Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

The Iraq War Turns Six

Six years, roughly 99,000 confirmed Iraqi dead4,260 American dead and as many as 45,000 wounded. At the war's inception, advocates' high estimate of cost was $100-200 billion, with administration officials estimating $50-60 billion. As of last year, however, the Washington Post reported the likely cost would be $3 trillion.

Moreover, and most frustratingly, those who promoted the war are still doing so under false pretenses. Last week, former White House Spokesman Ari Fleischer repeated the outright falsehood that Saddam Hussein bore responsibility for 9/11, while last night former (then) National Security Advisor Condoleeza Rice denied that the administration linked Iraq with Al Qaeda. In fact, click here to watch Rachel Maddow breaking down the clips of six-year-old falsehoods still being peddled. (Fair warning: Maddow's snarky tone is pretty grating and gets tiresome. The clips are bad enough; they don't need the sarcasm.)

Depressingly, many of the assertions made about the war were suspect at the time. Take this article from the day before the war in the Washington Post. It was buried on page 13. Yet every item it deems questionable turned out to be false. 

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: The Iraq War Turns Six

[ Edited ]

Depressingly, many of the assertions made about the war were suspect at the time. Take this article his article from the day before the war in the Washington Post. It was buried on page 13. Yet every item it deems questionable turned out to be false. 

When I first came onto these boards in 2003 Monty, I was depressed to see how many people were in favour of the war and how much propaganda about it they had 'swallowed'.  A higher percentage of the population in the UK were opposed to the war from the outset and I am proud to say that my family and I marched with 15,000 others against the war both before and after the invasion.  There has been a huge turnaround and it now seems that the majority of people on both sides of the Pond are aware of the lies their governments told them, of the debacle the war has become and of the 'gift' it has given to potential terrorists exploiting hatred of the West. 

As if the lies were not enough, thousands of innocent Iraqis have been detained without charge.  They are being freed this summer because there is little or no evidence against them. To the minority of Muslims who already hated the West and were prepared to commit atrocities against us, we have probably added thousands more.   It is a dreadful legacy for our children and grandchildren:smileysad:

At least this brave former US Colonel is promising to hold the Bush administration accountable for its war crimes in Iraq.

And there are those who think that the war in Afghanistan is unwinnable and is also likely to turn into a debacle which fosters more hatred.  Will we be posting similar things about Afghanistan in six years time to those you have posted here? 

L_Monty wrote:

Six years, roughly 99,000 confirmed Iraqi dead4,260 American dead and as many as 45,000 wounded. At the war's inception, advocates' high estimate of cost was $100-200 billion, with administration officials estimating $50-60 billion. As of last year, however, the Washington Post reported the likely cost would be $3 trillion.

Moreover, and most frustratingly, those who promoted the war are still doing so under false pretenses. Last week, former White House Spokesman Ari Fleischer repeated the outright falsehood that Saddam Hussein bore responsibility for 9/11, while last night former (then) National Security Advisor Condoleeza Rice denied that the administration linked Iraq with Al Qaeda. In fact, click here to watch Rachel Maddow breaking down the clips of six-year-old falsehoods still being peddled. (Fair warning: Maddow's snarky tone is pretty grating and gets tiresome. The clips are bad enough; they don't need the sarcasm.)

Depressingly, many of the assertions made about the war were suspect at the time. Take this article from the day before the war in the Washington Post. It was buried on page 13. Yet every item it deems questionable turned out to be false. 

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-21-2009 07:54 AM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

A Sixth Birthday Party.  Yes!  Time to celebrate!!

I'll bring the cake.  Does somebody have some candles they could bring?  

0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

Would rockets do?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Absolutely, as long as they're not tipped with depleted uranium.  Those things aren't healthy. 

Onward red glare!

TiggerBear wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Would rockets do?

0 Kudos

I found this story, Army Vet billed $3,000 for war wounds, horrible.  The worst thing was that I'm not surprised by it.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com