Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

Re: SEIZED: A Sea Captain's Adventures Battling Scoundrels and Pirates

Miragoane was only moderately damaged by the quake. About 30 people died in town. My close friends--including Ronald's family (you'll meet Ronald in SEIZED; I'm hugging his sons in that photo)--are okay physically. I'm working now on getting the Reynolds Dock (also a feature in SEIZED) into service for relief efforts, in particular for construction materials. After the collapse of the Port-au-Prince pier and container terminal, the Reynolds Dock is the only deepwater berth that can supply the rebuilding effort in Port-au-Prince. All the best-- Max

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I am so glad that everyone you know is safe and sound but sorry about all the other unfortunate loss of life, limb and property. Are there any agencies in particular, that you find more helpful than others, in getting resources to places they are needed? Are there any major corporations helping you get the Reynolds Dock into service? The task would seem monumental to accomplish alone.
twj

Max-Hardberger wrote:

Miragoane was only moderately damaged by the quake. About 30 people died in town. My close friends--including Ronald's family (you'll meet Ronald in SEIZED; I'm hugging his sons in that photo)--are okay physically. I'm working now on getting the Reynolds Dock (also a feature in SEIZED) into service for relief efforts, in particular for construction materials. After the collapse of the Port-au-Prince pier and container terminal, the Reynolds Dock is the only deepwater berth that can supply the rebuilding effort in Port-au-Prince. All the best-- Max

Reader
BruceDoh
0 Kudos

Got my copy yesterday.  I've just read the first chapter and I'm loving it.  You sir, are a true badass.

Correspondent
Sadie1
0 Kudos

My copy arrived in Atlanta, GA today!  I'm so excited.   My 17 year old son and my husband want to read it too.  This book entices the three of us.

When do we start reading?  Has anyone seen the reading schedule?  I see where Max Hardberger will be with us to discuss it March 22-26th.

Lisa in Georgia

Frequent Contributor
lilk
0 Kudos

Received my copy today in Hawaii, can't wait to get started. :smileyvery-happy:

Seized

Howzit, from Hawaii

lilk

http://thebookendsreviews.com
Contributor
DreadPirateJeff
0 Kudos

I, too, want to thank you for the chance to read this and chat with you a bit about your book and your adventures :smileyhappy:

This reminds me of a line from a Dos XX commercial: "He lives vicariously, through himself..."

I just got my copy today, and it's great timing.  I end one job Friday, and start a new one Monday, and with my new job, I'll have down time to finally read some good books and unwind a bit instead of the daily commute.  YAY!!!

Also, I was wondering about movie/tv rights.  Just the little bit I've read so far really seems like this would make a great adventure movie, or a series on one of the edgier cable networks like FX or USA...

Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

Hi, Jeff--the movie rights have been optioned, but it'll be a couple of weeks before the deal is made public. I'll let y'all know the details then. Best regards--Max

Contributor
ImagineMe
0 Kudos

Hi Max,

Thanks for joining this discussion. I finally recieved your book and I'm already on page 20. Sucha  great read so far. I look forward to finishing the book and giving your my thoughts.

Thank you,

Dana

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Hi, Max.  I'm about half-way through the book and I must say, it is quite a page turner!  I can't believe how many crooks you've had to deal with.  Do you now expect people in the shipping business to be crooks and find that you are surprised when you discover that you are dealing with an honest person?

Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

Ha! That's exactly the case! It's not just I. . .anybody in the international shipping business dealing with someone he doesn't know will assume the other party is a crook. It too often turns out to be the case. But I've met some wonderful men over the years, like "Barry Butler" and "Ramesh Chawla" in SEIZED, and when you meet people who are moral because they choose to be--anyone can choose to be an outlaw in this lawless world--then their friendship is a cherished thing. Best regards--Max

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

According to Jon's post the discussion will begin on March 15th.

Sadie1 wrote:

My copy arrived in Atlanta, GA today!  I'm so excited.   My 17 year old son and my husband want to read it too.  This book entices the three of us.

When do we start reading?  Has anyone seen the reading schedule?  I see where Max Hardberger will be with us to discuss it March 22-26th.

Lisa in Georgia

Correspondent
Sadie1
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

Sadie1 wrote:

Lisa in Georgia

I saw where the discussion will start on March 15th, but does that mean we should go ahead and start reading it?  I'm used to the schedules of reading so many chapters at a scheduled time and then discussing those chapters.

Will there be a reading schedule posted for this book or should we just have it read and ready to discuss by the 15th of March?

I'm chomping at the bit to start it.  Had to start another book to hold back from starting this one.  I don't want to jump ahead and reveal any spoilers.

Lisa in Georgia

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Max, I finished reading the book last night.  It was a great read.  I suppose I now have to wait to actually discuss it, but this reaction can't wait:  After years of letting you survive dangerous situations, fate dealt you a very cruel twist.  What a devastating blow!  I'm heart broken for you...  !

Scribe
DSaff

Hi, Sadie. You can read the book. The schedule for the Sneak Peak books is different from regular FL's because the time is so short. With the last one, we all read the book, then had two weeks to discuss the book and spend time with the author. Questions and discussion pertained to the entire book. Unless they say differently, I am reading this one the same way. Happy reading!  :smileywink:

Sadie1 wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

Sadie1 wrote:

Lisa in Georgia

I saw where the discussion will start on March 15th, but does that mean we should go ahead and start reading it?  I'm used to the schedules of reading so many chapters at a scheduled time and then discussing those chapters.

Will there be a reading schedule posted for this book or should we just have it read and ready to discuss by the 15th of March?

I'm chomping at the bit to start it.  Had to start another book to hold back from starting this one.  I don't want to jump ahead and reveal any spoilers.

Lisa in Georgia

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill

Psychee wrote:

Max, I finished reading the book last night.  It was a great read.  I suppose I now have to wait to actually discuss it, but this reaction can't wait:  After years of letting you survive dangerous situations, fate dealt you a very cruel twist.  What a devastating blow!  I'm heart broken for you...  !

Psychee -- can't decide whether that is a spoiler or an incentive -- but then I am one who believes reading is seldom spoiled by "knowing" the outcome or the plot.

I have just reached the point of savoring the second "win" despite the dirty double dealing by the owners.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Psychee wrote:

Psychee -- can't decide whether that is a spoiler or an incentive -- but then I am one who believes reading is seldom spoiled by "knowing" the outcome or the plot.

Pepper -- That's why I wrote the message in a cryptic fashion.  You and everyone else reading the book will have to wait until you get to the last page to find out what I'm talking about.  But when you read it, you'll know why I couldn't wait to say something to Max about it. 

Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

Dear Psychee--many thanks for your kind thoughts and words. --Max

Inspired Contributor
lg4154
0 Kudos

I just got my copy as well. I cannot wait to get started!

Contributor
Bitter_Bierce

Hey Max, The one question that keeps going through my mind deals with international waters. You mention hot pursuit, but what keeps them from just lying? I mean I know there are people like that, but have you ever heard of cases (I'm halfway through the book, so I don't know if this does happen in Seized) like that? That a person is in international waters and it isn't a hot pursuit that they still claim that it was?
Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

Hi, Bitter--great question! In spite of modern vessel-tracking equipment, it's still a lying contest, and the winner usually depends on the outcome of the chase. If the gunboat manages to catch up with the fleeing vessel and forces her to stop with gunfire (or the threat thereof), then the corrupt court that seized the vessel in the first place will invariably rule that the gunboat had the vessel in sight the whole time, and therefore had the right of "hot pursuit." If the fleeing vessel manages to escape, the issue never arises, as I've never heard of a seizing jurisdiction trying to enforce a claim of hot pursuit in a foreign court. All the best--Max