Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

The Obamas' European Tour, G20 Summit, NATO Anniversary

[ Edited ]

I thought folks might like to see some images and video clips from today's British Press about the astoundingly successful visit of President Obama and First Lady Michele during the meeting of the G20 Summit this week.  The simultaneous protests against the financial system which were taking place in the City of London did not mar the visit and were largely peaceful, except for a window breaking incident at the Royal Bank of Scotland.   Your First Lady was a wow! everywhere she went and created a sensation by hugging the Queen!

Dinner at Downing Street

President Obama

Michele's Hug

Michele's success 

New World Order

Protests

Scottish bank attacked

Message Edited by L_Monty on 04-05-2009 12:42 PM
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: Current UK Events.

Thanks for the links C, it looks like the Obamas were a success! I loved the Michelle, Queen moment!
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

An impressive and interesting set of links, Choisya.  I haven't been through them all yet, but thanks!

Choisya wrote:

I thought folks might like to see some images and video clips from today's British Press about the astoundingly successful visit of President Obama and First Lady Michele during the meeting of the G20 Summit this week.  The simultaneous protests against the financial system which were taking place in the City of London did not mar the visit and were largely peaceful, except for a window breaking incident at the Royal Bank of Scotland.   Your First Lady was a wow! everywhere she went and created a sensation by hugging the Queen!

Dinner at Downing Street

President Obama

Michele's Hug

Michele's success 

New World Order

Protests

Scottish bank attacked

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Another interesting Queen moment has been reported - she apparently chastised the Italian Premier Berlusconi for shouting.    

Michele Obama also made a big impression at a downtown school where she not only gave an inspiring talk to the girls there but gave them big hugs.  She seems a very warm, 'touchy-feely' person and I think she will be a great asset to Americans in the forthcoming years and, together with her imposing husband, will do much to repair the damage that has been done to the reputation of America over the past few years.

debbook wrote:
Thanks for the links C, it looks like the Obamas were a success! I loved the Michelle, Queen moment!

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Better US relations with Europe.

Welcome news!

Tom Raum of The Associated Press writes: "Welcomed with thunderous cheers, President Barack Obama pledged on Friday to repair damaged relations with Europe, saying the world came together following the 2001 terrorist attacks, but then 'we got sidetracked by Iraq.'"
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I'm glad that he was direct, acknowledging America's arrogance and dismissal of Europe but calling Europe on it's anti-Americanism. Only the direct approach is going to work now. People are tired of rhetoric and lies. I think he has done America proud on this trip

Choisya wrote:
Welcome news!

Tom Raum of The Associated Press writes: "Welcomed with thunderous cheers, President Barack Obama pledged on Friday to repair damaged relations with Europe, saying the world came together following the 2001 terrorist attacks, but then 'we got sidetracked by Iraq.'"

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Yes, it was a wide and even handed speech.  He has done wonders for you but I still worry about Afghanistan because there is a lot of opposition to the war there on this side of the Pond. The Europeans have not committed many more troops because of this.  We favour increased surveillance and diplomatic activity, place less emphasis on Al Queda and even less on Bin Laden. These terrorists groups are in a number of countries, acting under many names and with a variety of leaders - concentrating so many resources on Afghanistan is going to weaken efforts elsewhere.  It also antagonises even more Muslims, just as the war in Iraq did, which potentially breeds more terrorists. 

debbook wrote:
I'm glad that he was direct, acknowledging America's arrogance and dismissal of Europe but calling Europe on it's anti-Americanism. Only the direct approach is going to work now. People are tired of rhetoric and lies. I think he has done America proud on this trip

Choisya wrote:
Welcome news!

Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

This seemed like a good discussion that would have some legs and go its own places, so I split it out from the Community Room, just so the conversation didn't get fragmented with random stuff. 
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

While I am probably not going to find or be able to make time for the whole thing, I am finding Ghost Wars useful in thinking about Afghanistan. I fear too  many citizens everywhere in the world are too ignorant about that country, its politics, its people, and its leaders.

Choisya wrote:

Yes, it was a wide and even handed speech.  He has done wonders for you but I still worry about Afghanistan because there is a lot of opposition to the war there on this side of the Pond. The Europeans have not committed many more troops because of this.  We favour increased surveillance and diplomatic activity, place less emphasis on Al Queda and even less on Bin Laden. These terrorists groups are in a number of countries, acting under many names and with a variety of leaders - concentrating so many resources on Afghanistan is going to weaken efforts elsewhere.  It also antagonises even more Muslims, just as the war in Iraq did, which potentially breeds more terrorists.

debbook wrote:
I'm glad that he was direct, acknowledging America's arrogance and dismissal of Europe but calling Europe on it's anti-Americanism. Only the direct approach is going to work now. People are tired of rhetoric and lies. I think he has done America proud on this trip.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Yes, i worry too. As I've said before I hope Afghanistan does not become Obama's Iraq

Choisya wrote:

debbook wrote:

Choisya wrote:
Welcome news!

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: 'The Obama Manner...'

Le Monde reports that '... something has changed in the relations with the United States... Something about Mr. Obama, that could be sensed, but which this trip has confirmed ...There is an Obama manner that expresses a new type of American leadership, less arrogant, less hectoring, less peremptory....; a thousand miles away from an imperial manner that contributed in no small way to fostering anti-Americanism in the world.'

And he did well in Turkey too.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Unique Obama.

'In America's struggle against the extremists and terrorists epitomized by al-Qaeda, the strategic imperatives are to divide the enemy and neutralize their base. Fortunately for the United States and its allies, the new American president understands how to do that - and is uniquely suited to accomplish the mission.'