Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

B&N Bookseller
Bonnie_W
0 Kudos

Trends in Hatred and Prejudice

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has some good book and/or movie suggestions for me in regards to the topic of hatred/prejudice.  In particular, I'd like to take a closer look at the psychology behind such crimes, though I'm not sure what all exists.  Anything will do, it doesn't have to be from a particular time in history, etc, or even a "real" event if something fictional deals with the topic.  I'm trying to get into this mindset as much as possible for the mindset of certain characters in something I've been wanting to write for a while (and hope to start during National Novel Writing Month).

For example, I've been reading Hitler's Willing Executioners (why did German citizens follow Hitler?  I'm most interested in reading about this aspect of the Holocaust) and am about to read Not By The Sword  (which is about a former KKK leader that turns around and pulls a 180 in regards to his beliefs).  I've also seen movies/tv shows that focus on a fear of people who are "different" in supernatural settings such as X-Men: Trilogy Pack  and Roswell: Season 1.  I'm going to re-watch American History X  soon, since a co-worker recommended it.

Any good ideas?  I'd appreciate any suggestions (it would also be helpful to mention why you think the title would be helpful, if possible). ^_^

Thanks in advance!

http://abackwardsstory.blogspot.com for ideas on what to read next!
(Last author interviewed: Michelle Madow; Last book reviewed: CADET OF TILDOR; Giving away: CADET OF TILDOR until Jan 31! :smileyhappy:
Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Re: Trends in Hatred and Prejudice

[ Edited ]

Well, I personally would advise against Goldhagen and Hitler's Willing Executioners. It has substantial errors of interpretation and sourcing. On the hyper-critical end, Norman Finkelstein (himself a son of survivors of Auschwitz) condemns the book, but Finkelstein himself is disliked for being very anti-Zionist and a sharp critic of Israel. On a more mainstream critical end, Ian Kershaw soft-pedaled his dislike of Goldhagen, and Kershaw's pretty much THE guy on Hitler, German society and the Holocaust. For a series of essays he wrote on the topic, spanning about 25 years of research and an evolution of his ideas, I would heartily recommend Hitler, the Germans, and the Final Solution .

Lastly, why go so far afield? Why not look at home? Tim Wise is a powerful, emotional and engaging writer, and the man comes to any argument armed with a machine-gun of data.

Speaking Treason Fluently  is a brilliantly argued series of essays about why it's his duty as a white man to condemn the pervasive racism of white social, political and economic dominance in America. His specific aim is to counter the idea that white people are somehow the victims of "reverse racism" or have somehow become the "losers" in the race debate. If that doesn't sound compelling to you yet, maybe consider clicking this video of his argument against the repeal of Affirmative Action, moderated by NRP's Robert Siegel.

I guess embedding doesn't work anymore. Click this.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Journey to the Center of the Earth (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

I just read "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne. Although "science fiction", "Journey" includes pre-WW2 scientific and historic facts. German cities like Hamburg, for example, were volcanic eruptions of knowledge and scientific advancement. In fact, some of the science can actually be linked to the volcanic eruption of Krakatoa...

Chad

Correspondent
Reader1793
0 Kudos

Sorry... this is kinda random, but... the Nazis is mean. Theyz is a bit crazy!!!
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - EAP