Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
PinkBaby
0 Kudos

sara palin

i really  havent been impressed with sara palin. she doesnt thrill me at all. how does she appeal to working mothers. when normal working mothers dont have as much money as she does:smileyindifferent:
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: sara palin

i wasn't aware of the fact that palin had so much money. where is all this money coming from? does anyone know how much the family earns etc.? we should explore this.
that said, to be fair, how do you feel about joe biden's fortunes? he might have a "tad" more money than she has and he is also running for vp. let's look into both bank books. how did you feel about hillary's finances? she was running for president. do you think michelle obama is a "normal working mother". there are a lot of questions out there and they cannot only be addressed to the candidate of the party you oppose.
i am not sure mc cain or obama represent most of the country financially either. money seems to be a prerequiste for politics these days. you need a lot of money to run.
twj
ps: btw, can can you tell me how you create a new thread like this one? thanks.

PinkBaby wrote:
i really havent been impressed with sara palin. she doesnt thrill me at all. how does she appeal to working mothers. when normal working mothers dont have as much money as she does:smileyindifferent:

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: new threads

twj, at the top of each board, under browse book clubs, it says new message. just click on it and don't forget to fill in the header, I've done that.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: new threads

thanks so much, i found it.
twj

debbook wrote:

twj, at the top of each board, under browse book clubs, it says new message. just click on it and don't forget to fill in the header, I've done that.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

sarah palin's finances are somewhat covered in this article.
twj
PinkBaby wrote:
i really havent been impressed with sara palin. she doesnt thrill me at all. how does she appeal to working mothers. when normal working mothers dont have as much money as she does:smileyindifferent:

Contributor
sp2112
0 Kudos

May I ask what a normal working mother makes? While on the subject, what is a normal working mother and how do I pick her out of a crowd?

Contributor
look
0 Kudos

I am the author of The Unspoken(what the world don't talk about). Sara Palin seems to be a nice lady but she need to talk about  how she and John Mccain is going to help to struggling americans. I think their agenda is way off from the real problem in america. When you have people can't pay their rent and buy food. When their is no jobs in the poor communites. When people have to rob paul to pay peter, it's a problem. Do you think so?  >   
jlb
Contributor
esskay
0 Kudos

I am not impressed by Sara Palin at all, nor am I interested in John McCain.  I believe that the choice of Sara Palin to just an attempt by McCain to "One Up" Obama.  I did not know that Sara Palin has alot of money.  In that case, I believe that it would be extremely difficult for her to be in touch with the average working class American. Change???  I believe that if these two are elected, we are in for more of the same that the last eight years have brought us.
Sandra
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Well said, esskay!
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I did not know that Sara Palin has alot of money.  In that case, I believe that it would be extremely difficult for her to be in touch with the average working class American.

I assume, then, that you also think that Obama and Biden are unable to be in touch with the average working class American.  They are both in the Senate, which is one of the cushiest work environments on earth.  Beyond high pay, they get subsidized gourmet meals on site, subsidized haircuts, free trips overseas, a medical plan the average American can only dream of, large office staffs paid for by the taxpayer, and the chance to raise huge amounts of money from people who, of course, donate only out of pure goodness of heart and would never, never think that their donations would by them any influence or preferable treatment.  

esskay wrote:
I am not impressed by Sara Palin at all, nor am I interested in John McCain.  I believe that the choice of Sara Palin to just an attempt by McCain to "One Up" Obama.  I did not know that Sara Palin has alot of money.  In that case, I believe that it would be extremely difficult for her to be in touch with the average working class American. Change???  I believe that if these two are elected, we are in for more of the same that the last eight years have brought us.

0 Kudos

Everyman - you forgot one of the biggest perks to being a senator - you can virtually be absent from your job for over a year while you campaign for another job and STILL get paid. If this is the biggest taxpayer ripoff, I don't know what is!
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Good point.  In fact, it's been said that one of the candidate has been campaigning for Presidency since the first day he walked into the Senate building.  Whether or not true, he certainly hasn't given the people their money's worth in Senate pay and workload. 

momgee wrote:
Everyman - you forgot one of the biggest perks to being a senator - you can virtually be absent from your job for over a year while you campaign for another job and STILL get paid. If this is the biggest taxpayer ripoff, I don't know what is!

0 Kudos

there is a new hate being spewed on the radio, etc. stating that mc cain had cancer (melanoma) 6 times (an article in the times in march noted 4 as the number) and is 72. basically, they want to know if you would trust sarah palin in the job. my answer to that is, pelosi is next in line after palin and she is around 68 1/2. (i do remember hearing somewhere that she was closer to 70-71 but somehow that info has changed recently). i know nothing about her medical history, but would you want her in that office? so now there is a new bias called "ageism".

in addition there are women's groups sending emails out that basically say the same thing about the age and health of mc cain. i say the same thing to them. would they want nancy pelosi in that seat?

twj

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

look wrote:
I am the author of The Unspoken(what the world don't talk about). Sara Palin seems to be a nice lady but she need to talk about  how she and John Mccain is going to help to struggling americans. I think their agenda is way off from the real problem in america. When you have people can't pay their rent and buy food. When their is no jobs in the poor communites. When people have to rob paul to pay peter, it's a problem. Do you think so?  >   

As a woman I still wouldn't vote for her. She's Pro life,  nope sorry. She voted against sex education in schools, !?! what is they major reason for teenage pregnancies, a lack of sex education. As more sex education is in schools you get rapid dropping pregnancy levels. (shaking  head) And for her third strike her running mate. 

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I'm with you, Tigger Bear. Sarah seems to be  teflon-ed, and no matter what truths emerge about her, there seems to be minimal impact. Nancy Pelose would be OK with me.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Contributor
Booksmith
0 Kudos

It's certainly going to be an interesting Fall regardless!
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

for those of you who are in favor of nancy pelosi, perhaps you would be interested in this website: she is, by the way, one of the richest members of congress, a mother of 5 which should, according to the comments here, impede her ability to serve, and has an unusual voting record. she represents a guaranteed democratic voting district to which she was appointe, originally. pelosi

for info on palin

Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 09-15-2008 03:58 PM
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

esskay wrote:

So True!  The Truth was never more real than you just stated!  Thanks!  And remember a Vice President's job mainly involves what the president wants him or her to do which is usually something petty or something he doesn't want to do. So if women realize that, they should know this is the same thing that women are handed every day!  Someone's else's job they do not want.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

there is a new hate being spewed on the radio, etc. stating that mc cain had cancer (melanoma) 6 times (an article in the times in march noted 4 as the number) and is 72. basically, they want to know if you would trust sarah palin in the job. my answer to that is, pelosi is next in line after palin and she is around 68 1/2. (i do remember hearing somewhere that she was closer to 70-71 but somehow that info has changed recently). i know nothing about her medical history, but would you want her in that office? so now there is a new bias called "ageism".

in addition there are women's groups sending emails out that basically say the same thing about the age and health of mc cain. i say the same thing to them. would they want nancy pelosi in that seat?

twj

Why wouldn't they make good Presidents. The age shouldn't matter if they are alert and all that. ?
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

as far as sex education goes, check out the article in the la times

there appear to be a lot of rumors that are unproven and not true out there and those that spread them don't seem to be concerned with fact checking them.

from la times article: (i wouldn't consider this paper unfairly biased against liberals, would you?)

"The Republican vice presidential candidate says students should be taught about condoms. Her running mate -- and the party platform -- disagree. "

twj

TiggerBear wrote:

look wrote:
I am the author of The Unspoken(what the world don't talk about). Sara Palin seems to be a nice lady but she need to talk about how she and John Mccain is going to help to struggling americans. I think their agenda is way off from the real problem in america. When you have people can't pay their rent and buy food. When their is no jobs in the poor communites. When people have to rob paul to pay peter, it's a problem. Do you think so? >

As a woman I still wouldn't vote for her. She's Pro life, nope sorry. She voted against sex education in schools, !?! what is they major reason for teenage pregnancies, a lack of sex education. As more sex education is in schools you get rapid dropping pregnancy levels. (shaking head) And for her third strike her running mate.