Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

Signs of Improvement

[ Edited ]

As there is, to some degree, a relationship between economics and psychology... I thought I'd share this little bit of nice news.

From CNN:

Recovery hopes begin to blossom

A growing number of economists say they see signs that the battered U.S. economy could start to recover as soon as this summer.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Unemployment at a 25-year high. Housing prices continuing to fall. Corporate titans such as General Motors on the brink of bankruptcy. There's no lack of bad economic news.

And yet, amid the gloom, there are a growing number of economists that see a recovery on the horizon -- perhaps even a strong rebound.

They say that a number of indicators appear to have bottomed out in recent months. Job losses may have peaked in January. Home sales are starting to pick up. Stocks are enjoying a strong rally...

Click here to read the full article

Have you seen any signs of economic improvement in your life, or in your area?

Message Edited by Jon_B on 04-07-2009 10:58 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Signs of Improvement

Thanks Jon..For the encouragement for all BNers..well,lets see Since the town is small, any place that is somewhat busy is always nice to see..We can"t go by all of our coffee/cafes are always busy,in fact if you walk around here it does have a faint smell of coffee,and baked goods......The bookstore always busy,nobody is working,so we all gather..My job at Stratton ended...A friend of mine who gives classes in Watercolors,he has had many signups,The Library Programs are full.....nobody is really shopping for stuff and we have alot of stuff here,jcrew etc,etc..Our supermarkets are packed..no matter what time you go...The most promising event is that a Software Co from Calif,with ties to Germany is buildind here  will hire 90 people..Thats the good news,and its so beautiful here that I really don't think too much about it(I am In Denial) Soon we will have the hikers,and since I am one of them its nice to see some of them same people again..I just feel badly for all the construction workers....building houses have come to a halt...Small Town Girl Vtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

China's injection of £396bn into the world economy will mean good news for all countries who trade with her and should improve the US trade imbalance. 

And there has been some small improvement in the UK economy.

On the down side, I am having trouble getting new lodgers because of the downturn in local businesses so I am unlikely to book a holiday this year but that is not the end of the world:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

How do you figure that this injection will have anything to do with our trade inbalance?

Choisya wrote:

China's injection of £396bn into the world economy will mean good news for all countries who trade with her and should improve the US trade imbalance. 

And there has been some small improvement in the UK economy.

On the down side, I am having trouble getting new lodgers because of the downturn in local businesses so I am unlikely to book a holiday this year but that is not the end of the world:smileyhappy: