Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Suggestions for May

For May, both Jon and I thought it would be interesting (and a relief) to take a departure from the more sober recent fare and read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success. Gladwell's books are incredibly readable, funny and fun pop-sci., pop-soc. and pop-psych examinations of trends, demographics and thought processes, and in Outliers, he looks at how the unique formative experiences and support systems of successful people say more about their success than what the pat "feature story" portraits of their post-success profiles offer us.

However, that's only one book, and we'd like to hear your recommendations for what you think would make an interesting companion piece to read. Obviously, it doesn't have to be explicitly about the same subject, but if we can tie it thematically or conceptually, that'd be great.

Following the recommendation of another B&N mod who got good results from such a system, we thought what everyone could do is PM me with up to two (2) suggestions for a second book for May. Then we'll pick the two books that have either the most nominations or, failing that, the most conceptual overlap and put them up for a vote in another thread, after the PMs are tallied. Whichever one gets the most votes will be our second book for May.

Please get your nominations in to me by the end of Saturday, and I'll put up a vote thread for Sunday and Monday. Tuesday morning, we'll name the winner, and hopefully that will be enough time for everyone to get a copy by the beginning of May.

Note: the deadlines for nominations and votes might get pushed back a few days, depending on how much feedback we get.
Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestions for May

As it turned out, actually, we got almost no feedback, which was disappointing for both of us. Only one poster wrote in, but the suggestion was really much better suited to another month. Since there was nothing else suggested to vote on, we agreed that doubling up on Gladwell, with his book The Tipping Point would be fun.

The choice seemed especially relevant since Utopian's recent posts about crime in New York City brought up an interesting discussion about race, poverty, new statistical analysis, the "broken windows" policy of policing, as well as the CompStat system of measuring enforcement, all of which are profiled in Gladwell's The Tipping Point.

I'll put up the standard "coming soon" monthly profile post within the next day or so.

Thanks.