Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Reading the economic crisis

The current economic crisis we are undergoing in the United States and the solutions put forth by politicians and pundits alike are very complicated and, for the layman, can be very difficult to understand.

Who are some authors - past and present - who can help shed some light on these economic issues?  Are there any economists whose writings you feel can give us the essential information we need to create informed opinions on the mortgage crisis or the bailout?  Are there any authors who'se ideas in any way predicted this crisis? 

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Reading the economic crisis

[ Edited ]

Folks may like to read our Will Hutton, who writes about economics on both sides of the Pond.

And they may also like to know what has been happening in Europe.

And maybe your J K Galbraith, who wrote so eloquently about the 1929 Wall Street Crash, is worth re-reading.

Our J M Keynes helped the US out of their 1929 financial crisis by proposing the New Deal to Roosevelt so perhaps his ideas could help again.

And of course there is always Karl Marx who said way back in 1848 that 'capitalism has within it the seeds of its own destruction'...

The world awaits the US Congress' decision with baited breath!  Will the US dollar ever achieve the same dominance after this crisis - much of the world's money is now being siphoned off to India and China and they are eagerly buying up cheap US assets.

Jon_B wrote:

The current economic crisis we are undergoing in the United States and the solutions put forth by politicians and pundits alike are very complicated and, for the layman, can be very difficult to understand.

Who are some authors - past and present - who can help shed some light on these economic issues?  Are there any economists whose writings you feel can give us the essential information we need to create informed opinions on the mortgage crisis or the bailout?  Are there any authors who'se ideas in any way predicted this crisis? 

Message Edited by Choisya on 10-01-2008 07:43 PM
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

"The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein

Shock Doctrine  was recommended to me by several people so I thought I'd read it.  It sounds interesting - has anyone here read it?
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein

Yes, I have read it and a documentary based up on it has been made over here.  It is about the way in which following the theories of the Chicago School of Economics has adversely affected America and the world.  It is not an easy read but it is enlightening. Here are two reviews, one from the Guardian.   

pedsphleb wrote:
Shock Doctrine  was recommended to me by several people so I thought I'd read it.  It sounds interesting - has anyone here read it?

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: "The Shock Doctrine" by Naomi Klein

Thanks (I should have known that you read it, Choisya :smileyvery-happy: )!

Choisya wrote:

Yes, I have read it and a documentary based up on it has been made over here.  It is about the way in which following the theories of the Chicago School of Economics has adversely affected America and the world.  It is not an easy read but it is enlightening. Here are two reviews, one from the Guardian.   

pedsphleb wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

Re: Reading the economic crisis

There have been some great titles that have come out:

The Subprime Solution - This talks about the impact of subprime lending and it's contrbution to the "bubble bursting".

Basic Economics  - This gives an overview of how the economy works and a fundamental understanding of economics

The Green Collar Economy  - This book provides insight into how the green movement can also turn the economy around.

The World Is Curved  - A great book to readwhich explores the new global economy and the challenges that exist.

Brad

With purpose and on purpose