Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: SEIZED: A Sea Captain's Adventures Battling Scoundrels and Pirates

Max, I'm almost finished with the book about 50 pages more to read.

What an interesting life you've lead so far.

It's a wonderful read and unlike many textbook like non-fiction works, it reads like what it is a high seas adventure novel.

I also had my library district pre-order it so that all of St. Charles County Missouri can enjoy the ride tool 

Is there anything you still want to do that you haven't up to this point?

Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

Dear Debbie

Thanks for your kind words, and thanks for getting your library to order a copy. I guess my biggest unfulfilled goal so far is to sail around the world, a journey on which I hope to start within the next year or so. Best regards--Max

Contributor
historygirl2008AS
0 Kudos

Hi, welcome to the boards thanks for letting us read your book I really like it so far.

Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone.  This is Michael sending a message on behalf of Max.  We wanted to let you know that there's plenty of info about Seized on Max's official website -- www.maxhardberger.com -- and on his Facebook fan page -- http://www.facebook.com/pages/Official-Max-Hardberger-Page/309713990416.  If you're on Facebook, we encourage you to become a "Facebook fan" to keep up with the latest news.  Over the next month we will photo photos of events and people in Seized, particularly from the last chapter, and we'll post video clips of Max discussing the book and his adventures.  So, check it out.  Thanks.

Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

If the above link to Max's Facebook page doesn't work, then try this one ---  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Official-Max-Hardberger-Page/309713990416

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thank you for both links!  =)

Max-Hardberger wrote:

If the above link to Max's Facebook page doesn't work, then try this one ---  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Official-Max-Hardberger-Page/309713990416

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks for the links, I've already checked out the web site and I'm a fan!!

Contributor
DreadPirateJeff
0 Kudos

YAY! I finished the book a few days ago, Max, and I have to say... WOW!  I'm really very sorry about what happened (I won't spoil it for those still reading) but I did want to extend my sympathies.

Other than that though, what a great read.  I generally shy away from biographical things as they tend to be somewhat dry, but you're book reads like an adventure novel, and it involves something I've always had an interest in anyway.

Very well written, and a lot of fun to read.  It was very hard to put down when I KNEW I needed to get back to work :smileyhappy:

In any case, I just wanted to say, great job! and I can't wait for the official discussion to begin.

I did want to ask about one thing though... did you ever have to deal with real pirates?  Given the upsurge in piracy these days (especially off the coast of Somolia (reminds me a lot of the Barbary Coast), did you ever have to go retrieve a ship that had been siezed through piracy, as opposed to ships siezed through crooked political dealings and businesses?

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I have about 50 pages to go to finish reading Seized. It is quite an exciting book about the corruption in the maritime industry that I never even knew existed. You have written a book that is easy to read but something tells me your life was not so easy. Someone up there has been watching over you, Max Hardberger.

Contributor
historygirl2008AS
0 Kudos

Thanks for the links! and I have to say Max what and Interesting life you've had! 

Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

What an exciting life...I keep telling myself that this book is TRUE and not fiction. So far I've been late to one appointment and missed another because I get so caught up in this story. Max, what do you do to relax?

Aine

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

Hi, Aine--thanks for your kind words about SEIZED. Actually, to relax, I watch movies, play chess, and go sailing. Not so exciting, but you're right--I get enough excitement in my professional life, so I tend to look for tranquil things to do in my off-time. All the best--Max

Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

Dear Jeff--Sorry I missed this question earlier. The answer is no, I haven't had to deal with "real pirates" who take ships by force. I've had some encounters with bandits and armed robbers, but they were trying to steal from the ship, not to take possession of it. And the ships I've repossessed weren't taken by force, but by guile or corruption, although in every case the thief or corrupt government was willing to use force to keep it. Best regards--Max

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Are you a very religious man in your heart?

You seem to have so much underlying faith in your ability to be successful in your endeavors and you have so much courage that I feel as if you must believe that some force is helping to guide you other than yourself. Also, with all that you have been through, you would need enormous strength to continue.

What do you think gives you your inner and outer courage to face the many situations that have confronted you, not always by choice, that others would find daunting or devastating and would not be able to go on as you have?

I have just passed your book on to my husband and have recommended it to several others. It is one of the few books that transcends gender preferences. I enjoyed reading it, although I wish I had had a better knowledge of some of the ports and places you visited beforehand. I think you tried really hard to place us there and I appreciated that effort.

RTA
Wordsmith
RTA
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

You seem to have so much underlying faith in your ability to be successful in your endeavors and you have so much courage that I feel as if you must believe that some force is helping to guide you other than yourself. 

I’ve always found it repugnant when believers foist their faith on others in such a way.  You are so strong and have so much courage “you must believe” in "some force."  [emphasis added] 

While I don’t doubt that courageous people can often be guided by faith in “some force,” rather than demanding that others "must believe" a certain way, common courtesy allows a person to decide and express that for themselves.

Frequent Contributor
momofprecious1
0 Kudos

I will be the first to admit that after reading the first 40 pages I was ready to put the book down & not read it. For me, it was dragging a bit. After reading posts on here where people were commending you on your book I decided to give it a second chance & I'm glad that I did. My husband was reading the book also & felt the same as me but now that I have finished the book & told him that I'm glad I read he has decided to continue to read it. I really enjoyed the book & I want to thank you & B & N's for giving us the opportunity to read this book. I normally wouldn't have picked up this book on my own. I was devastated when I read the end. I'm so sorry for such a tragedy.

Tuscania

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RTA wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

You seem to have so much underlying faith in your ability to be successful in your endeavors and you have so much courage that I feel as if you must believe that some force is helping to guide you other than yourself. 

I’ve always found it repugnant when believers foist their faith on others in such a way.  You are so strong and have so much courage “you must believe” in "some force."  [emphasis added] 

While I don’t doubt that courageous people can often be guided by faith in “some force,” rather than demanding that others "must believe" a certain way, common courtesy allows a person to decide and express that for themselves.

Just as I beat myself up for being so judgmental about people who are so judgmental (myself included) about people who are very judgmental?! :smileyvery-happy:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
RTA
Wordsmith
RTA
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Just as I beat myself up for being so judgmental about people who are so judgmental (myself included) about people who are very judgmental?! :smileyvery-happy:

Yet, note, I didn’t take exception to TWJ’s post for being judgmental, just for the excessive preaching, demanding that a person "must believe" something. 

Author
Max-Hardberger
0 Kudos

Dear Wandering--thanks for your kind words about SEIZED. As for my "inner and outer courage," I suspect the latter is greater than the former! Anyway, the only difference I can see between a brave man and a coward is that a brave man thinks and acts in spite of his fear. The fear level could well be the same. In my repossession work, as in any risky enterprise, one can lower the apprehension level with good intelligence and careful planning, and for Michael Bono, my partner in VessEx LLC, and me, our goal is to reduce the fear factor to a minimum consistent with success.

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, gang. As part of the way FIRST LOOK is regularly run, we'll be dividing the book into three parts:

Chapters 1-4

Chapters 5-8

Chapters 9-End

with individual threads for all three. (The third and final thread can also be used for whole-book discussion, if you have something which occurred in early chapters but became important only later, etc.)

This will help prevent questions and answers from spoiling the events in the book for those who have questions/comments but have not finished everything yet. I notice that this thread has already brushed up against these kinds of spoiler questions/comments, so it's best to close it now, so that those who want to discuss specific stories within the narrative have specific threads in which to do so.

Thank you for your patience, and thank you for stopping by already, Mr. Hardberger.