Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

What should the President read?

[ Edited ]

I thought some folks here would enjoy this article:

From Books, New President Found Voice

I noted back when we were discussed The Post-American World in our Current Events board that Barack Obama is a fan of the book.  This article concerns his love of books in general and how, to a large degree, both his political success, idealogical position, and personality are related to his being an avid reader.

Much has been made of Mr. Obama’s eloquence — his ability to use words in his speeches to persuade and uplift and inspire. But his appreciation of the magic of language and his ardent love of reading have not only endowed him with a rare ability to communicate his ideas to millions of Americans while contextualizing complex ideas about race and religion, they have also shaped his sense of who he is and his apprehension of the world.

Aside from making the great point that reading a lot can help you go far in life, the article mentions some of Obama's favorite authors - which raises the question, we know now what Obama enjoys reading.... but what should he be reading?

Suppose Obama's office contacted you and appointed you as the Presidential Reading Czar, and your job was to provide a list of books for the new President to read that would be the most useful to him as he starts his new job.  What would you pick, and why?

Message Edited by Jon_B on 01-19-2009 07:49 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: What should the President read?

I originally posted this in the Community Room the other day but I think it might do better among the politically minded folks in here..

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

The Bible

Plato's Republic

Plato's Gorgias

Milton's Paradise Lost

Plutarch's Lives

Gibbon's Decline and Fall

Montaigne's Essays

The concepts of truth, justice, and personal integrity are not new.  They are ancient and universal.  He will do best by going back to books which are not overladen with short-term contemporary problems and issues, but rather by going back to the books that strip these concepts of transient temporal distractions and lay bare the concepts of how to govern wisely and how to live a just life.

0 Kudos

Perhaps he will need the Little Book of Calm?:smileyhappy:   I note that he has read Moby Dick but I guess he will have little time for reading such weighty tomes now and may want some lighter fair.  Satirists perhaps?  What American satirists would folks recommend?    

I also think he should get a Kindle so that he has a very wide selection on hand at all times.  

Jon_B wrote:

I thought some folks here would enjoy this article:

From Books, New President Found Voice

I noted back when we were discussed The Post-American World in our Current Events board that Barack Obama is a fan of the book.  This article concerns his love of books in general and how, to a large degree, both his political success, idealogical position, and personality are related to his being an avid reader.

Much has been made of Mr. Obama’s eloquence — his ability to use words in his speeches to persuade and uplift and inspire. But his appreciation of the magic of language and his ardent love of reading have not only endowed him with a rare ability to communicate his ideas to millions of Americans while contextualizing complex ideas about race and religion, they have also shaped his sense of who he is and his apprehension of the world.

Aside from making the great point that reading a lot can help you go far in life, the article mentions some of Obama's favorite authors - which raises the question, we know now what Obama enjoys reading.... but what should he be reading?

Suppose Obama's office contacted you and appointed you as the Presidential Reading Czar, and your job was to provide a list of books for the new President to read that would be the most useful to him as he starts his new job.  What would you pick, and why?

Message Edited by Jon_B on 01-19-2009 07:49 AM

New User
PerritaNegrita
0 Kudos

How about the holy books of each major religion in the world? 

Reading is to the Mind what Exercise is to the Body.
-Sir Richard Steele
Reader 4
CuriousGeoff
0 Kudos

I think he should read all the major religion's holy books and a bunch of philosophical stuff, so we have a president who can look and think critically about any situation while understanding where the people in question are coming from and exactly what he can do about it.

And the Constitution wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I'd say he should start with The Constitution and follow up with The Federalist Papers.  After that, I'd recommend

A More Perfect Union

A Monetary History of the United States

Capitalism and Freedom

The Hockey Stick Illusion

Lies the Government Told You

Atlas Shrugged

Starship Troopers

The Notebooks of Lazarus Long

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed