Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

I don't know how to actually link an address but please go to this NPR Story, Did Obama Kill Public Campaign Finance? by Linton Weeks

 

Here is one small quote:

 

Irony alert: The Republican standard-bearer is using federal grants, while the Democrat extols the free-market virtues of individual campaign donations.

 

And another:

 

Millions of donors giving relatively small amounts — as opposed to large interest groups giving unlimited amounts — is, arguably, further democratization of the process. The Obama campaign reports it had 632,000 new donors in September, and the average gift was less than $100.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

Why should I as a tax payer help finance a campaign that I don't believe in?
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

Oh yeah I forgot.  So McCain is a man of honor (becaue you agree with him) and Obama isn't (because you don't) right?  I don't disagree that McCain is a man of honor, but so is Obama.  Neither one would have ran for president if they didn't love this country and honor it's people and values.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

Whoa, I never said Obama was not a man of honor. I said he did not honor his agreement. Now why are you being sarcastic? I don't mean to be making your angry. I was actually enjoying our "conversation".

 twj


fforgnayr wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot.  So McCain is a man of honor (becaue you agree with him) and Obama isn't (because you don't) right?  I don't disagree that McCain is a man of honor, but so is Obama.  Neither one would have ran for president if they didn't love this country and honor it's people and values.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic.  I come across that way sometimes when I talk, and apparently when I type.  I didn't mean it that way.  I was only trying to flush out your statement to see if that is what you meant.  This is the second time I have had to apologize to you (I just did on the other thread).  I will try to make sure I don't have to do it again.  I am enjoying this as well. 

 

I promise I am not angry, as I told Everyman earlier today, I take this stuff seriously not personaly.

 


thewanderingjew wrote:

Whoa, I never said Obama was not a man of honor. I said he did not honor his agreement. Now why are you being sarcastic? I don't mean to be making your angry. I was actually enjoying our "conversation".

 twj


fforgnayr wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot.  So McCain is a man of honor (becaue you agree with him) and Obama isn't (because you don't) right?  I don't disagree that McCain is a man of honor, but so is Obama.  Neither one would have ran for president if they didn't love this country and honor it's people and values.

 


 

 
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

Some info on Obama's campaign contributions are covered here. It may be a right wing website but you don't really think a left wing website would investigate his campaign contributions, do you? When you google, this is one of the websites that comes up first.
Truthfully, I don't know if it is accurate but it is another point of view. I will keep checking it out if you like but I think it would be better to move on because the race is over and he won so all these issues are now moot. Let's just hope he does a great job and is prepared for the task he has undertaken.

btw, if you want to post a link, highlight the word you want to use as your link; then click on the little chain not far from the smiley face and a window will pop up. then just cut and paste the webpage you want to link to right onto the line for the link url and click insert. The word will turn blue an be underlined.
twj

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

Why are we both up at this ungodly hour or are you somewhere else where it isn't past 1:30 in the morning?

twj 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

Thank you for telling me how to do the whole link thing.  I've been trying to figure it out and I couldn't.  Actually it's only 12:37 am here (not that it is much better).  I'm in Wichita, KS.  You?
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

I am in the land of sunshine and orange juice...Florida!
twj
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

Nice state, too hot for me but so is Kansas.  I'm originally from northern Minnesota.  I do have some friends and family down there though. 

 

And you are right, he won so the subject is kind of mute.

 

I still want to know who the terrorists Huckabee was talking about though

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

When it gets really hot here I go to MA. I used to live in MN in Edina and Richfield. Do you live anywhere near there? I really loved MN. The people were so nice. When they asked you how you were feeling, they actually waited to get a response.
twj
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

I actually am from Two Harbors, a town north of Duluth, right on the shore of Lake Superior. And you are right the people are very nice, down to earth.  I'm probably one of a few people who wants to retire back there.  Everyone else goes south.  I miss the snow and the scenery.  There is not a lot to look at in Kansas.  How long were you in MN?

 

As to why I'm still up, I am cooking lunch for tomorrow.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

Whoops, I forgot to answer your question about economic terrorism. I suspect Huckabee was accusing people who were friendly to the cause of the liberals of messing with the stock market because of the coincidence of the economic crisis occurring at the same time McCain was closing the gap. I thought it was foolish since it certainly had a lot of unintended consequences all around the world.
btw, MN elected Jesse Ventura so why not Al Franken? That said, I agree with you. I hope he doesn't win.
twj
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

If that's the case I'm not sure I have a lot of faith in Huckabee's intelligence anymore.  I have never been one into conspiracy theories of any kind.  They are too complicated and have to many variables to really ever pull off.

 

As far as Al Franken, he is our version of Ann Coulter or Sean Hannity.  I don't really like Michael Moore for the same reasons.  They are not who I want representing my party.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
Posts: 2,247
Registered: ‎12-18-2007
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

[ Edited ]
Well, I am up because I have terrible sleeping habits. I lived in MN for about 3 1/2 years, My husband worked for a company in Eden Prairie. I am not sure if it is okay to have this kind of a conversation on the board. Do you know how to send a PM? I will send you this message that way too. If you know how, answer there.
twj
Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 11-08-2008 01:56 AM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

I think I responded to the PM right, but not sure.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism : Campaign finance.

[ Edited ]

I agree Fforgnayr, McCain could have done the same thing and would have no doubt spent the money on similar publicity.  I think one of the most inspiring and democratic things about the Obama campaign was the decision to raise money from ordinary supporters instead of relying on public or corporate money.  Political parties the world over will be looking at how he did this, especially as a lot was raised via the internet.  What was needed, however, was a limit on how much could be spent on the election - on both sides.  I don't think anyone anticipated how popular the Obama campaign would be and therefore how much it would raise but it certainly showed the need to curtail election spending in one way or another.

 

McCain's decision to continue with public funding can now be seen as a bad one, which contributed to his defeat.  It will be interesting to see if President Obama takes steps to redress the issues around public funding, which he criticised as 'broken' at the start of his campaign, and whether the Republicans will support him.

 

 


fforgnayr wrote:
Actually no I wouldn't say that because most of the money that Obama (or McCain in your argument) came from people like me who gave small amounts.  I gave the campaign $75 and I bought a T-Shirt for $29.  The money came from the people.  If McCain had done the same thing, good for him. 
Message Edited by Choisya on 11-08-2008 05:14 AM
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

The European  answer to this would be because you are a democrat, fforgnayr, and believe that all political parties should have the chance of equal representation.  A number of European countries have public financing of elections although the UK does not - yet.   

 


fforgnayr wrote:
Why should I as a tax payer help finance a campaign that I don't believe in?

 

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? huh?

As someone who has been 'in at the deep end' of monitoring contributions towards elections, I can confidently say that keeping track of them, especially during an election, is a nightmare and many discrepancies occur.  I take it that your system, like ours, will have the proper checks and balances in place.  I think it is highly unlikely that the Obama campaign managers will be able to sustain any illegalities in the light of the massive scrutiny that will now take place and therefore all will eventually be resolved.

 

Although the race has been won I think the funding issues are very important because scrutinising them now will enable your legislators to come up with better practices for the next election.    

 

 


thewanderingjew wrote:

Some info on Obama's campaign contributions are covered here. It may be a right wing website but you don't really think a left wing website would investigate his campaign contributions, do you? When you google, this is one of the websites that comes up first.
Truthfully, I don't know if it is accurate but it is another point of view. I will keep checking it out if you like but I think it would be better to move on because the race is over and he won so all these issues are now moot. Let's just hope he does a great job and is prepared for the task he has undertaken.

btw, if you want to post a link, highlight the word you want to use as your link; then click on the little chain not far from the smiley face and a window will pop up. then just cut and paste the webpage you want to link to right onto the line for the link url and click insert. The word will turn blue an be underlined.
twj


 

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: economic terrorism??? Disinformation.

I really do think these arguments about the 'honour' of this 'agreement' are unfair.  Obama changed his mind about the way in which he wanted to fund his campaign and McCain could have done the same but didn't.  It was his choice. They both kept to the letter of the law and it was a question of strategy, not honour.   

 

I do agree that neither man would/could have run for President if they 'didn't love their country and honor it's people and values'.  For instance, all the talk of Obama being linked to 'terrorism' is dirty  propaganda as no candidate would get to run for such high office if there was any truth in such allegations - they would have been made public long ago.  In the UK we had such a campaign waged against one of our Prime Ministers in the 60s - that he was a communist in league with Russia etc - but it was all found out to be 'disinformation' put out by his opponents.  There is a lot of 'disinformation' used by both sides at election times and it is as well to be on our guard about the use of it.

 

(I see one of the latest slurs is that Obama's Chief of Staff, Emanuel, has a father linked to Irgun, the former 'terrorist' organisation which fought to establish Israel. Several Prime Ministers of Israel and many of their leading citizens were also involved with it.  Just as Nelson Mandela and other ANC members were involved in trying to overthrow the racist South African government. This has not prevented all Presidents of the US and other world leaders meeting and negotiating with them when or before their 'causes' became a fait d'accompli.  Times change, people and politics move on.  Such slurs by opponents only serve to denigrate their own cause.)