistake
America.

 

That was FreedomWorks, a privately funded astroturf group founded by Dick Armey and Newt Gingrich. And it's probably best that they devised recommended signs, because when the attendees at these things DIY it, you wouldn't believe the number of signs that feature Obama portrayed like a monkey. The word teabagger hasn't become interchangeable for some with the concept of racist hatemongers because of the media: it's because you can go on Flickr and look at photostreams from all across the country showing pictures of people who depict the president as an ape or carry placards of teabags being lynched from trees.

 

It wasn't Obama promoting the events in the media either. Obama didn't give that group's protest over $500,000 in free advertising in just ad blocs alone, to say nothing of nearly 12 hours of coverage of the events on the day preceding, the day of and the day after—including setting up large soundstages and organizing attendees into concentrated areas before the cameras to make it seem like there were more people on the ground. That was FOX News, who when not covering the tea parties themselves had their own reporters drop the word "fascist" or "fascism" up to three times in under 10 seconds to describe the Obama administration

 

FOX News, you may remember, has also been covering America's "outrage" about "socialized medicine," a brewing story that the rest of the media isn't covering because every poll not conducted by the Von Mises institute shows that between 70-80% of Americans favor public-option healthcare — i.e. numbers that dwarf the opposition. Which is why the opposition has to be organized.

 

Cue FreedomWorks again, who sent out helpful emailers encouraging people to "get there early" and "pack the front so it looks like everyone in the room agrees with you," and, when a pro-public option speaker dared to intrude on the discussion by giving breath to the terrifying inconvenience of "facts" (including one lady famously confronted a group of people decrying socialized medicine as "communism" by asking how many of them were on MEDICARE and seeing scores of hands shoot up), to start chanting the Pledge of Allegiance in unison because — hey, it doesn't make any sense, but at least no one will ever hear what the other guy has to say.

 

Of course, liberals are baffled why Obama is even trying to talk to people who won't listen, wondering why he doesn't cram healtchare down everyone's throats with a supermajority in the senate, wondering why he's spinning his wheels trying to build compromises with a political party that eschews compromise because making the government work goes against their core political principle that government doesn't work. All this reaching-across-the-aisle stuff isn't hurting anyone but him. And who should listen to him anyway? He's the black Hitler: he hates white people. (Link goes to general index because I had to quit reading the headlines before getting to the one I wanted because trying to support the point that Obama is not being divisive while scrolling past headlines about the second-most popular TV pundit likening the president to Mussolini and then threatening the liberals he thinks are trying to kill him that "ten more will take his place" makes me literally really upset.)

 

Nor was it Obama who divided the nation by saying his opponents were terrorists. That was, again, FOX News who took a DHS report, exaggerated it beyond anything approaching a rational conception of objective reality and turned it into a liberal "attack" on the troops and populist conservatives. This despite the fact that Glenn Beck sat passively as a guest on his show said that the best way to wake America up and take us away from the scourge of liberalism was for an "even bigger 9/11." Or that it was a fan of his show and of Ron Paul who shot to death three police because he believed the stormtroopers of the federal government were going to put him in FEMA concentration camps because he was a gun owner. Now, the initially most salient point about this report is that it was commissioned and concluded by the Bush administration, but the capstone on it is that after reports that white supremacists were flocking to the armed forces as their own "Timothy McVeigh finishing school," after a far-right gunman slew an abortion doctor (one demonized by the most-popular TV pundit), the young man mentioned above slew three police and another was stopped at only one death in the Holocaust Museum, FOX News' own Shep Smith admitted the DHS report was absolutely right.

 

I honestly don't know what to tell you. Is Obama divisive? Yeah. Why is he? I don't know. The only two explanations I can think of are that:

 

a. He's black.
b. He's a Democrat who didn't lose.

 

How else to explain the rage? Hate groups exploded in membership even under Clinton because his "socialism" was going to "destroy the USA," but Obama's non-whiteness must be even worse. How else to explain the need to cleave to an idea that he couldn't have been elected without millions of (black) ACORN co-conspirators—a divisive theory uncritically propounded again by Glenn Beck on FOX News? The need to pretend his original mission is some Kenyan skein intended to deceive America? How else to explain the Southern Poverty Law Center's repeated warnings that hate groups are on a geometric rise again in terms of groups and group memberships just like the Clinton years? How else to explain that it took roughly 10 days of his being president-elect before he'd had more death threats than any other president-elect in history, and how else to explain that threats against him have increased by 400% since his inaugural?

 

I mean, say whatever you will about divisiveness, but it's difficult to argue that Obama isn't being overmatched by untold groups. And say what you will about the media, but there is no shortage of these people who legitimately are racist hatemongers, and should be called as such — just as there are other media members fanning the flames of words like fascism, distorting the actual numerical facts of the tax code by shrieking about STALIN and LENIN, manufacturing fantasies like FEMA camps and manipulative rumors that a liberal president is essentially having homeland security declare an intelligence war on veterans, dehumanizing abortion doctors and minimizing the value of their lives, exhorting others to take up arms and "surround them" while letting the metaphorical aspects of the exhortation slip away, and trading in conspiracy stories that depict the president as a foreign usurper in league with untold minority community organizers infiltrating every city in America.

 

You know, that's not just divisive. That's dangerous.

 

 

Edit: to add the post to which I was replying

Blogger
L_Monty
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎12-30-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

 


Mom_of_4 wrote:

Or we open ourselves to a very slippery slope. One that was taught and supposedly learned beginning from the early 1930's.


Godwin again.

 

*Sigh*

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district


Mom_of_4 wrote:

I would think, Psychee, that the Federal DOE would sent their curriculum ideas to the States, which then need votes from the citizens to approve it,  and not  to individuals and to encourage it as appropriate without said votes from the citizens, as they are supposed to. Or we open ourselves to a very slippery slope. One that was taught and supposedly learned beginning from the early 1930's. There is a reason why the US Code is there, and that is so that one's idealogue is not imposed upon the rest. Especially those most vulnerable: the children

 

 

Those who refuse to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.


 

OK, L_Monty.   Feel better?  Go to your "happy place" now.  :smileyhappy:

 

Mom_of_4,  every state is different in terms of where the curriculum is approved.  In my district, it is approved at the town level, and the citizens do not vote on those things directly.  Their elected representatives on the school board do that.   The State only makes laws about larger matters, like how many days a kid must be in school per year, how many years of history they must take, and so forth.   They don't even determine teacher's salaries.

 

And if the DOE sent stuff to the State BOE, it would be two years before the school boards received the mailing, as they are that far behind in their work. 

 

Sending the suggested program materials directly to the schools got them in the hands of the one person available during the summer (the principal) whose responsibility it was to get approval from the School Board prior to using it.  It was a practical and efficient means of distributing the materials for us, allowing enough time for the approval process to be completed prior to the speech.

 

And again, "encouraging something as appropriate" is very different from requiring its use, or pretending that these things already had local board approval.  Principals aren't children;  they understand their responsibilities vis a vis the approval process. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

[ Edited ]

I was digging through my pockets this evening, and found two pennies....I guess I'll throw them into this pot.

 

I can't even imagine taking my kids out of school, because our president is taking HIS time to talk to THEM.  His concern for their education is evident.   Their future welfare, is our future welfare.  He and his wife are educators, and I've seen nothing but sound judgement where their ideas for education is concerned.  Educating, by positive reinforcement for kids to STAY in school.

 

I wonder if taking the child out of school gives a postitive, or negative, view of not just our president, but the government, itself.  What does it say about the parent?   We, as adults see the negatives, but do we really need to teach our elementary kids these feelings, at this age?  Missing a whole day of school of learning, because of a talk by the man who oversees our government with his good intentions, just doesn't add up.

 

That's it.  I ran out of pennies.  :smileyhappy:

 

Kathy S.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

you had me on your previous post about the Patriot Act, which was the reason I laureld it.  But you lost me on the blaming of the media for labels.  Just a year ago those on the right were calling those of us who supported Obama and Obama himself names.  Terrorist, unAmerican, Unpatriotic (mainly because we didn't support the war).  We were also called communists, socialists and about every other label the right attack machine could come up with.  So I think you need to go back and examine what is actually being said.

 

How much attacking of Reagen was done when he did the same thing?

 

And I'm sorry their was some harsh words said about President Obama about the speech.  Unless of course you don't consider comparing him to Mao, Lenin, Hitler, and Stalin as  harsh


Mom_of_4 wrote:

It's not even US Dept of Ed Code.....it's US Code....Something all Presidents should be aware of.

 

 

The main problem came from the media. Most media reported  this as "Right Wingers against Obama". The same media that labeled any dissenters as Terrorists, evil, hate mongers, racists, teabaggers, unamerican, unpatriotic, on the same level as the 9/11 terrorists etc etc....with anything that had to do with anything that didnt agree with Obama. It's like icing on the cake. They turned it into "The racists against Obama talking to children" when the problem was really the Feds sending classroom workbooks to the teachers directly.  Telling them what to teach our kids before, during and after the President's speech.  I think history can teach us the evils behind allowing that. But not one of those media outlets reported on the investigations, hearings, testimonies, and legal actions taken against Bush the First when he did it. The hypocrisy is amazing right now, and I for one, am sick of it. We are one Country. We are all part of this amazing country we call the United States of America, and enjoy freedoms most in this world can't even imagine. Instead of attacking citizens, just for not agreeing.......we should all really look  and find the bigger picture here. For someone who was touted as the Great Uniter, I don't see him doing much to unite us.


 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

Since when do the citizens of a state vote on curriculum? I vote every election day and I have never voted on any curriculum issues

Mom_of_4 wrote:

I would think, Psychee, that the Federal DOE would sent their curriculum ideas to the States, which then need votes from the citizens to approve it,  and not  to individuals and to encourage it as appropriate without said votes from the citizens, as they are supposed to. Or we open ourselves to a very slippery slope. One that was taught and supposedly learned beginning from the early 1930's. There is a reason why the US Code is there, and that is so that one's idealogue is not imposed upon the rest. Especially those most vulnerable: the children

 

 

Those who refuse to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.


"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

Monty, thank you. You just reminded me of why you are my hero. Of course not my Idol Hero that would be Obama since all of us who voted for him are in cult of personality and are deaf and dumb to his nefarious plot to become the first non-American born to become preisdent and turn us into Russia.


L_Monty wrote:

 


Mom_of_4 wrote:

The main problem came from the media. Most media reported  this as "Right Wingers against Obama". The same media that labeled any dissenters as Terrorists, evil, hate mongers, racists, teabaggers, unamerican, unpatriotic, on the same level as the 9/11 terrorists etc etc....with anything that had to do with anything that didnt agree with Obama. It's like icing on the cake. They turned it into "The racists against Obama talking to children" when the problem was really the Feds sending classroom workbooks to the teachers directly.  Telling them what to teach our kids before, during and after the President's speech.  I think history can teach us the evils behind allowing that. But not one of those media outlets reported on the investigations, hearings, testimonies, and legal actions taken against Bush the First when he did it. The hypocrisy is amazing right now, and I for one, am sick of it. We are one Country. We are all part of this amazing country we call the United States of America, and enjoy freedoms most in this world can't even imagine. Instead of attacking citizens, just for not agreeing.......we should all really look  and find the bigger picture here. For someone who was touted as the Great Uniter, I don't see him doing much to unite us.


I don't get it. It wasn't Obama who armed 3 million people with such virulent rhetoric about servitude, terror and totalitarian nightmares that they went out to the streets on tax day carrying pictures of Obama, Hitler, Stalin and Mao and placards that said, "The Taxpayers are the Jews for Obama's Ovens" and "OBAMA'S PLAN = WHITE SLAVERY" and sent them out again on July 4th to do the same. (If for nothing more than the fact that Obama would probably recognize the irony of protesting socialism from public parks.) It wasn't Obama who told them they were being taxed into submission despite the fact that they were all paying the tax rate set by the Bush administration, to which they were well-disposed. It wasn't Obama who gave people sign recommendations like:

 

One
Big
A**
Mistake
America.

 

That was FreedomWorks, a privately funded astroturf group founded by Dick Armey and Newt Gingrich. And it's probably best that they devised recommended signs, because when the attendees at these things DIY it, you wouldn't believe the number of signs that feature Obama portrayed like a monkey. The word teabagger hasn't become interchangeable for some with the concept of racist hatemongers because of the media: it's because you can go on Flickr and look at photostreams from all across the country showing pictures of people who depict the president as an ape or carry placards of teabags being lynched from trees.

 

It wasn't Obama promoting the events in the media either. Obama didn't give that group's protest over $500,000 in free advertising in just ad blocs alone, to say nothing of nearly 12 hours of coverage of the events on the day preceding, the day of and the day after—including setting up large soundstages and organizing attendees into concentrated areas before the cameras to make it seem like there were more people on the ground. That was FOX News, who when not covering the tea parties themselves had their own reporters drop the word "fascist" or "fascism" up to three times in under 10 seconds to describe the Obama administration

 

FOX News, you may remember, has also been covering America's "outrage" about "socialized medicine," a brewing story that the rest of the media isn't covering because every poll not conducted by the Von Mises institute shows that between 70-80% of Americans favor public-option healthcare — i.e. numbers that dwarf the opposition. Which is why the opposition has to be organized.

 

Cue FreedomWorks again, who sent out helpful emailers encouraging people to "get there early" and "pack the front so it looks like everyone in the room agrees with you," and, when a pro-public option speaker dared to intrude on the discussion by giving breath to the terrifying inconvenience of "facts" (including one lady famously confronted a group of people decrying socialized medicine as "communism" by asking how many of them were on MEDICARE and seeing scores of hands shoot up), to start chanting the Pledge of Allegiance in unison because — hey, it doesn't make any sense, but at least no one will ever hear what the other guy has to say.

 

Of course, liberals are baffled why Obama is even trying to talk to people who won't listen, wondering why he doesn't cram healtchare down everyone's throats with a supermajority in the senate, wondering why he's spinning his wheels trying to build compromises with a political party that eschews compromise because making the government work goes against their core political principle that government doesn't work. All this reaching-across-the-aisle stuff isn't hurting anyone but him. And who should listen to him anyway? He's the black Hitler: he hates white people. (Link goes to general index because I had to quit reading the headlines before getting to the one I wanted because trying to support the point that Obama is not being divisive while scrolling past headlines about the second-most popular TV pundit likening the president to Mussolini and then threatening the liberals he thinks are trying to kill him that "ten more will take his place" makes me literally really upset.)

 

Nor was it Obama who divided the nation by saying his opponents were terrorists. That was, again, FOX News who took a DHS report, exaggerated it beyond anything approaching a rational conception of objective reality and turned it into a liberal "attack" on the troops and populist conservatives. This despite the fact that Glenn Beck sat passively as a guest on his show said that the best way to wake America up and take us away from the scourge of liberalism was for an "even bigger 9/11." Or that it was a fan of his show and of Ron Paul who shot to death three police because he believed the stormtroopers of the federal government were going to put him in FEMA concentration camps because he was a gun owner. Now, the initially most salient point about this report is that it was commissioned and concluded by the Bush administration, but the capstone on it is that after reports that white supremacists were flocking to the armed forces as their own "Timothy McVeigh finishing school," after a far-right gunman slew an abortion doctor (one demonized by the most-popular TV pundit), the young man mentioned above slew three police and another was stopped at only one death in the Holocaust Museum, FOX News' own Shep Smith admitted the DHS report was absolutely right.

 

I honestly don't know what to tell you. Is Obama divisive? Yeah. Why is he? I don't know. The only two explanations I can think of are that:

 

a. He's black.
b. He's a Democrat who didn't lose.

 

How else to explain the rage? Hate groups exploded in membership even under Clinton because his "socialism" was going to "destroy the USA," but Obama's non-whiteness must be even worse. How else to explain the need to cleave to an idea that he couldn't have been elected without millions of (black) ACORN co-conspirators—a divisive theory uncritically propounded again by Glenn Beck on FOX News? The need to pretend his original mission is some Kenyan skein intended to deceive America? How else to explain the Southern Poverty Law Center's repeated warnings that hate groups are on a geometric rise again in terms of groups and group memberships just like the Clinton years? How else to explain that it took roughly 10 days of his being president-elect before he'd had more death threats than any other president-elect in history, and how else to explain that threats against him have increased by 400% since his inaugural?

 

I mean, say whatever you will about divisiveness, but it's difficult to argue that Obama isn't being overmatched by untold groups. And say what you will about the media, but there is no shortage of these people who legitimately are racist hatemongers, and should be called as such — just as there are other media members fanning the flames of words like fascism, distorting the actual numerical facts of the tax code by shrieking about STALIN and LENIN, manufacturing fantasies like FEMA camps and manipulative rumors that a liberal president is essentially having homeland security declare an intelligence war on veterans, dehumanizing abortion doctors and minimizing the value of their lives, exhorting others to take up arms and "surround them" while letting the metaphorical aspects of the exhortation slip away, and trading in conspiracy stories that depict the president as a foreign usurper in league with untold minority community organizers infiltrating every city in America.

 

You know, that's not just divisive. That's dangerous.

 

 

Edit: to add the post to which I was replying


 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Blogger
L_Monty
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎12-30-2008

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district


Ryan_G wrote:

Monty, thank you. You just reminded me of why you are my hero.


Wow. Thanks, man. Just remember. I'm not God (Obama). I'm just his messenger.

 

Now, if you'll excuse me,

 

*lies prostrate before MSNBC to await instructions*

 

As-Salāmu Alaykum!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

I think you guys missed the latest talking points.  Now Obama is Kim Jong Il and is trying to turn us into North Korea.

 

And my personal favorite protest signs are the ones that claim that "Youth in Asia will Kill Your Grandmother".

 

To the point - the things that I was hearing against Obama's speech to the children had nothing to do with some legal code concerning what the Dept of Education could or could not do.  I was hearing claims made, over and over again, that Obama's intention in making this speech was to indoctrinate the children of America into his socialist agenda.  Although there was some concern with the way one item in the accompanying materials was worded, as to children writing down ways that they could help the President, without being clear enough as to the intention being for the children to essentially write down how they could help do the things he was asking them to do, such as stay in school and study hard.  Other than that, which apparently many people interpreted as demanding that children tell how they would help turn the country socialist, I had heard no other concerns with the material being sent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Blogger
L_Monty
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎12-30-2008

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district


dulcinea3 wrote:
And my personal favorite protest signs are the ones that claim that "Youth in Asia will Kill Your Grandmother".

I have about a 10mb file of misspelled signs from these things (I spent a lot of time scrolling through Flickr on April 16 and July 5, mainly because I can always use graphics for other writing projects), and the apotheosis of comedy on these, for me, is anything about English or complaining about immigrants and their un-Americanness that's misspelled. My favorite new favorite is, "This is America and our only Lanaguage is English," although "We're not ra$cists, your are illegal" and "RESPECT ARE-COUNTRY SPEAK ENGLISH" are close runners-up.

New User
keelsisnoble
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-11-2009

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district, and other assorted issues

[ Edited ]

 

"Yes they should have referred to the office of the President, rather than the man who seems to be more and more overshadowing the office of the President and making it all about him."
Can you explain what you mean when you say he is "making it all about him?"
"In my memory, I cannot remember another President who has had so much publicity. We are bombarded by the Obama name constantly. It is not the President says this or the President says that but it is Obama who says it. It is all about him. Our country and its image is fading into the background with the photo of Obama always looming in the foreground."
This sounds a lot like the Reagan administration. If you were not alive during those years, you'd be surprised at how much positive attention he received. He was seen as deity-like.
"It is becoming far to personal and far less professional. I have never worshipped any man and don't intend to start now."
I don't think anybody worships the man, and I'd be frightened at anybody who did.
"In fact, I would like to point out that the media coverage was so different when the former President was in office, he was often referred to as Mr. not even the President and he was often blatantly insulted and yet now any time a comment is made in disagreement, not even one insulting this President, the opposition is maligned and accusations fly."
One of the biggest critiques that the left has about the current administration is how weak it is. How it lets vicious rumors circulate for months and months and months - his health care speech was the first time the White House has spoken out strongly against the lies being spread about the various bills in Congress. Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of that speech with respect to him addressing the national discourse was that he never mentioned that for all the talk about "Obamacare" that he never actually had a concrete plan at any point, and was letting Congress do it. And none of the bills were the same.
"Insults are the order of the day in this White House and they come also from its associates. Obama insults the citizens who oppose him by saying, in speeches, that they are spouting lies, that is a lie in itself."

Who does the White House insult, and who do you consider its associates? What things did Obama say were lies that were not actualy lies?
"Not everyone who objects to the President is a racist, a liar or silly or foolish, or uninformed. It is an insulting spin that constantly is spewed and it is not worthy of the office of the President, our government or its representatives."
That's an idea I see floated by the right a lot, but I don't see any actual grounding in it. It's much like the idea that people think Obama is "the messiah" - it's oft-repeated, but it's only repeated by the right.
"It is an attempt to shut down opposition, not to hear it and move forward using the input, but to ignore it and chastize those who disagree by calling them demeaning names. The comparison of astroturf and grass roots when referring to the opposing positions makes the position of this white house perfectly clear. Those against him are his enemies, like the former terrorists used to be ."
I find that an odd conclusion. Suggesting something is astroturfed is akin to saying somebody is a terrorist? Additionally, are terrorists no longer our enemies?
"He has drawn a line in the sand here. you are with him or agin' him. He and his party have forgotten that he is the President of all the people and Congress is supposed to represent us, not themselves."
With us or against us were words spoken verbatim in the past administration. Obama has made clear and repeated efforts to work with Republicans in Congress. Even if they don't like his ideas, they have stated that he did indeed sit down and meet with them.
"I have lived through Presidents of both parties, some of whom I voted for and some of whom, I didn't, but I never before felt so disenfranchised. There are a lot of unhappy people out there who voted for a man who pretended to be one thing to one group and something else to another behind closed doors but publicly he was always what he is now and he actually broadcast his philosophy loud and clear during the run up to the election. Those who are shocked now by his behavior were just not willing to listen to any other view but their own and complaining now about anything happening is a waste of time. They did it to themselves by not listening to all sides, by not demanding an unbiased media because at the time, it agreed with them."
Most people shocked by his behavior that previously supported him, at least from what I've seen, are people disappointed he's not living up ot any of the promises he made on the campaign trails - or at least none of the significant ones. Additionally, I don't see a bias in the media. I see an uncritical media that merely repeats what it's told. I haven't seen a single pro-health care reform segment on a regular news show in months. I don't mean pundits, and I don't just mean on one specific channel. For most news channels, on regular news hours, the reports about health care reform are about how much people are against it. If the media has a liberal bias, why not simply ignore this?
"There are many policies which start out as innocuous but have hidden agendas...for instance the trigger in the health care bill. Do you know what it really means? The person you triage out of the system, may someday be yourself. Health Care reform is necessary but reform doesn't mean tearing down the system that we have. It means changing only what isn't broken!"
What section of the bill is this?
You seem like you're keeping up with the news, I'd highly suggest not being so afraid of Obama. Speaking as somebody who is considered a radical leftist in this country, I and many others like me are extraordinarily disappointed with him. He's not doing anything even remotely in lines with the beliefs of those who support things like single-payer health care (in fact, he specifically mentioned this in the health care speech as something we would not have) and an expanded social safety net. You've nothing to fear, the chances of an actual leftist coming anywhere close to the office of the Presidency in our lifetimes is zero.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

 


Ryan_G wrote:
Since when do the citizens of a state vote on curriculum? I vote every election day and I have never voted on any curriculum issues

Mom_of_4 wrote:

I would think, Psychee, that the Federal DOE would sent their curriculum ideas to the States, which then need votes from the citizens to approve it,  and not  to individuals and to encourage it as appropriate without said votes from the citizens, as they are supposed to. Or we open ourselves to a very slippery slope. One that was taught and supposedly learned beginning from the early 1930's. There is a reason why the US Code is there, and that is so that one's idealogue is not imposed upon the rest. Especially those most vulnerable: the children

 

 

Those who refuse to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.



Do you skip school board elections?
I think it also depends on where you live too. My area school borad referendoms show up on the ballets. Tagged in on the bottom below legeslative double talk admentsment usually, but they're there.



 

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear, Ryan was saying that he votes for the school board but does not vote on curriculum, that being something that the elected school boards do themselves in his state (and mine as well).  Do you vote on curriculum (lesson plans) in your state?

 

Keelsisnoble,  various plans have different things called "triggers", none of which have anything at all to do with triaging old people (or any people).  Instead, they have to do with holding the 'public option" health insurance plan in abeyance pending certain criteria.   This was to give the private insurance companies adequate time to try to meet some goals themselves to avoid the government's entering the field as a competitor.  Failing to do this in a certain period of time "triggered" the public option to start as a market competitor.

 

This triage tripe all started when Obama made the mistake of talking about his grandmother (?) getting a full hip replacement while doctors were saying that she had less than two months to live as a result of cancer.  He mentioned it in the context of misuse of Medicare funds, and he's right.  No woman of that age would even have recuperated from a hip replacement enough to benefit from it in the two months she had to live.  It only increased her suffering.  But the Republicans seized on this little story as indicating that Obama believes in restricting care to the elderly.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

 


Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear, Ryan was saying that he votes for the school board but does not vote on curriculum, that being something that the elected school boards do themselves in his state (and mine as well).  Do you vote on curriculum (lesson plans) in your state?


There are about 2 to 4 times a year referendums that show up on the ballets. Depending on your district this past year it's been dress code for students, uniforms for students, teacher dress code, funding, sex ed, and others. More policy desisions than anything else. Useually after the boards push something though and someone gets a protest up in local news they'll be something on the next ballot to uphold or overturn. But if early protest gets enough ground swell they don't even wait that long.
But I mentioned school board elections because in my neck of the woods canidates platforms are based on their curricular choices. Don't yours? School board elections are yearly, bad curiculum and you won't be there next year. And members of a school district have the right to ask a board member to step down at any time, misconduct not nessisary.

 

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
Posts: 7,307
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

No, curriculum decisions never make it to the ballot box here or in the surrounding towns.  This may be because things are going well for us, with student achievement rates one of the highest in the country, and 95% or more of high school students going onto college.  The lowest 5% of achievers, once you take out the special ed students, are all functioning above national norms as well.   It is quite normal here for the schools to offer special tutoring to children who are ONLY one year ahead of national norms in their achievement, since they are at the bottom of their local classes.

 

When things are working right we tend to leave them alone. 

 

Money issues, like teacher's pay rates and other budget considerations tend to form the bulk of community involvement.  With salaries typically $60,000 to $90,000, the highest in the surrounding area, and property taxes skyrocketing as a result of increased school expenses, you can imagine how this might cause an uproar. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

Might have something to do with being a commonwealth state. (shrug) Are schools aren't that bad, but it depends which district you live in. From some of the best schools, to mostly ok, to well last year one district was in the country's 25 worst list.

 

Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008

Re: Obama's message not being aired in my school district

[ Edited ]

Psychee wrote:

Mom_of_4 wrote, in part:

 

The main problem came from the media. Most media reported  this as "Right Wingers against Obama". The same media that labeled any dissenters as Terrorists, evil, hate mongers, racists, teabaggers, unamerican, unpatriotic, on the same level as the 9/11 terrorists etc etc....with anything that had to do with anything that didnt agree with Obama...


I share your dismay about this.  Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann's caustic sarcasm and smug smiles do nothing positive for my bloodpressure.  But neither does Rush Limbaugh's twisting of facts to suit his own agenda.   All of these people have polarizing viewoints and they feed off each other, competing for viewers.  Personally, I think the first two appeal most to people who like to fight and put other people down.  But Rush scares me, as he has many listeners who haven't a clue about the real facts about things and just trust him completely to have their needs as his first priority, like a preacher. 

 

I think it would be very hard for any President to unite a land with such divisive forces operating against him.   It must be like patiently trying to give wholesome advice in a theatre of combatants.


 

I agree, Psychee. I think the media is doing the dividing, and those that listen to sound bites and refuse to do their own research. If I hear one more comparison of Obama to Hitler, I will scream.

Wait, I think it happened AAAARRRRRRGGGGGG

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
chad
Posts: 1,477
Registered: ‎10-25-2006
0 Kudos

President

Hi-

 

I just tuned in from the classics board.  The president is a rock star. It's an elevated, "high-profile" position.

 

Chad