Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: US military chiefs warn against lifting gay ban too quickly

[ Edited ]

I agree with all of the following statements in part only:

"They're doing it because it goes to the root of the discussion."

"Because taxonomy and scientific means of classifying things are important."

"Queer is largely seen as a positive and progressive word, and anyone not using it in that context is REALLY obvious."

"I mean, we can also fold in the fact that a large percentage of the American military is very Christian"

"At this point we're going back into the genesis of linguistics and anthropological understanding of difference. "

And my responses to some of the above:

Religion is often viewed as the main discriminatory entiity.

There is an online dictionary that might give a better understanding of the word, "homosexual." I'm not sure if the word is that old, like the word  "genocide". another topic on the current events board. (That is, if you want to use the online encyclopedias or dictionaries. Some degrees are now offered online however)

"N-word?" We can use the word "queer" here. If "queer theory" is the process of "taking back" a word and changing it somehow, maybe something better than "queer theory" is in order ,or maybe no theory?

And finally, coming from Twain, not linguistics necessarily: words are language, not people. Language can be an N-word, a queer and a homosexual.
Chad