Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Slwar
0 Kudos

Rupert Murdoch's News Of The World Foxed Into A Corner

The rival tabloids of NOTW smell a wounded Fox as advertisers are pressured (including P&G) to pull the plug on the Hack Gone Wild. How much distance can FOXNews place between itself and tha tabloid when their styles of journalism are so closely tied to Rupert's culture? Wouldn't it be great if the world World Empire came crashing down?

Broken Souls by Anthony Rawls is Christian poetry about God and Love, Life and Death, You and Me.
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: Rupert Murdoch's News Of The World Foxed Into A Corner

There are portions of our lives that have to remain private.  "Bank transparency"(something I posted earlier) and "newspaper reporting" deal with the same privacy issues. But I'm not sure why Murdoch did not sell the tabloid before the scandal- my guess is that the tabloid is a "money-maker."

Chad

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Why would Murdoch sell it?  It's right up his alley, and he wants more and more news outlets, not less.  In fact, it would be great if this messes up a deal he is currently trying for, to buy another news outlet in Great Britain.  I remember when they had to change U.S. law to accommodate him, because he wanted a newspaper and a TV station in the same market, which was not legal at the time.  He won't be satisfied until he has a monopoly, and his methods are unscrupulous.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Correspondent
FARIEQUEENE
0 Kudos

This situation gets more dirty as it goes on, the levels in which the corruption goes in this quotes mass breeches in privacy.

"I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king."
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

It's been announced that they are discontinuing the News of the World.  Regardless of its muckraking reputation in recent years (or maybe since Murdoch bought it in 1969), it had been published for about 168 years, Winston Churchill once worked for it, and it has/had the biggest subscription in the world for an English-language publication, so this could be seen as a good outcome or a shame.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

NOTW always was a tabloid that had an unethical reputation in news reporting, which seemed to reach a zenith in the report about the transsexual costar in the Bond film, "For Your Eyes Only." But I thought an unethical tabloid in a new modern world of cell phones and emails might create more problems than it was worth. And I wouldn't want it to create any more problems if I had just been handed Fox. But that's me.

Chad  

Contributor
Slwar
0 Kudos

Just when you thought News of The World could not get any worse for Murdoch we learn that not only has he dropped his bid for Sky Broadcasting but he has also been summoned to appear before an angry Parliament. Oh-almost forgot-he's trying to unload all of the UK tabloids. For a comical take on Murdoch's NOTW troubles check out these videos on youtube:  NOTW HACK ATTACK PROVES FATAL

Also check out my Kindle Best Seller (?) Broken Souls (Kindle Version)

Broken Souls by Anthony Rawls is Christian poetry about God and Love, Life and Death, You and Me.