Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

Time for the Royal Wedding

The wedding of the decade is almost upon us. Too bad we have to wake up at o'dark thirty to watch it.  My plan, so far, is to be up before 5 am to watch the big event. Although by the time the alarm goes off, I may change my mind.

Will anyone else be up to watch it? From what I've been hearing us American's are more excited about it than the British.

cork_dork_mom
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill

Re: Time for the Royal Wedding

cork_dork_mom wrote:

The wedding of the decade is almost upon us. Too bad we have to wake up at o'dark thirty to watch it.  My plan, so far, is to be up before 5 am to watch the big event. Although by the time the alarm goes off, I may change my mind.

Will anyone else be up to watch it? From what I've been hearing us American's are more excited about it than the British.

I got up for Diana and Charles. (We were enjoying clips from that era last night.)  I shall set my alarm for this one, too.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh, isn't it great to be American and free to be flattered by royalty?

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

Oh, it is sooo exquiste.

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

I think I did a poo.

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

I am sorry for the silliness.  You must forgive me.  I am a proud Australian who believes that the English Puritans of 1649 weren't perfect but pretty close.

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

It was so worth getting up before the sun to see the wedding. It was amazing. Not only for the pomp and pageantry but William & Kate seem to be quite in love. We having nothing that comes close to this and I for one think it's wonderful.

cork_dork_mom
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Way too early for me, and then I had to work, so I will just have to catch whatever footage I can later.  Maybe they'll play the whole thing at some point.  Although I have to give priority to the figure skating world championship for a few days.  But I would love to see the royal wedding!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

There has been some sniping over here in Australia about Kate's dress.  I thought that she looked beautiful: plain, simple, elegant.  What do the ladies think?  Because I can guess what the gays are thinking, that she should've looked like a bunch of fairy floss (candy floss, I think in America).  But then the modern woman would have had her look like an angel of death or something equally horrendous.  No, she was perfect, a picture of health in an otherwise rotten institution.

KathyS

Got up at 1 a.m. to see it from start to finish (I live on the west coast, USA).  I watched it on a PBS UK channel, and viewed it without any commercial breaks.

I took over a hundred pictures from my TV, and found the camera angles were the best I've ever seen, from the people to the cathedral.  I even caught the bells ringing.  Wow, Kate and William were the picture to capture, though, so beautiful, and accessible to everyone, from royalty to commoner.  Kate's dress was outstanding, simple yet elegant.  I loved it!

Barbara Walters, last night, had a very nice recap.  In watching other channels discuss the dresses and hats of these spectators, it was hilarious, and I was laughing so hard at these comments, it was worth watching the wedding just to view those silly and ridiculous hats!  What were some of these women thinking?

Anyway, I enjoyed all of this pomp and circumstance, it's not like we see this everyday. 

In the same breath, I am feeling so, so very sorry for what has happened to all of the people in our southern states, the reality of devastation, loss of lives and heartbreak, certainly tears at my heart.  Life continues on, in one way or another, whether we like it or not, for everyone.

dulcinea3

KathyS wrote:

Barbara Walters, last night, had a very nice recap.  In watching other channels discuss the dresses and hats of these spectators, it was hilarious, and I was laughing so hard at these comments, it was worth watching the wedding just to view those silly and ridiculous hats!  What were some of these women thinking?

My Dear Queen Dowager Kathy,

The Hats and Outfits did not Compare to what we wore at the Royal Garden Hat Party when we visited the Unladylike Choisya and the Queen - dost Thy Majesty not Remember?!

Obeisantly Yours,

Dame Dulcinea

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

carusmm wrote:

There has been some sniping over here in Australia about Kate's dress.  I thought that she looked beautiful: plain, simple, elegant.  What do the ladies think?  Because I can guess what the gays are thinking, that she should've looked like a bunch of fairy floss (candy floss, I think in America).  But then the modern woman would have had her look like an angel of death or something equally horrendous.  No, she was perfect, a picture of health in an otherwise rotten institution.

Well, if you really want to know:

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2011/04/the-royal-wedding-the-bride.html

They seemed to like it.  There are other posts about the wedding, as well.

Actually, in America, we call it cotton candy.

Kate looked beautiful, as did her sister.  Edward and Harry looked dashing.  It was a lovely wedding all around.

KathyS

dulcinea3 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

My Dear Queen Dowager Kathy,

The Hats and Outfits did not Compare to what we wore at the Royal Garden Hat Party when we visited the Unladylike Choisya and the Queen - dost Thy Majesty not Remember?!

Obeisantly Yours,

Dame Dulcinea

My Dear Dame Dulcinea,

You must forgive me, I had forgotten about our Royal Garden Hat Party.  My memory, these days, has been stuck playing croquette with a bunch of nincompoops, and it is giving me such fits of forgetfulness, I do even forget where I am at times! 

I have a Derby Party to attend to this weekend, and I am trying to out-do the do of my friend Hatter in choosing just the right hat for this occasion.  Hats are such a nuisance.

Your obedient Queen Mother,

Kathy

Duchy of HIghland Palms

Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

carusmm wrote:

Well, if you really want to know:

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2011/04/the-royal-wedding-the-bride.html

They seemed to like it.  There are other posts about the wedding, as well.

Actually, in America, we call it cotton candy.

Kate looked beautiful, as did her sister.  Edward and Harry looked dashing.  It was a lovely wedding all around.

Tom and Lorenzo seem impressive judges of fashion.

Also, you mean that William and Harry looked dashing, don't you?

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

carusmm wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Yes, of course.  It must have been a slip because I kept thinking that William looked like Edward from the back, with his thinning hair.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

carusmm wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Yes, of course.  It must have been a slip because I kept thinking that William looked like Edward from the back, with his thinning hair.

????

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
carusmm
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

carusmm wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

????

Edward is the youngest brother of Prince Charles and balding like William.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I actually found an article (from 2009), where they had noticed William's thinning hair and ran photos of him and Edward side by side (so I see I'm not the only one who found a resemblance!).

Prince William at Centrepointprince edward

William's hair loss has increased a bit more since then.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Why the pervasiveness of that genetic trait!  It apparently passes along the matriarchal line.  (My son has inherited it.  :smileysad:  )  Although that doesn't make sense of the similarity for William and Edward.